Default art easel with chalkboard and wooden train sets

So what is everyone's experience been like with art easels for kids? Do they actually like using them?
    and also what about wooden railway sets is this something worth looking at?

we have the train table with wood tracks and both are kids love it. we have had hours of fun together. more then worth the cost.
    Proud mom to ds born Sept. 2009 and dd born May 2012

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I've got a tabletop easel for a chalkboard, and they use it off and on. I never wanted a large easel for painting: I like paint contained, and find if a child is seated or standing by a table, they're less likely to wander with the supplies than if they're standing with an easel. This is based on observing my kids with easels in oeyc's and the like. Yeah, they love them! But they're messy and well, I rent.
    We paint plenty....at the table, or sometimes on a tablecloth on the floor.

Wooden traintracks: awesome!
    I started ds out with a noname kit, built on to it over the years, don't think we have any actual Thomas track but a few Thomas add ons possibly. And lots of the trains.
    I prefer the wooden to plastic, and I like that it's something we sometimes don't touch for months( keep in mind ds is ten now and dd six) but then play with daily for a few weeks.
    It is something I will likely hang onto for grandkids one day.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I've got a tabletop easel for a chalkboard, and they use it off and on. I never wanted a large easel for painting: I like paint contained, and find if a child is seated or standing by a table, they're less likely to wander with the supplies than if they're standing with an easel. This is based on observing my kids with easels in oeyc's and the like. Yeah, they love them! But they're messy and well, I rent.
    We paint plenty....at the table, or sometimes on a tablecloth on the floor.

Wooden traintracks: awesome!
    I started ds out with a noname kit, built on to it over the years, don't think we have any actual Thomas track but a few Thomas add ons possibly. And lots of the trains.
    I prefer the wooden to plastic, and I like that it's something we sometimes don't touch for months( keep in mind ds is ten now and dd six) but then play with daily for a few weeks.
    It is something I will likely hang onto for grandkids one day.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

We have the ikea easel and chalkboard. You can buy a giant roll of paper to go with it and I attached baskets underneath to hold crayons. No painting at the easel for us either! Kids love it. They use the chalkboard side way more than the colouring side

i won a Melissa and Doug train table just before Christmas and it gets used every.single.day. I didn't want to buy one since they can be pretty pricey but now that we have it, I love it too! And I can't see it being outgrown anytime soon since I figure once they are done with trains it can be used for building Lego on or something

You can see on my blog how I added the baskets
    May Days

Expert Forum User

I also have the IKEA art easel... they like using the chalkboard side so that's the one I have facing out but once in awhile I let them paint too I just put a garbage bag underneath it but they love it!

I also have the wooden train set from IKEA... they both like to play with that too. For Christmas I got them more of the track so it is longer than just the main track. We also have the plastic track with the motorized trains which my son loves but I hate replacing the batteries all the time!!

My girls liked the art easel when they were young (under 4yo) but haven't had interest in it since and DS can't access it. No interest in using a table top easel thing the way it's meant to be used, they just flatten it on the table.

We we got a train table for DD2's 2nd birthday. DD1 was 4yo. Neither had much interest in it at all. It ended up in the basement bc it took up so much space. They'd play with it when we were down there bc it was novel, no interest in having it in their playroom. DS discovered it when he was 3 and he's obsessed, to put it mildly. It's all he does, all day long. Train table or tracks on the floor, just all trains all the time. He's 4yo now. The girls (5 and 7) will sometimes build him a cool track or play with something new, but mostly could do without it still.

We have both and the girls liked them when they were younger. But they took up so much space I didn't have them out very often and now sit dusty in our unfinished basement. My girls have out grown the train table for the past few years.

I found wooden railway set by Mellisa&Doug at a reasonable price 130 pieces all together for just under $100 on sale.
    My dd keeps having these meltdowns whenever she comes around a wooden train set and doesn't want to leave the store. It's actually the first time she is really exited about a toy so I'm hoping it's not short lived. Oh I wish I knew what to do.
    Last edited by elvira; 02-11-2014 at 10:15 AM.