Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Unbelievable...

Default Unbelievable...

A longer sentence? What do you think?

Hit-and-run driver gets max sentence | The London Free Press

Expert Forum User

hellz yeah i would be appealing.

Expert Forum User

It's a longer sentence then someone I know received when they killed a person as a result of their driving (while impaired).

Expert Forum User

My neighbour's ex was murdered (stabbing) here last year and the killer got 3 years. Yes, I think these sentences need to be a lot longer.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

It's horrible. Just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by /wasn't me/ View Post
    hellz yeah i would be appealing.
    But there is nothing to appeal, unfortunately. He was given the MAXIMUM for both of those crimes. Careless is an HTA offense with a max of 6 months. Fail to Remain must have been under the Crim. Code to get a 3 year sentence. Most times they would have run those sentence concurrently. Obviously, in this case, the judge wanted to slam him as much as he could so he ran them consecutively.

I agree that it doesn't seem to be enough though, for the amount this poor child has lost.
    rachel0722 and Sunrise like this.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

Realistically though -- the cost of keeping an inmate incarcerated per year is staggeringly high. I believe in 2012 is was $114,000 per year, per inmate - and $212,000 to keep a female inmate, per year.

Just food for thought...

What does out corrections system provide for these dollars? Are these inmates completing their sentences and coming out rehabilitated or in worse shape/more likely to re-offend?

he pled guilty so thats a huge bonus for me, he could have dragged it out knowing he will get at least 2 for 1 credit being held in custody and probably walked out as time served if he had wanted.
    Ingalls likes this.

Expert Forum User

It's hard, because there's nothing that will turn back time and put things right. No punishment would ever seem fair. Pleading guilty is at least admitting responsibility, and hopefully he can change his ways.
    Nemo and Ingalls like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePig View Post
    It's hard, because there's nothing that will turn back time and put things right. No punishment would ever seem fair. Pleading guilty is at least admitting responsibility, and hopefully he can change his ways.
    Although in the article, it doesn't sound as if the judge felt he was very remorseful which is why he imposed the stiffest sentence that he could. I wonder if perhaps he plead guilty to expedite trial and sentencing fearing a stiffer charge in the event that Tyler passed away.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

Can't appeal the max. sentence but I totally agree that the penalty doesn't fit the crime.

From the article that I read, it doesn't *sound* like Tyler will pass away any time soon but there's no question that this injury will shorten his life. One question that I had and I wondered if LC was still around reading, (haven't seen any posts from her for a while),the article that I read about him said that he will only be permitted to stay in the rehab hospital that he's in until about the 2 year mark of the accident. I'm hoping I misunderstood the article because I'd like to know what the insurance company, doctors, etc. expects his family to do at the end of those two years.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by doda94 View Post
    Can't appeal the max. sentence but I totally agree that the penalty doesn't fit the crime.

From the article that I read, it doesn't *sound* like Tyler will pass away any time soon but there's no question that this injury will shorten his life. One question that I had and I wondered if LC was still around reading, (haven't seen any posts from her for a while),the article that I read about him said that he will only be permitted to stay in the rehab hospital that he's in until about the 2 year mark of the accident. I'm hoping I misunderstood the article because I'd like to know what the insurance company, doctors, etc. expects his family to do at the end of those two years.
    I am still around, just haven't posted much lately Obviously, the family is very upset that there wasn't a longer term, but everyone understands that he did get the max sentence for the charges.
    He is in Toronto at the moment, at the current rehabilitation centre he has to progress through a rehab program, and that is around 2 years. Depending on his progress, and all long the way, he will be reassessed to determine if he needs to be moved to a different facility specializing in different areas.
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
    AuntPetunia and Carol like this.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

What about all the other charges initally filed that the above article lists? Did some get dropped cause of his plea?
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Sorry for the confusion ladies I hate my phone and was fighting with it last night must have accidentally closed - should be good now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast