Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ZooMama

Thread: Olympic figure skating

Expert Forum User

Default Olympic figure skating

The programs in the team competition have been fabulous. Do you like or dislike this new team sport? I thought it sounded weird and wasn't sure about it but I am really enjoying it.

The performances are spectacular, I particularly like the women's. The young Russian is a joy to watch! I missed the Canadian free skate this morning Which are your favourite performances?
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

Expert Forum User

I think it's weird. Not really a fan. It's basically a dress rehearsal and a chance for some teams to get even more hardware. They have it weighted so that the ones with the best in the individual events will be the ones to win the team event. it's all the same programs. So everything you've seen in the team event, will be repeated again for the individuals. So strange. Why not just use the individual competition results to rank the teams and give an overall medal like in gymnastics? The only plus is for some teams, if you have someone with a strong short but a weak long you can put in a substitution so someone with a stronger program can do the long, etc.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I really liked it! Isn't it just like gymnastics? I thought they re-competed for the team event. It is going to be weird if they just do the exact same routines for their individual events. So, unless they mess up/don't mess up, the events have already been decided then? Team should be at the end, isn't that how it's done in gymnastics?

Tessa and Scott were amazing, so were the Americans and Russians. I would hate to have to decide who was best. The young Russian girl was mesmerizing.

Expert Forum User

Oh maybe so for gymnastics...I could easily be wrong on that. It just seems silly to have them do the same programs over and over again. It does give them a chance to get the jitters out, but they could also psych themselves out. The girl in the US ice dance team looks like Princess Jasmine. She has an air of snobbiness about her though and I'm always hoping that they will fall so Scott and Tessa can run away with the gold.

The Russian girl - wow - 15!! She's amazing.
    AuntPetunia likes this.