Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By simpsongirl
  • 1 Post By Findabhair
  • 1 Post By Nemo
  • 1 Post By OwensMom

Thread: Help with DS and his tummy

Expert Forum User

Default Help with DS and his tummy

I hope there aren't two of these posts since my last one didn't seem to work. Ds has always seemed to have some problems with his belly when we try giving him solids. He is almost 6m and EBF I gave him whole oats on Wed morning and since then his tummy has been bothering him, he can't seem to sleep for longer than 1/2hr without waking screaming trying to roll in a ball. I finally got him into my Dr this morning and she told me to give him activia yogurt for the probiotics and milk and keep pushing fluids. I am so confused he is 6m old and not supposed to have dairy. She wants to do an xray next week if it doesn't get better. She also told me to give him tylenol anytime he seems to be in pain, well that is every couple of hours. I also told her that he is already taking a daily probiotic and has been since birth. Any advice? Where do I go from here. How in the world can I help my baby.

Expert Forum User

Is he still having regular dirty diapers? Is the pain caused from constipation? If you think he may be constipated then I would say try giving him apples or pears or another fruit with lots of fiber. If it's not constipation then I would just take a break from the solids for a little while and see if that helps his tummy feel better and then try some other solids and stay away from the oats for a bit.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User

DD1 had issues with constipation when we started solids. We had to watch how much iron supplemented stuff we were giving her. I think I just read something about being able to start with fruits and veggies at 6 months instead of doing cereals (mind you, they change these "rules" every couple of months it seems). I would maybe try rice cereal if oats are the first one you tried. Not sure if it would make a huge difference but I would stop giving oat cereal for now. I'm glad they're wanting to follow-up with an x-ray though if they feel it's needed. I hope your DS starts feeling better soon!

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Expert Forum User

maybe his tummy isnt ready for solids, I didnt start mine until 9mons old.
    BabyLove and OwensMom like this.
    NO NOISE IS BETTER THEN HEARING A CHILD'S LAUGHTER

Expert Forum User

He def is not constipated, he may have been the one day when he had to cereal but after that he went back to his normal schedule. I am supposed to take in a stool sample as well, but on last diaper change there was blood mixed in so he is def irritated by something.

Expert Forum User

Oats are very high in fibre so they can be hard on the system, some people are sensitive to the protein in oats itself, the other thing is if there is any dairy in the oats, or if he has an issue with gluten because regular oats are often cross contaminated with large amounts of gluten. Wheat free (specifically labelled) oats are available. Oatmeal Baby Food Recipes and Oatmeal for Homemade Baby Food, Age for Introducing and Feeding Baby Oatmeal

Expert Forum User

I read they cant produce amelise (sp?) to digest grains until they get molars. DD has only had fruits and veggies and not much of it really. She'd rather paint and lick it off her fingers than take a spoon. She hates the spoon. I'm not concerned, breastmilk is better than anything else I think. Maybe hold off on solids until his tummys better? Poor guy
    planejane likes this.

Poor babe. I agree with a previous poster to STOP the solids, and IF YOU MUST - try easy to handle things like avocado and banana (even fruit/veg purees). and your Dr seems like an idiot.. milk to a tummy that is ALREADY inflammed and upset?! what a tool. I would just go back to BM only, and give him ATLEAST 4-8wks before you into food againn
    planejane likes this.
    Kelly & Owen

Expert Forum User

He is better today, we went back to the Dr yesterday and she ordered an xray but I held off since I didn't really think it was necessary and didn't want to expose DS to unnecessary radiation. He finally slept without waking up screaming in pain. We are going to hold off on solids for at least another month then maybe try again. He had problems when we tried avacado and banana as well. So we are just going to leave it. Sad thing is he really wants to eat when we eat he yells at us, so I have started spoon feeding him water so he thinks he is eating to. thanks all for you advice. it is horrible when a LO is in pain and you can't help.