Expert Forum User

Default Opinions about video games?

I have not a big fan. DS is bugging lately about getting video games. We don't have any machine or cell phone with games. He sometimes plays on his older cousins i-phone games and the wii at relatives. He mentions Skylander, I guess he played that with the neighbour kids. I think it is way too expensive for a 6 yr old and how long will this last? I worry that they are too violent, and also too addictive. He watches some tv shows and plays games on the computer. Do you think I'm being unreasonable about saying no, even for his bday present? He was in the tears the other night about this. DH is thinking maybe we should get an age approriate one. I am clueless about this. Any tips, hints? TIA.
    DS June 2007
    DD April 2010

"No influence is so powerful as that of the mother."- Sarah Josepha Hale

Expert Forum User

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

You could use it to your advantage. Maybe it would motivate him to do his chores if he knows that's the reward, to play his video games for x amount of time. I think at that age it's also reasonable to not let them have video games. Whatever feels right.

Video games are one of the few things my son has in common with his peers. I think they're fine as long as you put some limitations on them, and explain why to your kid.
    What kind is he wanting? Nintendo DS is the portable handheld kind -- the Nintendo 2DS is designed for smaller kids, but won't 'last' as long as the 3DS. The 3DS is a big investment but I dunno, like my son has had his dslite since age five and is ten and it is still fine. He has the 3ds and my six yr old girl shares a 3ds with me, and I just turn the 3d feature off on both. The games are cheap, tons of variety, fun.
    You can get skylanders for it, too.
    For kids I'd go with Wii over xbox, unless he's into minecraft, which is only on xbox and pc and tablet possibly. Wii has more kid friendly options imo, though xbox is coming out with more, I find them harder to find.
    Wii is also pretty cheap now, too.
    And some of the games get you up and moving, like bowling and baseball and tennis that mean you have to stand up and use motion to do them. There's the classics like Mario, new stuff like skylanders too.

As for skylanders itself, maybe see if ebagmes has it used? or kijiji even. Or buy new -- the kids really do seem to enjoy it. My son hasn't had much interest in it, but he's a fluke. The neighbour boy has been in love with it since it came out. My six year old loves it. I know at least six other kids who still play it.
    Just make sure you get it for whatever system you buy, as while the characters can be used with any system, the base unit has to be designed for your system. So say you buy wii, get Skylanders wii. IF later he has a Nintendo ds or xbox, the characters can be used on that -- just not the base hth.

If it's cost holding you back, check ebgames, or see if The Beat Goes On sells them, something like that. If it's video games and their stigma, remember, you're still the parent. You can make the rules and limits.
    It's just entertainment. better than tv, at times. Great in moderation
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

We do video games here. My 6 year old likes to play the sims freestyle on my tablet on her own (I started the town, she took it over). In regards to systems, we own both a PS4 and a Wii U (along with older systems that don't get used much like the old Wii). We also have multiple tablets as well, generally loaded with more educational games then purely entertainment games.

As a family we play a lot of Super Mario 3D (Wii U), and Just Dance 2014 (PS4) together. DH and DD1 also played knack together on the PS4 (which I was comfortable with after watching a few minutes of the game). I will say I did slack on the Just Dance in Jan - Mar, lost my crown as family champion to DH. There's a few songs out there that DD1 blows me out of the water.

We have a 3DS as well, but playing as a family seems to have more appeal, so it hasn't been used much.

Expert Forum User

We are a gaming household... PS3, Xbox, Super Nintendo, Gamecube, Nintendo64, Gameboy, more than 2 computers, DS has 3 tablets... If you're worried about violence, get something like mario kart or a learning game.. DS plays ninja turtles on one of his tablets and all you do is match things.. Super easy and "sooo coool!" because its ninja turtles.

We have video games that our children are only allowed on the weekend. It got to where they were doing everything that was required of them just to play games. They were rushing through things, asking constantly, etc. It got to be too much. So now they know only on the weekend. During the wk they play more now with legos, star wars fighting, running outside, etc. On the weekend they wake up and run downstairs to play. We also have more plans on the weekend with other people and do more as a family outdoors so there is a lot of time on the weekend when they are happily busy. I think it can be a negative thing but it can also be a positive thing.

