Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gogomom

Thread: Energy efficient replacement window ideas

Default Energy efficient replacement window ideas

We need to replace windows, which was anticipated when we moved in here a few months ago. We want something with good energy efficient ratings, but don't necessarily want the highest aka.....most expensive ones out there.
    Can someone help me to interpret the advertising material, to understand what is most crucial....low e, argon etc?
    There are lots of companies out there I know, but any that you feel had a great price for a great window.
    The basement ones were done last year, but we will likely replace them also. We could feel a lot of draughts this winter around them. I am sure they were just super cheap, to make it look ok for selling.

Expert Forum User

We bought our windows from a place on Osler road in East London (near Industrial Road & Dundas). We paid about 30% the retail value and they were very good quality windows. We paid someone to install them.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

30% of retail sounds good
    What is the company?
    What was the energy rating et ?

Expert Forum User

The name of the company is "Bargain Builder Supply" or something like that. I just called them and asked if they had windows in the size I wanted, they said yes or no, and I went to check them out. This is their address off google:
    3066 Osler, London, ON N5V 1V3
    (519) 451-5633

Was there no energy star rating?

Expert Forum User

There was - but the store sells "extras" from builders, so each window could have a different rating, style, etc. You have to go see them.

Oh, I gotcha. Now.

Expert Forum User

You have to decide what is most important to you - if you go high quality argon is the standard, but IMO, doesn't add much R-value to the window (like less than 1/4R), so if the option is there for air and it's cheaper - I would go with that. Low-e is a coating on the window that reduces the light that comes through, kind of like tint on a car. It helps reduce UV rays (so your furniture won't get bleached by the sun) and reduce cooling costs in the summer. We had a low-e tint put onto our front picture window because the film we used is also "bash proof" so we won't have another issue with hockey pucks I find it quite cool in the front room in the winter now... I'm sure that it will help in the summer, but I can't confirm - we had it installed in October.

You need to look at what you really need window wise - I prefer double hung, so that I can wash them all from the inside. But I didn't care about low e or if it was argon or air in my sealed units.

Your basement windows - is the air leaking around or through the windows? If it's around, remove the trim from the inside and use "gap filler" insulation (comes in a can) to fill any gaps around the window (use more than you need and cut off excess with a knife when dry). If it's through the window, check the weatherstripping, you may only have to clean it, but if you need to replace it, homedepot sells kits for a lot less than new windows. Unless they stuck a single pane of glass in the basement window frames there is no reason year-old windows should be leaking - even if they were the cheapest windows ever....
    Sunrise and mommy26 like this.

You can use carpets, floors, and tiles for this purpose.

The most effective way for energy efficient window is using blinds in the home.

There are many ways to replace your window to make energy efficient . One way is to use flooring, Curtains, Blinds, Shades, etc.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QOLU2J4R8s&t=86s

Window treatment is a good method for doing home improvements

There are many techniques exist for doing the energy efficient replacement. But the main things that can be used is wooden blinds. they also save the energy of the house.

If a person decides to change or replace the old window of his house, then the only purpose of this step is the amelioration of energy coming into the home. Resultantly, your home becomes more comfortable, and a huge amount of finance is cut down that is consumed on the electricity bills.
    The same role can be played by the custom outdoor rugs but you don’t need them in the presence of energy-efficient windows. At the time of the replacement of the existing windows, you must keep some successfully tested ideas in your mind. Let us see what these ideas are.
    Use Energy Efficient Glasses

Glass is cardinal for every window. If you select the correct form of glass for your window, then the climate of your room will also be affected. Your room will enjoy coldness in the summer and enjoy warmness in the winter. Dual-pane or triple-pane glass of the window has the capabilities to ameliorate the insulating features of your room.
    Window Installation

Window installation is the second best energy-efficient replacement idea. You must take the assistance of a professional in the installation of windows at your home or another locality.
    Through this step, clean and filtered air will flow into your house. Similarly, windows are broken down due to the water like rain but properly installed windows have the capability to defeat the catastrophe of this water.Correct Placement of Window

The energy efficiency of the window can be triggered through the correct placement of windows. For this purpose, a low-emissivity glass coating can be used in multiple spots of your home. These are the layers that operate as insulating armor.Locality

The locality also has a worth in shooting up the energy efficiency of the windows. Choose the window that can save you from the severity of the weather.
    Window Frame Making

The energy efficiency of your window depends upon the material that is used in its frame making. Wood windows are known as the best insulators. These frames don’t allow more influx of heat in your room. The same role is played by the fiberglass windows and vinyl window frames.
    Usage of Energy-Efficiency Labels

Always select the windows whose energy efficiency is up to the mark. There are many windows that are available in the market but if you see the label of Energy Star and NFRC, select these without feeling dither.

If you don't have the money to replace all of your windows, add blinds and shutters. The best value-adding window treatments are wood blinds, shades, and functional plantation shutters. These two window treatments can boost the value of your home and give buyers a better vision of what living in the property will be like.