Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gogomom
  • 1 Post By sittingpretty

Thread: Rob Ford is stepping down....

Thumbs up Rob Ford is stepping down....

didn't think the day would come. He is hoping to get re-elected in October lol

imo he is finished. Done!
    BBC News - Toronto Mayor Rob Ford 'to get help for substance abuse'

Expert Forum User

My understanding is that he's taking a 'leave of absence' from both his duties and the campaign but not formally leaving either. Knowing him, he will end up coming back in all of his glory
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

I think is just going to rehab to try and save his re election and thats it. I bet he doesn't really want to go. I am so sick of hearing about him. I really hope Toronto doesn't re elect this idiot.
    Proud mom to ds born Sept. 2009 and dd born May 2012

Expert Forum User

I cannot say if he's going to rehab in order to save his career, or because he really knows he has a problem and is seeking help.
    I will say that I can give him the benifit of my doubt and wait and see what he does with his help.

Lots of people who make bad choices while under the influence of thier addiction, get help, and turn their lives around.... he knows this has been coming ever since he addmitted to doing crack while in a "drunken stupor"... family and friends around him must have told him at the time, that MOST people don't get drunk and do crack by accident.
    Carol likes this.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I feel sorry him as I do most addicts and alcholics.

The only difference between him and I is the fact he is a public official with a home I was living on the streets doing the same thing down to the crack when drunk and arguing with folks over how fast i got served at times. I feel for the guy becasue people make fun of his situation instead of seeing it for the sickness it is.

Is it right he was stripped of his mayoral powers heck yes active drunks don't need to be in a position of power but also making of fun of him every chance folks get wont help him either btdt.

Even if he only goes to treatment as a way of getting out of the spotlight for a few months than its better than no treatment at all simply becasue you will learn something even if you dont plan to.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    I feel for the guy becasue people make fun of his situation instead of seeing it for the sickness it is.
    The thing is though - no matter how many times it's said, no matter how many doctors, therapists, nurses and physiatrists say it - a LOT of people see addiction as a choice, not a sickness.
    While I am mostly understanding to this opinion (because I even thought I was sad and sorry and weak, not sick before rehab), I have to remind people (my brother) that NO ONE wants to be an addict, no one chooses to ruin their life like that, and it's really hard (if not impossible) for the active addict to recognize that they are sick.
    Especially as PART of the sickness is your brain convincing you that you’re fine.

I truly wish he done this sooner (rehab or whatever form of help) that is. It would save him so much embarrassment. He made such a spectacle of himself. He probably will need more than just few months to get his life back on track.

I am not 100% sure but I don't think he is seeking help because he decided it was time. I've heard on the news that he got busted again using drugs caught on camera by a drug dealer ?

Expert Forum User

I think a lot of ppl are saying "finally!" today. It's sad that it has taken this long (and more videos, etc.) to make this finally happen. I work in Toronto and I know that everyone that I work with are so annoyed that the city is associated with him, let alone have him as mayor. Also, I don't think it's fair to make the blanket statement of "hopefully Torontonians don't re-elect this guy" as there is still a following of ppl that support him even though many obviously do not. It's like being annoyed with London City Council but still seeing the same ppl elected, obviously there's a number of ppl doing it. I have no idea what will happen with the election in the fall but I hope that Ford Nation is overshadowed and someone reputable is elected.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by elvira View Post

I am not 100% sure but I don't think he is seeking help because he decided it was time. I've heard on the news that he got busted again using drugs caught on camera by a drug dealer ?
    he is an addict of course he is gonna get caught using more than once same its very very unlikely that the first time he was caught that it was first the he used crack. the crack dealers figured out they can get money for these videos so of course they will film him.

as for wether he is going for the right reason or not thats not for us or anyone else to judge

Expert Forum User

As someone who has been in rehab - Rob Ford will not be getting away with just glossing over his crap and sliding through without the work, even if his purpose for going is to further his political career, which the doctors, nurses, therapists, councilors, etc don't care about - at all... plus, recovery is lifelong, takes a TON of work and addicts know it (or find out pretty darn quick) - just because I no longer am physically addicted to anything, doesn't mean that I am no longer sick.

As far as "finally", it doesn't matter when he decided to do this, as long as he did. In fact, those who are pushed into recovery before they are 100% completely ready to do so are the ones who often fail. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that he admits he has a problem and is going to get help already puts him leaps ahead of my alcoholic neighbor who sucks back a bottle or two of wine every evening, and thinks she has no problem at all.

I don't get to vote in Toronto, but I will say that I would vote for Rob Ford. That guy (despite his shortcomings) has done more for the City taxpayers (outside downtown) than any other mayor before him. He has stood up to downtown business, police and firefighters, and the elite in Toronto. He has also (because of his shortcomings) put Toronto on the international map as something other than a big city in Canada. I'm not saying that it's "good" publicity, but you know what they say about publicity.

Expert Forum User

ok that's ok he can later sell a book about his story and people will probably buy it.