Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By sittingpretty
  • 6 Post By momtastic
  • 1 Post By Ingalls
  • 1 Post By WateryTart

Thread: Mandatory Breastfeesing Until 2yo

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Mandatory Breastfeesing Until 2yo

Breastfeeding Is Now Required By Law In The United Arab Emirates

it is now law that women must breast feed until their child is two years old in United Arab Emirates. Does that seem insane?? I am ALL FOR breast feeding, but this just blows my mind. I can't imagine how it would work and see so many flaws. Some are stated in the article, like the obvious that some women can't or don't feel they can, but also what about tandem or getting pregnant again, going to work..??? It's a wonderful sentiment. It's just ridiculous.

I agree, I think breastfeeding is awesome, but it isn't right to force it and it isn't plausible to do so. it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. What happens if the woman can't do it? What happens if the child self weans?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Whiel breast is best alla that I 100% disgaree with forcing it upon women.

it said in the article

However, not all new moms are able to nurse. In those instances, if a woman is prohibited by health reasons, the council will provide a wet nurse to her.
    way to ruin a mother child bond by doing that
    lbg77 and planejane like this.

Makes me appreciate my freedom of choice in this great country.

Expert Forum User

Good grief... Breastfeeding is great and all, but this is just wrong... Nobody should be forced to breastfeed their child and especially not for 2 years if they weren't already planning to bf that long.

Expert Forum User

weird...
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

Expert Forum User

Eh, my second kiddo weaned before 2. We only made it to 22mo. Are they going to force it on kids that don't want it?

Expert Forum User

I'm planning on breastfeeding atleast that long but if I somehow quit before then...and my husband sued me...id kill him. Kidding. A bit.

And these wet nurses, are they going to be given frequent screening to make sure they aren't ingesting anything dangerous to the infant, or anything that bothers that particular baby's tummy, don't smoke, etc?
    AuntPetunia likes this.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Wow, DS is 7 months and EBF but I have been sick and my supply has totally dropped to the point we were supplementing yesterday with milk i had frozen but if his tummy wasn't so troublesome I might have just weaned him. It has been really hard to be sick and try to keep up nursing him. So if a mom dries up they will send in a wet nurse? I don't know how DS would feel about that.

Expert Forum User

The UAE is a bit law-happy right now. I'm Meh about it. Its not enforceable and there is local backlash against it. Just like they don't enforce car seat laws. The only thing scary about this IMO is the line in which it states that husbands can sue their wives for not doing it. Assuming this actually becomes law and not just a suggestion by the FNC (not a lawmaking authority, that's only the sheikh) then it would serve to act as a tool for men to keep women controlled. The rest can be subverted and rendered useless. How can government enforce this when most women cover head to toe and don't feed in public anyway? Useless.

One the bright side, but typically not mentioned by scandal happy media, UAE is set to get some better child rights laws and CAS type agency, which it really needs.
    Last edited by WateryTart; 02-02-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    Pomegranate likes this.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
    The UAE is a bit law-happy right now. I'm Meh about it. Its not enforceable and there is local backlash against it. Just like they don't enforce car seat laws. The only thing scary about this IMO is the line in which it states that husbands can sue their wives for not doing it. Assuming this actually becomes law and not just a suggestion by the FNC (not a lawmaking authority, that's only the sheikh) then it would serve to act as a tool for men to keep women controlled. The rest can be subverted and rendered useless. How can government enforce this when most women cover head to toe and don't feed in public anyway? Useless.

One the bright side, but typically not mentioned by scandal happy media, UAE is set to get some better child rights laws and CAS type agency, which it really needs.

I was hoping you would chime in on this one! Thank you

But if they forbid/limit/restrict somehow the sale of formula, that could cause big problems and it would be hard to not breastfeed at least over a year or some, if you could. That's where I'd see a big problem. And yes, the obvious controlling by the husbands is ridiculous.

Expert Forum User

They won't restrict the sale of formula, there has been no mention of that at all. Wet nurses would not be provided for expats, so formula would always have to be available.

We all come to the UAE willingly. If someone is here and is able to sponsor their wife and child and have the insurance to cover a birth, then they are making enough money to move home or elsewhere should the laws become too onerous. This same child's right law also contains a bit about enrolling a child into school - but I have no other details about that other than what the paper says. If they try and tell me to put my kids in a brick and mortar school, then it is our intention to just move... maybe to Saudi Arabia (where they don't care about educating girls anyway!) or Singapore.