Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: do you have faith in Health Canada / public health in general?

Default do you have faith in Health Canada / public health in general?

i used to. would be about the first in line for any of the vaccine recommendations and trust without question any health care advice provided.

not so much anymore since I've been researching about fluoride (added to drinking water) and the increase in thyroid disease (fluoride suppresses thyroid function in multiple ways). fluoridation is strongly supported by Health Canada and other government funded groups.

what's your main source of health advice, if not Health Canada?

Expert Forum User

Yes I trust them. I'm also not so sure the whole fluoride debate is really all that bad. Two sides to every story
    Teresa, Sunrise and LaLa like this.

Expert Forum User

Fluoride: Killing Us Softly | Global Research

Fluoride is a nasty chemical and should not be in our water. I refuse fluoride treatments at school and the dentist for my family.

Now as for Health Canada. When money and power stops controlling the well being of people, then it would be wonderful. Won't ever be the case.

I think a lot of people mean well and a lot of people are led by money. There will be mixtures of both in every big industry. I research everything that we do.

what also concerns re: fluoride. how do we know that we're getting 'the good stuff' and not some cheap stuff from china (for example)? with all the corner cutting, corruption and scandals, even in CANCER DRUGS :S.
    elvira likes this.

speaking of the bottom line

Forced Fluoridation of Community Water Supplies: An Open Letter

just wondering, fluoride toothpaste for kids start at what age?

Expert Forum User

You can start to use fluoride toothpaste when your child is able to spit when brushing. Mine is almost 3 and only spits occasionally.

I am curious who is making all this money that is mentioned above? There are many people who research things and then advise the government about them. Are pp trying to say that some fluoride provider is paying money to the government to get their fluoride put in water? Wouldn't that COST them money? I find the government tries to get OUT of paying money rather than pay things. Water without fluoride would be cheaper, wouldn't it (or does it do something else that makes water cheaper)? Therefore I would think the government

Expert Forum User

The fluoride in toothpaste is different than fluoride in water. I hope it gets taken out of our water because I have read some terrible things that it does. I don't really trust health Canada, I do my own research and prefer holistic ways of treating things.

I am curious who is making all this money that is mentioned above? There are many people who research things and then advise the government about them. Are pp trying to say that some fluoride provider is paying money to the government to get their fluoride put in water?
    fluoride is a by product of the phosphate fertilizer industry. it is illegal for them to dump the fluoride into a body of water or the air (very toxic), and it is very expensive to dispose of/neutralize. so it makes sense a lot of business sense to sell it as a 'medicine' to add to drinking water.

how this is legal: i dunno. there's no other 'medicine' that's just dumped into the water and patients dose contingent on how much water they consumed.
    Mum09and11 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by melissawilliam View Post
    You can start to use fluoride toothpaste when your child is able to spit when brushing. Mine is almost 3 and only spits occasionally.

I am curious who is making all this money that is mentioned above? There are many people who research things and then advise the government about them. Are pp trying to say that some fluoride provider is paying money to the government to get their fluoride put in water? Wouldn't that COST them money? I find the government tries to get OUT of paying money rather than pay things. Water without fluoride would be cheaper, wouldn't it (or does it do something else that makes water cheaper)? Therefore I would think the government
    this may clarify a bit
    So who buys it?

"The public water utilities buy this stuff and put it in our drinking water. It's absolutely absurd," says Connett.
    Dr. William Hirzy from the EPA has pointed out that if it goes into the air, it's a pollutant. If it goes into the local water, it's pollution. But if the public water utilities buy it and pour it in our drinking water, it's no longer a pollutant. All of a sudden, like magic, it's a beneficial public health measure.

"So not only are we doing something quite unique, using the public water supply to deliver medicine ... we're using the public water supply to get rid of hazardous waste from the phosphate industry," Connett says. "It makes a lot of money for them [this way, because otherwise it would cost] a lot of money to get rid of it as hazardous waste."

Making matters worse, if that's even possible, is that in recent times the U.S. has started purchasing these industrial fluoride products from China, as phosphate-producing industry in Florida has been reduced. However, some communities in the U.S. have stopped using China-made fluoride because it was producing a white sludge that jammed up the delivery system.

"The Center for Disease Control engineer said, 'We don't know what this sludge is but we know it's safe,'" Connett says. "But if you don't know what it is, how can you say it's safe?"
    mommy26 likes this.

Expert Forum User

All I know is my dentist coated my sore tooth in fluoride and it feels a hell of a lot better.
    I've also drank tap water my whole life and no worse for wear. The bottled water industry is just as shady if you ask me.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I have faith in them to the extent I have faith in anything....I don't take anything fully without question from anyone, beyond the people I trust and love most. Which is a very small circle of people, for sure. I think some things logically make sense, like vaccines. I don't think it's right of me to risk infecting others, who could easily die from these diseases, just because I think well, WE all got chicken pox and WE are fine. Sure, but I have friends with kids who have had transplants. I have two grandmas in their 70's. I know lots of pregnant women. I do not want to risk them all, just because.
    But at the same time, I wouldn't do stuff without reading up on it.

And if it's something I don't think sounds logical, I look more deeply into it.
    I trust health Canada is made up of people, and so there will be biases, there will sometimes be mistakes, there will be different opinions.
    I don't hold the Canada Food Guide up as being the be all and end all of truthiness. But I do think it's a handy tool to explain to kids different groups of foods, different benefits etc.

I also often look at who stands to gain financially, do I trust this is with my best interest in mind or is it possible it's more of a money grab? And then decide if it's a worthwhile one or not.
    LaLa and dexter6 like this.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

to my knowledge and the little that I know tooth decay has nothing to do whether or not you're using fluoride toothpaste or drinking tap water and yet they say fluoride is needed to prevent tooth decay. Well last time I talked to my dentist I recalled him saying "tooth decay is caused by acidity in the mouth" almost everything we consume is acidic not to mention sweet treats and brushing teeth twice a day may not be enough.

Honestly I don't really have a problem with fluoride toothpaste because at least I have a choice in that matter. I can by anti-fluoride toothpaste if Iwant to. With water we don't get that choice. It's chosen for us which is unfair imo

Expert Forum User

Ok, so the above has shown me 1/2 of what I was wondering. I realized that the people who produce fluoride would be making money and I would expect that anyone who produces anything will try to sell it (look at all those infomercials on tv). Based on what I am reading above, if accurate, we are to believe a company went to the government and said "our product is dangerous and we can't put it anywhere, hey why don't you buy it for your water?" The government would say " NO WAY, we don't care if it is healthy for everyone, we don't like to spend money."
    Instead, the government realized they had a surplus in the budget and they would use it to purchase fluoride and poison everyone therefore they could then use up more of that huge surplus on health care for the people who get sick!!! That is ridiculous and I can't believe that.

The government doesn't WANT to spend money, therefore they have lots of people who research and if they can prove something isn't needed then they can get out of paying for it.
    The above stories make sense when ONLY looking at the big bad company trying to sell their bad product, BUT it makes no sense on why the government would buy it - unless like I asked above - if that company is actually PAYING the government to use it and therefore it makes the government MORE money than the increase in the above mentioned health costs that they pay for.

Not sure if Canada also purchases fluoride from China as above pp said the US does, but that makes even less sense, unless it is also coming from companies that are PAYING Canada and the US to use it.

If Health Canada was a big bad entity, it would already have gotten rid of it at the first sign of anyone not wanting it, because they wouldn't want to spend the money!!!
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 03-07-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Expert Forum User

I 100% believe the truth will come out about fluoride. I will continue to back my distain for it in our water!!
    luckymama likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast