Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Measles scare in London!

Expert Forum User

Default Measles scare in London!

Middlesex-London Health Unit Issues Advisory Over Measles Scare | (CFPL AM) AM 980

The health unit is telling anyone who was at the listed locations to watch for symptoms of measles. If you were vaccinated it isn't to much concern, but other articles on measles cases/outbreaks in Canada (Ottawa and Alberta) mention it is extremely contagious and if you are not immunized or not immune (5% of population doesn't develop immunity to vaccines) and those people have a 90% chance of catching it if exposed.
    Very scary.

thanks for the info!

makes me wonder how on earth this individual got measles?... maybe on a vacation and brought it back?

Because a lot more parents are choosing to not vaccinate (for whatever there personal reasons), diseases like the measles are becoming more prevalent. I hope no one got exposed. The article said you can have it for 7-21 days before having symptoms. A lot of people could get sick from this.
    Proud mom to ds born Sept. 2009 and dd born May 2012

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by elvira View Post
    thanks for the info!

makes me wonder how on earth this individual got measles?... maybe on a vacation and brought it back?
    Ottawa has had an outbreak, maybe the person has been there?

Scary. The walk in and shoppers on that list are just up the street, and we go to the shoppers all the time.

Need a car seat tech:
    www.londoncarseatsafety.com

Expert Forum User

Its so not fair. Ive been to the majority of those places. Not at those times, but still. My daughter is too young for the vaccine, if she catches it i'll go on a punching rampage. This is too far in my opinion. Its illegal to not vaccinate your dog, but your kid, who cares!
    LaLa, Teresa, IsisBaily and 3 others like this.

This is why I get so mad at people who don't vaccinate their children. Not only are they risking severe complications with their children, infants they may also have and elderly relatives, they also endanger the general population. People who have a compromised immune system (people who are on cancer treatment, Juvenile arthritis treatment, the elderly, pregnant women and babies too young for the vaccines are at great risk. My ds had three+ years of compromised immune system when he had leukemia. He had had chicken pox ( this was before the vaccine was available) but ended up exposed to chicken pox twice while on treatment and had to have a needle in the top of each thigh each time to give him some protection.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by nananana View Post
    This is why I get so mad at people who don't vaccinate their children. Not only are they risking severe complications with their children, infants they may also have and elderly relatives, they also endanger the general population. People who have a compromised immune system (people who are on cancer treatment, Juvenile arthritis treatment, the elderly, pregnant women and babies too young for the vaccines are at great risk. My ds had three+ years of compromised immune system when he had leukemia. He had had chicken pox ( this was before the vaccine was available) but ended up exposed to chicken pox twice while on treatment and had to have a needle in the top of each thigh each time to give him some protection.
    Very well said. My son (who has juvenile arthritis, and is on immune suppresent drugs) was in London all week at his nanas. Now I'm freaked out!! Luckily he was never at any of those places, but the other people that were exposed to it, could one potentially be spreading it all over town!

I understand parents being upset by non vaccinating parents but I wanted to point out that non vaccinating parents don't vaccinate because they don't care. They don't vaccinate because most have researched and didn't vaccinate because they DO care. Parents will never agree on this issue but one thing we can agree on is that parents do what they feel is safest for their children. I see it from both sides.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by luckymama View Post
    I understand parents being upset by non vaccinating parents but I wanted to point out that non vaccinating parents don't vaccinate because they don't care. They don't vaccinate because most have researched and didn't vaccinate because they DO care. Parents will never agree on this issue but one thing we can agree on is that parents do what they feel is safest for their children. I see it from both sides.
    Well said.

I have on vaccinated child and one non-vaccinated child. I don't care for one more than the other.
    Chantelle and doda94 like this.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

I dont think any of will argue than non vaxers love their children any less. Its just that vaccinating my child isnt going to make YOUR child sick.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_ View Post
    I dont think any of will argue than non vaxers love their children any less. Its just that vaccinating my child isnt going to make YOUR child sick.
    No. It won't. But vaccinating my child might make MY child sick.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

Maybe. If your child is not of good health.

Expert Forum User

Expert Forum User

That is pretty scary, DS was in one of those places around the time frame, at 8 months he hasn't had the vax and we delayed he 6month ones due to health concerns.

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast