Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How long did you bf for?

Expert Forum User

DD was weaned about 10-11 months before I started back at work. It didn't seem to phase her

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

3 years. He didn't want to wean, but it was time .

2.5 with some encouragement. We'll see with dd, I think it will be soon.
    Why yes I'm a Doula! (in training) come check out my Facebook for more info!. Or PM me!
    https://www.facebook.com/greatexpectationsdoula

here is my doulamatch profile: http://doulamatch.net/profile/6878/kate-williamson

Expert Forum User

my first weaned himself at 20 months because I was pregnant and my milk dried up around the 5 month mark
    my second weaned herself at 10.5 months because she didn't like the taste of my milk after I needed to take some antibiotics. I tried everything to get her back on the breast but she refused. I pumped for her until she was 14 months then quit because I was pregnant again
    my third I had to wean myself because I was pregnant and my milk dried up and she didn't care but I was done. She was 22 months. I cut her down gradually over about 3 weeks but she was nooooot happy about it.
    Last edited by jenelen; 05-25-2014 at 11:34 AM.

[/url]

Expert Forum User

DS1 weaned at 18 months. He was very active and refused to sit still to drink, but would have continued if I had detachable breasts, lol.

DS2 is 3 (bday was 2 months ago), and he seems to have no interest in weaning. He would nurse every minute we are in the house, if I would let him. Sometimes he asks for milk in a cup, or water, or juice, but he picks bf when he wants to watch tv or cuddle.

I went back to school/work full-time at 11 months with each of them.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I can't remember exactly. Wow! It's hard to believe how stuff that was once so important gets forgotten. DS1 was early, around 4-5 months. I didn't have a clue what I was doing and it was a terrible experience for both of us. DS2 was around 18 months and DS3 was right around 2 years. My first I switched to formula, my second never had a drop, and my third never even had a bottle of breast milk, went straight to a cup. I wouldn't worry about ages though, ime you will know when your done and that's the right age to go with.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Expert Forum User

DS1 was 22 months. I tandem nursed for about 3 weeks after DD was born but DS1 decided he was done/we were too busy with a newborn.
    DD was 26 months but it was the same situation. I tandem nursed for about a month but she was done/busy with the newborn.
    DS2 is 35 months and still nursing. I didn't have another pregnancy/tendem nursing so he's still going. I'm not sure how much longer we will go, he is showing no signs of wanting to stop and I have never weaned without replacing so this is new to me.

Expert Forum User

DS#1 didn't really BF - I EBF him for 3 months then we switched to formula.
    DS#2 was BF until he was a year, likely he would have gone on longer but I was pregnant and tired and ready for him to wean.
    DS#3 self-weaned around 10 months along with a head cold - I think the head cold clogged up his nostrils and just made it too difficult to feed.

Expert Forum User

DD 22 months, DS 29 months.

Expert Forum User

This whole self weaning concept is totally foreign to me. My mom weaned me at 3. I weaned my oldest at about 15 months, and the younger one at 26 months.

Still nursing 3.5 year old DD and 14 month old DS.

Check out these articles:

Beyond Toddlerhood - The Natural Child Project
    A Time to Wean - The Natural Child Project
    Nemo likes this.

Breast feeding was a struggle for me, I never seemed to produce enough milk. I gave up with DD2 at 6 months and with DD3 around the same time. I wish I could have gone longer though.

Expert Forum User

My children have no concept of the term "self-weaning".

DS - 4 yo (mostly it was just at night and for comfort when needed)
    DD #1 - with much guilt and begrudgingly at 15-16 mo because I was pg again and had already lost one baby. Because of my GB surgery, it was felt that it was just too much for my body to nourish a baby, a pregnancy and itself.
    DD #2 - 21 months old this week and still going strong........ I'm quite surprised by how much I feel "done" with BFing but at the same time I don't want to stop because when she's done, it's gone forever which may send me into grieving.

I've LOVED BFing my babies. BFing was SO important to me and I've been extremely blessed to not have any difficulties with any of them.

Expert Forum User

If I suggest my daughter take a drink from her cup instead she will literally try to rip my shirt off, and scream. I don't see her weaning any time soon, and shes already a terrible two lol
    babybears123 likes this.

Expert Forum User

My oldest was 5 months. I was on domperidon and blessed thistle (I think those are what they were called) from 2 months on as my supply was very limited, and then one night it dried up completely even with DS nursing every two hours. He wanted nothing to do with it dry and I pumped every two hours and got nothing for an entire week so I gave up.
    DS2 and DS3 both self weaned at 9 and 10 months.
    DS4 self weaned at 19 months. When he was 16 months DH and I went away for 8 days and I had sort of thought that he would wean then (he was only nursing 3-4 times a day at that point) so I only pumped once while I was gone to relieve pressure but within an hour of returning home he was asking for it so I continued.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast