Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Having a really rough go.

Expert Forum User

Default Having a really rough go.

Breastfeeding this kid is one of the most painful (emotionally and physically) things I have done.

It is not going well. I have vasospasums apparently (originally I thought it was ducal yeast), and cry nearly every time she nurses. My breasts and nipples hurt right now and she hasn't nursed for 3 hours.

I dread nursing her. I've resorted to pumping and feeding a few times in the past few days. This really sucks. I feel so done.

I've had her latch checked, it is fine. No ties. The LC were the ones that felt it was vasospasums. My nipples did have some damage but it is healing.

In all honesty if I did start to use formula I wouldn't know where to start. I've never used it, don't know even the basics. I just feel like a failure for even considering.

Expert Forum User

Oh, I had some issues with nursing DD1. She had a teeny tiny mouth, and an incredibly crappy latch (came home at 5lbs 3oz), and this is worse, much worse.

Nurse kid one until 20mo, and kid two until 22mo.

I think you have to do what you need to do and not feel guilty. I'm sure you have looked it up already but what came to mind was warm cloths on the breasts. It may help according to this

Treatment options for vasospasm

Avoid cold. Apply dry heat to the breast when needed (this relaxes the “cramping” blood vessels). Some mothers benefit from keeping the entire body warm (warm clothing, warm room, wrap up in a blanket, etc.)
    Cover the nipple as soon as possible after baby comes off the breast. Some moms say that it is helpful use a wool breast pad or a soft cloth diaper.
    Apply dry heat immediately after breastfeeding. A rice sock can be useful as a source of dry heat: Fill a sock or a cloth bag with uncooked rice and microwave 45 seconds (or until desired warmth is achieved); hold the rice sock against the nipple (over the cloth or mom’s shirt) until blood flow resumes.
    Massage the nipple with olive oil when mom is feeling pain from the vasospasm.
    Avoid caffeine, nicotine/smoking, diet pills, cold medications containing pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine, beta blockers, and other vasoconstrictive drugs, as they can precipitate symptoms. Oral contraceptives containing estrogen have also been associated with vasospasm.
    Medications and dietary supplements may also be helpful:
    Ibuprofen.
    Dietary supplementation with calcium/magnesium.
    Dietary supplementation with a vitamin B complex that includes B6 and niacin.
    Dietary supplementation with fish oil supplements.
    Low dose oral nifedipine.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by nananana View Post
    I think you have to do what you need to do and not feel guilty. I'm sure you have looked it up already but what came to mind was warm cloths on the breasts. It may help according to this

Treatment options for vasospasm

Avoid cold. Apply dry heat to the breast when needed (this relaxes the “cramping” blood vessels). Some mothers benefit from keeping the entire body warm (warm clothing, warm room, wrap up in a blanket, etc.)
    Cover the nipple as soon as possible after baby comes off the breast. Some moms say that it is helpful use a wool breast pad or a soft cloth diaper.
    Apply dry heat immediately after breastfeeding. A rice sock can be useful as a source of dry heat: Fill a sock or a cloth bag with uncooked rice and microwave 45 seconds (or until desired warmth is achieved); hold the rice sock against the nipple (over the cloth or mom’s shirt) until blood flow resumes.
    Massage the nipple with olive oil when mom is feeling pain from the vasospasm.
    Avoid caffeine, nicotine/smoking, diet pills, cold medications containing pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine, beta blockers, and other vasoconstrictive drugs, as they can precipitate symptoms. Oral contraceptives containing estrogen have also been associated with vasospasm.
    Medications and dietary supplements may also be helpful:
    Ibuprofen.
    Dietary supplementation with calcium/magnesium.
    Dietary supplementation with a vitamin B complex that includes B6 and niacin.
    Dietary supplementation with fish oil supplements.
    Low dose oral nifedipine.
    Yeah, the MW group printed off the Jack Newman protocol. I'm taking all the vitamins (since Friday), applying a heating pad on low while nursing, when finished nursing. I'm also taking ibuprofen.

Expert Forum User

I am sending hugs mama, I have had the worst time with DS I had a hard time with DD#3 but nothing like this. I read a little about vapospasms, and it seems a little like what I had, I had the nipple blanching with both kids, and still do. I have a hard time nursing DS when he is teething because his latch changes and then I do the same as you I do not want to feed him,, I dread it. It is a little better now since he is taking supplement bottles of neocate since he can't have any solid foods so if it is really bad for me I add in that bottle and it gives me a bit of time to get brave again. I had the same problem I wanted to wean but then I didn't wan to wean I felt guilty. Right now we are at a good spot and going great but we just came off really bad spell. If DS didnt have so many problems with foods I would have weaned a long time ago but since my milk is the one thing that is ok for him so far I can't wean.

Expert Forum User

Mercy, I've never heard of this but it sounds absolutely awful! Hugs to you, honey and know that the one person who's going to the hardest on you is yourself. I'll be thinking about you!!

Expert Forum User

Let me know if you need some donated milk. We've got lots and my stubborn little ham doesnt drink from anything but the source...
    my2babies likes this.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Please don't feel like a failure!

I tried breastfeeding my last and tried everything - and finally several weeks into it dh sat me down and told me he was worried I was wasting her babyhood stressing, pumping, crying and not enjoying her, how I'd said I was going to do. He was totally right. I took a bottle to her room, sat in the quiet with her, and cuddled up and felt at peace. Didn't look back.

Formula is not the devil.
    Your child will not be stupid or ill or any of the other bs people tell you. Mine rarely get sick and were formula babies. mine are all bright. Mine developed fine. It isn't the end.

If you are in thismuch pain, and want to do formula and need any support, feel free to pm or fb me. I've fed three on formula.
    Fwiw I do not recommend the fancy ones with all the added stuff. dha and rha and all that -- seems to upset their tummies, and makes their spitup stain worse.

Hugs.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

I had that, like daggers in the boobs and nipples. I used to air dry the nipples with my first and was fine, well with dd2 I had to cover myself before they felt a whisper of wind. Like picture opening a shower curtain A tiny little bit just do grab the towel and cover my boobs ASAP. It was bad. But it did go away. absolutely no cold to the boobies. It does get better. I forget what else I did.

Expert Forum User

Well, we'll just tack on another issue now too. This LO hasn't gained weight in the past week. She has until Monday to gain 4oz or they want her to see a paediatrician.

Expert Forum User

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time I have no real advice, just sending hugs.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Expert Forum User

Do you think the vasospasms are affecting your let-down? I'm sure they would affect mine. I honestly don't have a clue what to tell you..... have you tried talking to a LC? Hugs, I can't imagine dealing with all this on top of the normal baby-blue hormones.......

Expert Forum User

That's pretty well what I am guessing. Her output dropped a bit earlier this week when the vasospasums were the worst, but has increased since.
    planejane likes this.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I don't know if I had that but my nipples got so cracked and it was miserable because my DD had a bad latch and it felt like I was being stabbed with knives and shards of glass. IT took a while to get better but it did. I can't even imagine your frustration especially after bf two kids already and not dealt with anything like this. I would latch her on and wince and my body would jerk from the pain. We did eventually persevere. I think had I not had my mom insisting we would overcome it and knowing how healthy the breast milk was we may have not made it though that. *hugs* I know it's horrible.
    Last edited by my2babies; 03-28-2014 at 11:58 PM.

Expert Forum User

I had a look at my 2nd child's calendar (she was the exact same weight at birth as this baby). She had a period early on where she only gained 2oz in a week, thought it wasn't this close to week 3. She stagnated slightly below birthweight as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast