Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Nemo
  • 1 Post By Ingalls
  • 2 Post By jenelen
  • 1 Post By Nemo

Thread: Fact or Fiction: Colick

Question Fact or Fiction: Colick

In your experience is it Fact or Fiction that Colicky babies turn out to be more intelligent/smarter/learn easier? If you've had a colicky child what were they like as a toddler? More high spirited/high energy/strong willed or not so much? Interested and curious!

Expert Forum User

No experience but if you read the Happiest Baby on the block, the authors write about how colick doesnt happen in countries where women carry and nurse their babies 24/7 and their theory is its a cultural thing. Maybe that will help?
    my 27 year old cousin had colick and hes a pretty normal guy now. Hes smart but probably more average than anything.

I had a colicky baby who is now a spirited toddler. She is so bright but feisty! I carried her and nursed all the time (although not 24/7) but it didn't stop the crying. There were strategies that helped but time made the biggest difference.

Expert Forum User

I wore my baby and breastfed till 18 months. I TRIED to wear him as 6 months, but he was too high spirited and hated the idea of being held prisoner in any way, lol, he had to be free and crawling/walking, but did prefer to be in carrier to stroller. He had colic till 9 months, crying got a lot better when he learned to walk.
    He is gifted in math (92nd percentile) and high average for language development (68th percentile), and is diagnosed with moderate-severe ADHD - so yes, he was a very high spirited toddler!

Problem is a lot of people say their baby has colic at 1-3 months, which isn't colic, but normal development.

ETA: My 2 year old did not have colic, but also does not have ADHD, and appears to have higher intelligence than my older son - he seems very gifted verbally (confirmed only by me and daycare)! But then again he may be average in math (can't tell with a 2 yo, lol) and they could even out.
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 12-18-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_ View Post
    No experience but if you read the Happiest Baby on the block, the authors write about how colick doesnt happen in countries where women carry and nurse their babies 24/7 and their theory is its a cultural thing. Maybe that will help?
    my 27 year old cousin had colick and hes a pretty normal guy now. Hes smart but probably more average than anything.
    I find that irritating. Both my girls had colic! BOTH. And I certainly am not a 'stick them in the crib and let them cry' type. I carried them, held them, and much as I hate the term because they're not accessories, I 'wore' them.
    My babies didn't get colic because I didn't touch or hold them enough. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR I am pretty sure that author and I would not be friends.

No, I don't think there's any relation between colic and anything else. Both of my girls had colic. DD is six and smart, yes, but not a genius or anything. BAbydd is probably the most clever 2 year old we've had yet, in some ways, but then she's the third, too, so has the advantage of siblings to learn from. Her sense ofh umour is developed way beyond her age, and her comprehension (following directions, long sentences, etC) but her speech, intelligence etc normal. Colours she sucks at.

I think colic is just colic and people should get over it.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

I dont think the imply that babies here have colick because they are neglected. We just do things much different on this side of the world. Its a good read though, if you'd like to borrow it.
    Michelleshere likes this.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

No thanks. Aside from colic, which is only a few weeks and isn't unhappiness, it's pain, my babies were all quite happy and easygoing. I think a lot of people overthink babycare and don't just follow their instincts enough.
    IsisBaily likes this.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

I'm thinking they probably just say they to encourage parents through it
    My aunt was a colicky baby and she thought cows gently grazing in a field were going to attack her... so... LOL

Expert Forum User

The thing with colic is it isn't just a few weeks. Normal crying is 2 hours a day peaking at 6 weeks and done by 3 months. Colic is 3 or more hours of crying a day, incessantly and continuously, for at least 3 weeks and up to 1 year! My first was 9 months

Expert Forum User

I'm with the others who are irritated about the implication that parenting causes colic or lack thereof. I baby wore and nursed all 3 of mine constantly and my middle one had colic anyways. I think it was that she was overheated and my overactive milk letdown was upsetting her stomach (I had overactive letdown with my son too, but he just cheerfully upchucked the excess all the time, to the great jubilance of the ants that liked to congregate in my laundry basket). Once my milk supply settled and we got an air conditioner (she's the one that made the AC happen ) she settled right down. But before that she screamed. all the time. the only thing that helped was bouncing on an exercise ball. so we did that for hours and hours. With my first baby I totally thought my excellent parenting was the reason he was so happy and calm. The second one sure schooled me I read the happiest baby on the block and never needed any of it for my firstborn. None of it worked for my second anyways. She was hot and there was too much milk and she was mad about it and swinging, shushing and soothers did not make her calm down!

anyways as a 3 year old she's sweet and probably pretty average in terms of tantrums and such, but definitely spicier than my other two kids. She is MUCH more sensitive than her siblings. She was the earliest talker and most verbal of the kids. She spoke in sentences at 2. But she's not like crazy advanced or anything.
    Last edited by jenelen; 12-18-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    Ingalls and LaLa like this.

[/url]

Expert Forum User

I also agree that parenting has nothing to do with colic. I parented my kids all the same and yet my first two didn't have colic but my last one did. Actually my 3rd is the one I wore and carried the most.

As far as the rest goes, he has pretty good verbal skills for a 2.5 year old, but nothing outstanding and he's no more spirited than my girls were at this age, so I don't think there is any truth to it.

Expert Forum User

Id just like to point out its just what the book said, I dont believe it nor disbelieve it! I also read it when she was passed that age anyways
    Ingalls likes this.

Expert Forum User

Maybe I had 1 colicy he had always been advanced. And a very fast learner. Eg he was speaking in sentences at 9 months old. My other son had reflux and not colic. He's still above average but needs to be taught several times in several different ways before he grasps new concepts.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Expert Forum User

My oldest was colicky - the other two not at all.
    The oldest is the most driven, the most amicable, the easiest going, the most studious and the biggest people pleaser among the three.
    That said, he's also the oldest and those are all common with an eldest child.