Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Having a really rough go.

Expert Forum User

I had this issue with both my kids. It was so excruciating - I really do feel for you. Just reading your description made my stomach turn remembering how I wanted to be sick everytime it was time to feed. Baby 1 I lasted 6 weeks and baby 2 I nursed and supplemented x 3 months. It was consuming me and I ended up giving up so DD could start on special hypoallergenic formula for other issues...but man, I was relieved not to have that pain anymore. Hugs to you!

Expert Forum User

Gained .5oz in 5 days. Feel like a failure. Going to top up with formula, started blessed thistle and fenugeek plus adding in 2x15min of double pumping

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

If it makes you feel better my mom never understood people having huge nursing issues as she never had them - till baby 11! He kept losing weight and it was a nightmare. They did persevere though in the end. Hang in there your doing awesome to keep trooping it out!!

I'd almost suggest just try to relax and see how 24 hours goes without doing anything above and beyond. Of course keeping track of wet diapers and trying to nurse long enough to make sure baby is getting hind milk. I think it's so shitty when it gets to the point mom is all upset and I think it can get to a point that it's counterproductive. (speaking from when I had my third).

A friend was just talking about how she nursed every three hours and how important it was to do a nice long feed. I'm more of a nurse on demand but she thinks her kids got more when they spaced the feeds because they would drink a lot. That might be bad advice, I'm not sure but I know it's as stressful as anything to have people all over you trying to get baby to gain. With good intentions and I know it's important but it's STRESSFUL! baby three had issues with her latch. I appreciate all the help I got but I wish that time could have been more low key. Maybe a nursing tea might not just help but be comforting for you.

My baby one was the excruciating pain baby and baby three was the one who was not putting on enough weight. Her latch issues were not painful.
    Last edited by my2babies; 03-31-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Expert Forum User

Please, please, PLEASE do not feel like a failure.
    I stopped bfing when M was 1 week old and S was 3 months old. I felt horrible, but I was in excruciating pain and wasn't producing enough milk. When people would ask if I was still breastfeeding, I would outright lie and say yes - a little, because I felt so guilty for stopping and felt like a total failure that yet again, I wasn't able to live up to the 'Mama Standards' I set out in my head. I slipped back into my depression shortly after I stopped bfing. So I think I know where you're coming from.

Formula is really not all that bad. If, in the end, you do decide to switch, I am certain your decision will be met with support from those around you. *hugs*
    Last edited by IsisBaily; 03-31-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Yes. Don't feel like a failure. No matter how this ends. I do want to point out that most formula is made with GMO's the oil and then the animal part of it also. I'm not sure if your concerned about GMO's but if you are, I just wanted to mention that because not everyone is aware.

With baby #3 adding the fenugreek and the BT was our turn around point. I didn't have to be on it for long either.

Also Soy is a huge GMO crop. So unless the soy was organic it would likely be GMO.

Also do you have enough support? I'm not up to much on wed. I'd be willing to come over if you need someone to tidy up and start supper. Let me know. ( I homeschool my kids but they are well behaved and they'd be quiet).
    Last edited by my2babies; 03-31-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Expert Forum User

Thanks for the offer, I'm doing better today. My mom is working every day this week or I'd get her to come by. My MIL lives with us, but... I'm just not feeling like having her around right now (does that sound bad?). The 3 year old is independent as long as I feed her at regular intervals .

Anyway - I have no idea what is going on. I don't really think it is my supply though, baby nursed (both breasts) around 11:30 -- I topped her up with 1.75oz of formula (she spit out the nipple after that)... And then pumped immediately and got nearly 4oz.

DH is still going to pick up some fenugeek and blessed thistle as per midwife request.
    planejane likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    Thanks for the offer, I'm doing better today. My mom is working every day this week or I'd get her to come by. My MIL lives with us, but... I'm just not feeling like having her around right now (does that sound bad?). The 3 year old is independent as long as I feed her at regular intervals .

Anyway - I have no idea what is going on. I don't really think it is my supply though, baby nursed (both breasts) around 11:30 -- I topped her up with 1.75oz of formula (she spit out the nipple after that)... And then pumped immediately and got nearly 4oz.

DH is still going to pick up some fenugeek and blessed thistle as per midwife request.
    I went through the same thing with baby three. It's so frustrating because I knew if we had just been left to be then it would have worked out but instead it was all chaotic and me waking up to pump. She was having wet diapers but not gaining right. Then I feel like the FG and BF made me have too much milk. I don't think I had a supply issue either. I understand the concern but in a way I think all the hoopla made things worse because it got sooo stressful! Having to keep going back, the looming threat of formula. Again I get why but it's not a fun way to start out. I def. feel for you.

Expert Forum User

Been thinking about you and hoping that things are getting better! Have you happened to notice that baby sticks her tongue to the roof of her mouth and has trouble getting a good latch even when she was first born? There's some evidence that suggests babies that do this have a tendency to have more allergies......

Not sure how much research you can do into that but my BFF after having 6 wonderful BF babies ran into that with her 7th. Said it was the hardest thing she's ever been through and that if he had been her first, she would not have continued with BFing.

Hugs and I hope this week is going much better!

Expert Forum User

Here's an update as of my MW appointment today.

Weight is up with supplementation. She is back to birthweight at 3w2d. Currently 8lbs 6.5oz, that's 5oz since Monday.

However, it doesn't appear to be a supply issue... When I pump after a feed I often pump at least what I supplement, sometimes double (eg, 1.5oz supplementation, 4oz pumped). She's getting about 50% of her supplementation as BM, 50% is formula. I likely could do 100% of it was pumped BM, but I'm starting to feel exhausted, I'm just going to be at peace with a small amount of formula at the moment. She's getting 8-10oz of supplementation a day. 4-6oz is formula. I think I should be able to up my supply by that much fairly easily if need be.

She appears to have a IV type tongue tie. I've been referred to a pediatrician in Cambridge. My one nipple is more damaged then it was a week ago, so I've been suggested to use a nipple shield on that side until we can get her clipped. I also have a prescription for apno.

Trying to figure out what size nipple shield to get. My injured side is my "producer" normally,

Expert Forum User

I read your update and cringed, ouch. You are doing a great job.

Expert Forum User

Your stick-to-it-ness is amazing! Get that APNO ASAP! Love that stuff! It's a miracle in a bottle, I swear.

What's an IV type tongue tie? I don't think I've heard of that before. Do you think you'll have to wait long to get in??? Hopefully not! Thanks for the update!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by doda94 View Post
    Your stick-to-it-ness is amazing! Get that APNO ASAP! Love that stuff! It's a miracle in a bottle, I swear.

What's an IV type tongue tie? I don't think I've heard of that before. Do you think you'll have to wait long to get in??? Hopefully not! Thanks for the update!
    Type 4? It's like not noticeable to see, in the muscle under itself the tongue and far back. She can't lift her tongue up all the way, she can't get it out past her lips... explains the weight issue, my pain... and why she's gaining well while supplemented.

http://nursingrubysue.files.wordpres...lowsttpics.png

Expert Forum User

Have an appointment with a pediatrician in Cambridge tomorrow at 11:30am. He's clipped some posterior tongue ties for the MW group before so I'm curious what he says about DD3. I have noticed my nipples are seriously different sizes (left bigger) which makes me wonder if that has anything to do with why the left hurts more then the right.

Nipples are starting to physically heal (wounds are no longer open, just minor scabbing now) thanks to APNO. Not sure on the weight situation. I've been slacking a bit on the supplementing so hopefully she's still gaining.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast