Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: mat leave and self employment

Default mat leave and self employment

Ladies..please fill me in here..confused. I I have actually moved from london to toronto..quit my job where i had been for 6 yrs. I am now helping my husband with his business ( i drive him to his job sites and help on the job site as well as do administrative/secretarial work for him ) I have just started this about a month ago. We are not pregnant yet but he has asked me to look into mat leave and how it works...and it is different for ppl who are self employed. He does not pay me a wage...and i am not contract i dont think...so does anyone know how i would get paid? i was paying into ei for the 6 yrs where i worked...does that count? so confused!!!!

Expert Forum User

A quick google search found this:
    Employment Insurance Special Benefits for Self-Employed People - Service Canada

It looks like you've got some hoops to jump through and some waiting to do before you will potentially qualify for mat leave benefits.

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

Expert Forum User

Also, mat leave EI is based on your income for the 50 weeks leading up to the birth of your child, so your 6 years of employment won't likely count.

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

I don't think you can get EI if you work for a family business. I know my SIL was never able to get it and she worked for her family business.

I worked for my parents and got EI when I was on mat leave. I did have some extra paperwork and questions to answer but other then that I have no problems. I did however get a regular paycheck and was on payroll. If you are not getting paid for helping your husband and paying EI. You won't get mat pay. The last six years means nothing to them.
    Proud mom to ds born Sept. 2009 and dd born May 2012

Expert Forum User

I work for my DH and do not qualify for EI, since I get paid through the company. Sucks. If I wanted EI i'd have to work the 400 or something hours at a different job and quit afterwards, which wouldnt be fair
    Last edited by Nemo; 03-31-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_ View Post
    I work for my DH and do not qualify for EI, since I get paid through the company. Sucks. If I wanted EI i'd have to work the 400 or something hours at a different job and quit afterwards, which wouldnt be fair
    Yes my SIL had the same issues. She is on payroll through the business but because her family owns it she couldn't get EI. I am not sure of all the details though. Her husband ended up taking paternity leave with all of them since she wasn't being paid to be off.

I am surprised that some of you couldn't get EI because you worked for family. I got it three times working for my dad. Twice for pregnancy and once for sick leave. They knew I worked for my dad and EI never threatened to not let me have it. I guess I was lucky.
    Proud mom to ds born Sept. 2009 and dd born May 2012

Expert Forum User

I think because you work for your parents and aren't an owner in the business. I think spouses are different. I never qualified for EI.

Expert Forum User

Maybe.
    I was lucky this time because we werent considered common law yet and i just squeezed by. Next baby will
    not be as lucky. I dont qualify anymore now that we're common law.

Expert Forum User

The laws changed regarding this in the last couple of years.
    I am self-employed and I signed an EI exemption so that I don't pay - thus I would not be able to collect EI, using my buisness as my income. My husband works for me (full time, on payroll, etc), and we spoke to EI about whether he would be able to collect or not - they told me (and I know I read it on thier website) that as long as he pays his EI, and he actually "works" the hours required (and they WILL check - call other companies we deal with, etc, to confirm that I am not just income sharing with him) then he would be entitled to benifits.

Here's the link for self-employed people who want to collect EI
    Employment Insurance Special Benefits for Self-Employed People - Service Canada

Here's the link for working for someone related to you
    Employment Insurance - If you Work for an Employer Who is Related to You - Service Canada
    BabyLove likes this.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Layla'sMom View Post
    I don't think you can get EI if you work for a family business. I know my SIL was never able to get it and she worked for her family business.
    The laws have changed - see my links in my PP.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyLove View Post
    I think because you work for your parents and aren't an owner in the business. I think spouses are different. I never qualified for EI.
    You would now - see links in my PP.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_ View Post
    Maybe.
    I was lucky this time because we werent considered common law yet and i just squeezed by. Next baby will
    not be as lucky. I dont qualify anymore now that we're common law.
    I think your fine to collect - see link in my PP.

My dh has said that he will pay me an hourly wage, either every 2 weeks or once a month. This in turn will make me an employee. What i am wondering is about applying for the ei maternity benefits... i understand you apply for them once you finish working closer to when you are due...but how do i know ahead of time if i qualify? because once you apply isnt that saying that you are due soon bc you only apply for it closer to your due date? i guess what i am getting at is do i haveto go the whole 9 months not knowing if i will get paid the benefits? is there a pre application that you do first to see if you qualify and then you actaully submit an application to start receiving the benefits once you are closer to your due date? we are just trying to figure this all out before we start trying again...especially since i am no longer employed with a company that i would have qualified for sure with the benefits...please help...confused! their website has so much info its overwhelming!

Expert Forum User

Maternity benifits start when you leave work - you need to have a ROE in order for benifits to start, but you can apply as soon as you actually leave work (or up to 8 weeks before your due date), then submit the ROE when you get it.
    There is a two week waiting period, that you will not get paid for.
    You would be entitled to 55% of your pay, up to a maximum amout (I don't know what that is right now).
    You would need the following - 600 hours of insurable employment in the 12 months leading up to your maternity leave.

This information is all found on this page -
    Employment Insurance Maternity and Parental Benefits - Service Canada
    You could also call 1-800-206-7218 for specific information.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    My dh has said that he will pay me an hourly wage, either every 2 weeks or once a month. This in turn will make me an employee. What i am wondering is about applying for the ei maternity benefits... i understand you apply for them once you finish working closer to when you are due...but how do i know ahead of time if i qualify? because once you apply isnt that saying that you are due soon bc you only apply for it closer to your due date? i guess what i am getting at is do i haveto go the whole 9 months not knowing if i will get paid the benefits? is there a pre application that you do first to see if you qualify and then you actaully submit an application to start receiving the benefits once you are closer to your due date? we are just trying to figure this all out before we start trying again...especially since i am no longer employed with a company that i would have qualified for sure with the benefits...please help...confused! their website has so much info its overwhelming!
    You need to be careful with this. It has to be setup properly, you will either be an employee or self employed. Either way, you will have to pay EI premiums. If your DH sets you up as an employee there are other payroll expenses he will need to pay, including CPP. You need to work it out financially if it makes sense to pay the premiums or just not get EI for mat leave. If your DH is currently self employed and he does not have any other employees, it could be very costly to set you up as an employee. You might be better off just saving for mat leave.

There is a process to determine if you will qualify or not, look at gogos links, they reference CRA making the decision and how to get a decision before you start the process. My guess is, it won't be worth it for you.
    Last edited by Pomegranate; 04-01-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast