Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dexter6
  • 2 Post By rachel0722
  • 1 Post By Ingalls

Thread: TVDSB likely to close two East London Schools

Expert Forum User

Default TVDSB likely to close two East London Schools

Two East London Schools Closer to Closure | (CFPL AM) AM 980

Well, these 2 schools are not notorious for high test scores or good scores on the Fraser Report, to put it mildly. But I'm not sure how I feel about closing small neighbourhood schools and funneling all the kids into a great big mega school. I guess with declining enrollment there really isn't much choice but to close schools, but it still seems a shame.

[/url]

Expert Forum User

Yep, more schools in lower economic neighbourhoods targeted for closure only to bus more kids further away at a school that requires millions of dollars to upgrade and expand. Makes so much sense DD1's school has been on the chopping block for the second ARC in a row now. It has taken over two years for this process to unfold now (this time around) and the *hopefully* finally decision will be made at the next TVDSB board meeting. There is literally one empty classroom in this school but TVDSB does not count the adult ESL students in the capacity as it receives different funding. The scores are not important to me in the least. I sit on the School Council and know how vibrant the school is, especially the music program which has been expanding. Sorry, off on a tangent. Anyway, it's really sad to see. I love the fact that my child and so many of her classmates can walk to school (about 95%), there is literally only 1 bus full of students to pick up/drop off. These decisions hurt the students but all they care about is their bottom line. Apparently they need to build more schools in the outskirts of town b/c of new subdivisions, but what happens when those families grow up, kids move out, etc. There will always be changes in demographics. DH and I have discussed it and we will 100% be switching to the Catholic school board if TVDSB closes DD1's school. We just don't agree with the logic.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Actually, all three of these schools are quite close to each other and either on or right off of Hamilton Rd. I pass all of them on my drive to my school! Trafalgar has a lot of extra classroom space and although it's very old, it has an interesting history to it. This move seems like the closest possible thing to an ideal solution with the most minimal amount of issues. Many families would still be in the same neighbourhood and still walking to school.
    Sunrise likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter6 View Post
    Actually, all three of these schools are quite close to each other and either on or right off of Hamilton Rd. I pass all of them on my drive to my school! Trafalgar has a lot of extra classroom space and although it's very old, it has an interesting history to it. This move seems like the closest possible thing to an ideal solution with the most minimal amount of issues. Many families would still be in the same neighbourhood and still walking to school.
    I tend to agree with this as well. They are all quite close with Trafalgar being in the middle. Why not put all 3 into 1 and have more resources to help the kids?
    Sunrise and simpsongirl like this.

Expert Forum User

Trafalgar used to be a military hospital my grandpa was treated there a few times.

it has more land and a newer gym. It is also the cheaper and easier to renovate then the other schools.

I know it is hard on everyone when it comes down to talking about closing schools.

One good thing is yes they are all really close to one another
    Scentsy Rep. on Facebook Perfectly-Scented Scentsy my website www.perfectly-scented.scentsy.ca

Fundraising to get our daughter a service dog. please feel free to visit her fundraising page https://www.facebook.com/groups/415637608516807/

SPARKLE TATTOO!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Danas...41850885905215

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I'm not familiar with the area or proximity to each other but I know where I live I'd be so mad if I had bought here and they closed the school. It depends how it's all set up. Like here, most people can walk to school without going near a road. It's great. I'd hate to have to switch to buses and I'd be mad if I bought somewhere and it got changed around. But that's a generalization as I don't know any of these schools in particular. I do find it is sad that they're making more big schools. I like that my school's teachers know everyone by name. I don't even like my kid's school much, but that aspect, I do like.
    SpringChicks likes this.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc