Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 2 Month Shots

Expert Forum User

Default 2 Month Shots

Today DD got her 2 month shots done.
    I was expecting the same shots my son had done but they have a new oral "shot" too now.
    My doctor described it as a preventative oral shot to prevent diarhea? I asked if it's necessary and she said that if babies get diarhea they can die. I thought that was a bit blunt so I said "oh is this happening often?" and she said "yes" and then proceeded to give my DD the oral dose.

I've never heard of this new "shot" but apparently it's now one of the mandatory ones across Ontario?
    DD did get the meds, but I'm wondering exactly what was given to her because my doctors explanation felt like it was basically "give this to your kid or she'll die from diarhea"

I don't even know the actual term for this new thing... Did anybody elses doctor give their child this?

Expert Forum User

Its not mandatory. Its for rotavirus, which, yes can cause serious vomitting/diarrhea, dehydration. Do I think its necessary - no, not in a place where you have access to good emergency care. Also it has some serious potential risks, including intussusception which I am assuming she counselled you on? If not, I'd be pissed. It is NOT mandatory, you ALWAYS have a choice with your kid.
    my2babies and SpringChicks like this.

Expert Forum User

I was angry when we took DS in for his first set of shots and he was given the rotovirus vax, I had asked specifically what he was getting and it wasn't mentioned. I wouldn't have given it to him if they had asked but it was to late. DD#3 had rotovirus and survived two of my daycare kids had it at the same time and they were okay as well.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Kendra View Post
    Its not mandatory. Its for rotavirus, which, yes can cause serious vomitting/diarrhea, dehydration. Do I think its necessary - no, not in a place where you have access to good emergency care. Also it has some serious potential risks, including intussusception which I am assuming she counselled you on? If not, I'd be pissed. It is NOT mandatory, you ALWAYS have a choice with your kid.
    She didn't tell me anything other than basically what I wrote above. Clicking your link now...

*sounds scary but according to wiki it's not too common.
    Last edited by IsisBaily; 12-12-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Expert Forum User

It is not mandatory. It should be your decision.
    Andrea - Mommy to two beautiful girls.

It isn't mandatory and we didn't get it for dd2. My doctor told me that their "might" be a link between the vaccine and autism because they both mess with the gut floor. He also told me that there is a percentage of children who die from the vaccine, close to the same amount who die from rotovirus. We took his word on it and didn't get it. I haven't looked into it because I trusted his advice.
    jennerama and Krista like this.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

There is no such thing as a mandatory shot. FYI.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

Thats what the oral shot thing is??

Expert Forum User

My doctor doesnt give it. I wrote a post about it before. I'm happy now she didnt get it, because I know a fee babies who had quite a lot of blood in their stool afterwards.
    (you'll also want to really wash your hands after she poops as it can contain the virus). my doctor doesnt like how new it is, how many vaccines they get all at once, so she doesnt recommend it for healthy babes that could fight the bug.
    Krista likes this.

Expert Forum User

U can decline any shot at any time, including rota.
    Krista likes this.

Expert Forum User

But it wasn't a shot, it was taken orally and then she still got 2 needles?

Expert Forum User

There are oral vaccines. Polio for example in most other countries is given orally.

I don't think its necessary in North America. IN countries where diarrhea kills, totally a great idea. Here, not so much. I try to give an unbiased assessment of the pros and cons to my patients. I'd say 9/10 chose not to give it.

The 2 needles, one is for penumococcal, the other is diptheria, tetanus, polio, pertussis and hemophilus influenza B. Standard for a long time...
    Tutumom likes this.

Expert Forum User

Yes its an oral vaccine, and all vaccines are technically optional.
    sittingpretty likes this.

Expert Forum User

I would be pretty upset if my doctor was so vague about what was going into my baby's body!! Sounds like they were trying to scare you into it.... I would think if your baby had that much diarrhea you would have taken them into the hospital where they would get proper fluids so not sure about the dying part.
    Krista and Tutumom like this.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mum09and11 View Post
    I would be pretty upset if my doctor was so vague about what was going into my baby's body!! Sounds like they were trying to scare you into it.... I would think if your baby had that much diarrhea you would have taken them into the hospital where they would get proper fluids so not sure about the dying part.
    Yea she asked how Scarlett's bm's were and I said specifically that she's fine, a little constipated now and then but otherwise fine.
    Now I'm a bit annoyed.
    My midwife had told me to go on progesterone only bc and my doc said alesse was fine and wouldn't change anything and wrote me a script for that. I don't know anything more about it than what I'm told by my doctor... so I trusted that... was she misinforming me there too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast