Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pomegranate

Thread: Seriously??

aren't they just a bit paranoid?

Expert Forum User

I read the CNN article, and the school has retracted the sexual harassment label, as they should have. After reading the CNN article, I do believe he needed some type of firm discipline. If that is suspension, then that is what it is. This is not a case of a child doing this once, it was multiple times. The CNN article keeps changing, at one point it stated the mom of the girl saying the girl didn't want him to kiss her and that the mom had to coach her daughter on how to stand up for herself because this boy kept trying to kiss her. I can't find that part now. He had been repeatedly asked to stop. If it was my daughter, I woud want the child to be disciplined as well. The child suspended has also had discipline issues with rough housing. The boy is quoted in the article to effect of "6 year olds have a lot of energy..."

IMO, there is way more to this story and the boy's mom wants her moment in the media, and to get back at the school for disciplining her son for his repeatedly bad behaviour. She gets to say whatever she wants and the school can't say much.
    Last edited by Pomegranate; 12-12-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    IsisBaily likes this.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Here;s the CNN article 6-year-old suspended for kissing girl, accused of sexual harassment - CNN.com

labeling it sexual harassment is over the top. He's a 6 yr old. yes there should have been a discussion about his behaviour and for him to understand what is wrong with the things he is doing. But to put something like that on his record seems a little too much.

eta: here's another article http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/12/us/six...html?hpt=us_c2
    Last edited by one ordinary girl; 12-12-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

One would hope there is more to the story, otherwise it's massively over the top.

Expert Forum User

Repeated unwanted touching is and should be a reason for suspension.
    Calling it sexual assult is insane when we are talking about a 6 year old.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

My question is besides suspending the boy how else did they handle it? Was he talked to about why it's not appropriate or just suspended?
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by one ordinary girl View Post
    My question is besides suspending the boy how else did they handle it? Was he talked to about why it's not appropriate or just suspended?
    One version of the CNN article did say he had been talked to about this, and was repeatedly asked to stop.
    It also states he has had multiple other discipline issues.

Expert Forum User

Calling it sexual harrassment is definitely over the top, but I tend to agree that the boy should be taught why this behaviour is inappropriate.

Personally, I cannot stand when parents push young kids to kiss or hug "because it's cute". If it's unwanted physical contact, it's not cute. Boys and girls alike need to be taught to respect personal space and to ask before hugging or kissing someone else, because you never know how it'll be taken by the recipient.

Expert Forum User

This is why romance is dead! Lmao.
    i havent read the article though...

Expert Forum User

Okay I read it.
    I think its ridiculous. The rough housing part is inappropriate but suspending a kid for a peck on the hand? Why couldnt the parents or teacher teach this little boy that its making her uncomfortable instead of making him afraid to kiss anyone else, ever. Kids hugs and kiss, and its damn sweet. Its when they punch and kick..