Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By momtastic
  • 1 Post By southerngal
  • 1 Post By Nemo
  • 1 Post By KerryLee17
  • 1 Post By Mum09and11
  • 1 Post By doda94
  • 1 Post By SpringChicks

Thread: Ready to wean...how? Help please!

Default Ready to wean...how? Help please!

Hi ladies!
    I'm relatively new to this forum, I don't post a whole lot but I love reading everyone's posts and advice

My son is nearly 11 months old and I'm ready to start cutting back his feeds and wean him. This is especially due to the fact that he is still getting up approx every 3-4hrs to feed through the night. He nurses 4 times through the day (first thing in the morning, after morning nap, after afternoon nap and before bed). He eats a ton of table food through the day and has just started drinking homo milk from a sippy cup as well.

I would love to hear some suggestions on how to wean (not cold turkey) my little guy. My first 2 kids were bottle fed, so it was easier to gradually cut back how much was offered in the bottles until eventually there was nothing and they were both off bottles completely by 13 months. Obviously, I can't see how much I'm feeding him BFing, so I'm stuck on how to handle this.

Thanks in advance!

I am in no way an expert but just removing feedings one by one. I think your baby will let you know how quickly you can remove feedings by how well he reacts to each one. If he is eating healthy and drinking milk then you shouldn't be too concerned about the amount of breast milk you are removing.
    Louli likes this.

I weaned my ds over a one month period, each week I removed a feeding until I dried up. Did it slowly so that I wouldn't get mastitis. Each week I staryed with the feeding he cared about the least (afternoon) and went from there final feed to remove was the night feeding!
    Louli likes this.

Expert Forum User

Im worried about weaning. I think i'll just let her wean herself to be honest. She has tantrums now, I dont know if this house would stay whole if I took her boobs away!!
    Louli likes this.

Thanks ladies! I'm worried too, lol.

Expert Forum User

Don't be in a rush, just do what is right for your family. I bfed #1 for 2 yrs and #2 we are down to 3 or 4 times a day. You both will know what is right for your family. I will be sad when it is over but she is too busy when #1 is home from school. Hoping she takes time during this holiday season.
    Louli likes this.

Expert Forum User

I don't know if you are going to work or not but I kept going and cut out the lunch feed since I wasn't there... eventually I stopped another feed and they didn't even really notice or care and they were both pretty attached to me so just do what comes naturally.
    Louli likes this.

Expert Forum User

Is it mainly the night feedings that you're wanting to cut out? I'm relatively sure you don't co-sleep so I'm not a good advice giver but I'd try by shortening those night feeds first. If they are 20 mins now, slowly cut them to 15ish, then 10ish, etc..... I know you already know this but his body doesn't *need* the nourishment. It's just used to getting it so it wakes him up to say, "Hey, I'm hungry."

For me with the co-sleeping, on the nighttime feeds, I just gradually made the shorter and would turn them over to go back to sleep. SB *just* started sleeping through the night maybe 2 weeks ago and even now, it's not consistent.

Good luck! It's hard. Sometimes I feel like I'm just a big human pacifier.
    Louli likes this.

Expert Forum User

For us it was a long process, but basically started when I started back to work (she was 10.5 months). DD2 would still nurse in the morning, then as soon as I got her home from daycare, then before bed, and once in the night. When I really wanted her to started nursing (at about 17 months) I just fed her before bed and in the morning. Then after about a month of that I said no more and she was switched to normal milk. She wasn't too pleased about it, but it was a comfort/security thing more so than a need to eat and she has been sleeping through the night (except for a couple of teething issues) since. I have no real advice though b/c I wasn't even sure if it would work out at the time.
    Louli likes this.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*