Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Nemo
  • 2 Post By LaLa
  • 4 Post By Mum09and11

Thread: 4.5 Month Old Sleep Tips

Default 4.5 Month Old Sleep Tips

Does anyone have any tips to help my 4.5 month old sleep longer at night? Right now she goes to bed at 7-7:30. We have a nighttime routine - bath, feed, story, song, and she usually falls asleep on her own after that. I dream feed her at 10:30 or 11 and then she wakes up crying around 2:30 or 3. I know that she can go 6+ hours without eating so I have been shushing her back to sleep or sometimes rocking her back to sleep at the 2:30-3 wake-up. I thought she would eventually get out of the habit of waking at that time since I don't feed her but she still wakes. It's been about 6 weeks of this! Lately she has also been waking up before the dream feed, after only an hour or two of sleep. I can tell she's tired so I don't think I'm putting her to bed too early. She is EBF so I don't know how much milk she is getting but I offer both boobs and I think she's emptying them both! We have a white noise machine going, her room is cool but not too cold, she's in a cotton or fleece sleep sack and cotton pajamas, we stopped swaddling a few weeks ago because she rolls around A LOT and sometimes sleeps on her tummy. Her room is completely dark, with black out curtains. I don't know what else to do. Any ideas? TIA

ETA: It's not just the 2:30-3 waking that I am trying to eliminate. That's just the most consistent one. She wakes up sporadically throughout the night for no apparent reason. Last night she woke up screaming at 12:30, 3:00, 4:00 and 7:00. I fed her at 4 and 7 and we got up for the day at 8.
    Last edited by sapphire; 12-11-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Expert Forum User

My 6 month old is up every 2-3 hours still occasionally 4 hrs so I have no advice, but when I was doing my own research on how to help him sleep longer I read that dream feeding was not a great idea as they can end up over full and that can cause problems. Since my son has some tummy issues this made sense for us. She could just be hungry, I am sure i could sush DS back to sleep but in my experience it takes longer to do this than to nurse him back to sleep. But DS has also very rarely ever gone more than 3 hours.

Expert Forum User

I was also going to suggest removing the dream feed. In my experience it's never helped any of my guys sleep longer in between feedings/waking.

The fact that you can get her back to sleep without nursing her is great so at this point I would just continue what you're doing. She's still very young and eventually she will learn to fall back to sleep on her own.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

I don't have any advice, my 4 month old goes to sleep at 630-7, wakes at 11 for a feed and goes right back to sleep and wakes at 3 for another feed then goes right back to sleep. At 6am he starts his fussy/restless time until 730 wake up. Since he is ebf I cosleep and the night waking don't bother me at all, I usually don't even fully wake up to give him boob. My 2 year old would wake every 2 hours until after his first birthday. Maybe she isn't developmentally ready to sleep all the way thru the night? Maybe she needs more night feeds? Breastmilk is digested in 1-3 hours, could she be hungry?

I really don't think she's waking because she's hungry. She has a very distinct "hungry cry" and I always feed on demand. I don't want to feed her when she's waking up and not actually hungry for fear that we'll get into a bad habit of feeding 100 times a night. Sure, she would go back to sleep right away if I fed her, but in the long run I'd be worse off, wouldn't I?

Expert Forum User

I don't know that you'd be worse off by feeding her when she wakes.
    I change and feed my 2 month old every time she wakes. Even if my breasts feel like floppy balloons because they're (what I consider) empty, I still offer the boob to her if she's awake and fussing.

Every baby is different, so what works for 1 will not always work for another.
    If a dream feed is what I think it is.... basically interrupting your babies sleep to feed? .... then I can see that being your problem. I would think that it's teaching her to eat when you're waking her and making that a routine and so putting her on that schedule? If that makes sense?

Does she take a soother? We found that sometimes our daughter doesn't actually want to eat but just wants to suck and cuddle, so we offer the soother and then cuddle her until she falls asleep before putting her in her cradle. I'd try that if you're comfortable with it. If she's in your room still too I might try putting her in her own bedroom. She may hear you at night and wake because maybe you've rolled, or hubby snored, or whatever the case...

Just my opinion. Both my kids pretty much slept through the night from birth (so far).

Expert Forum User

I cosleep. I feed her on demand and shes 8 months old.

Expert Forum User

I believe nursing the sleep is a good thing, not a bad habit.
    LaLa and planejane like this.

I agree, even comfort nursing is not a bad thing. I have the belief that babies need to learn trust and comfort so they associate nightime with happy thoughts. If you nurse, your daughter learns to fall asleep faster, eventually learns that she doesn't need to fully wake to get the needed comfort. Once she is developmentally ready to put herself back to sleep she will regardless of nursing or not. If it gets u more sleep now to nurse her back to sleep then why put yourself thru the misery of not doing it? Its just an off chance that she may sleep thru the night a bit sooner, but it's definitely not proven. I nursed on demand with my first and at 2 he falls asleep on his own, sleeps on his own thru the whole night and is in his own bed. He does that not because of what I did or didn't do, but because developmentally he is ready to do that
    Nemo and IsisBaily like this.

Expert Forum User

Babies wake because they don't know how to put themselves back to sleep after each cycle of sleep... we wake too but we just know how to fall back to sleep. My son woke up a lot for his first year of life... I co slept with both of my kids and nursed them both back to sleep anytime they would wake. Eventually they slept through without waking which is around the time they wanted to be in their own beds. When I had my first baby I stressed out so much about having him sleep, I thought him sleeping in his crib without me having to do anything would just magically happen. Once I realized it was not happening I gave up and I was much happier and had a much better sleep!
    Jodie, LaLa, IsisBaily and 1 others like this.