Expert Forum User

We grew up in a house where we didn't have any gaming systems (we also only had 1 tv so my parents didn't want it tied up with video games). Anyway, I think that has something to do with how little we care about gaming in our house. We have had a Wii for years and only occasionally use it although DD1 has been asking to play it a bit more now. We find her age appropriate computer games and she's fine with that. I'm sure boys are different though so I'm not sure how I would go about it if my son were asking, but yes I agree that the educational games or tablets and setting time limits around use would be good practices.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

I like that video games are generally more engaging than just watching TV. My DS LOVES playing Mario. He'll play together with my husband and they'll high 5 when they pass a level together, etc. It's also fairly entertaining to see my DD ask him for help passing a level, as he's completely surpassed her abilities.

I think like everything, the key is moderation. We struggle sometimes with the moderation, but I don't see it as any different from struggling with moderation on any other front (too much junk food, too much TV, etc)

Expert Forum User

We do video games (well the kids do).... we have 2 xbox360's, an xbox1, wii, ps3, and all the kids have DSi's and ipods. Also in our house we have a couple of tablets, 2 laptops and 2 desk top computers. I gave away the ps2 and several dozen games before Christmas... that said, my kids play the computers (Minecraft) way more than the others combined. I don't limit video games, but they have to complete thier chores and homework etc before they play. My oldest DS#1 and DS#2 both have thier own laptops that they saved and paid for themselves... I found that alone a fantastic learning tool on it's own.
    The younger 2 had leapfrog handheld games when they were little, and they were awesome for car rides etc, plus I found leapfrog has only learning games... so no rot your brain shooting the enemy type stuff.

Skylanders is pretty tame IMO, cartoon violence, no blood. I wouldn't have any issues with the game (but I also allow my 11 yo to play stuff he shouldn't - the ony game I've put my foot down on is GTA5, I let him play COD etc).

Skylanders is nice because when a character 'dies' they don't get gorey, I think they like turn into a bunch of little bubbles or balls? And they also reappear later, I think.

For playing together wii gets used most here because we don't have xbox Kinect, so wii is the motion games for us: we play the sports ones, or games room ones, and since most of those hurt my shoulder ad I can't do them much, I'm more likely to offer to play mariokart with them.
    Xbox here is mostly for Disney infinity and minecraft. DH has one or two games on it that the kids aren't allowed.

I don't let them play violence, beyond the sort on Mario (you do shoot stuff on Mario sometimes, or stomp on it, or so on).
    I'm ok with some sorts of violence like say, hand to hand combat would be fine by me, or sword fights, just not like KILLING violence. So I think some of his LEGO games (which are really good btw) have some fighting, as they're based on movies and such (batman, pirates, etc) but it's not as bad to me because a)they're lego, not people and b)it's usually like
    swords (not guns) and you don't stab so much as knock them to pieces, as they're lego.

DS has friends who play Halo, and stuff like world of warcraft or something, even GTA he says...but he's not allowed and since he never gets invited places it's never come up that he isn't allowed to there, either.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

I got my son a wii at age 6, and it worked well for that age and lots of games for younger kids. At 10, he prefers his friends Xbox. He got the RCA tablet from Walmart for only $67 (plus buy a case to keep it in), and it uses our home internet to download FREE apps This was a cheap alternative to an Ipod/Ipad.

Expert Forum User

We have a wii and a DS.... both were for my BIG KID, aka DH, but DH wanted a shiny new special edition DS for his birthday last year (don't ask me why I'll never understand) so he gave his old one to our little guy. Our boy loves playing mario with us on the wii and it's a nice family bonding activity. He likes playing pokemon too on the DS. He gets to play for one hour in the evening (or he can watch tv with his sisters) and on the weekends he can play it in the evening for an hour plus during all of naptime which is usually about an hour and a half.
    this is one of those things where there is no right answer though. Unless you're buying him grand theft auto, then I judge you but it is totally up to you whether or not you want to or can afford to get the kiddo a video game system.

[/url]

Expert Forum User

DH has a playstation 3. Last year for Christmas DS1 got a Toy Story game for it which he is allowed to play every Sunday afternoon for about an hour. This year for Christmas we got him Disney Infinity (which is basically skylanders with Disney characters I think?) We chose Disney because I thought the kids would like knowing the characters and from watching a couple youtube videos Disney Infinity looked less violent than Skylanders. I like that we have set aside a special time for video games so he doesn't ask us a million times if he can play and it limits his game time. We also have a wii but don't actually have any games for it, it is only used for netflix. I would look at kijiji (this is where we got our wii and playstation) and eb games for cheaper options. DS also has a leap pad but goes through stages where he wants to play a lot or not at all. That he can play whenever for the most part as the games are more educational.