Thread: gymnastics

Default gymnastics

hello everyone,

considering putting my 18 month old in gymnastics...any suggestions or experiences you want to share?

Expert Forum User

I put my DD in a 45min sat morning class at 20months....she has continued on and LOVES it. At the time, I thought I was insane- even though the class was for 18mos-3yr olds, we found the young ones just wanted to run around and do their own thing- I spent half the time bringing her back to the class, the other half consoling her tears. In the end, she learnt to wait her turn in line, and that she couldn't always do what she wanted to. It was a good learning experience, but with my DS now 20months old, I have decided to wait a little longer before enrolling him. IMHO 2yrs old would be a good age to start a structured class, before then, something very informal.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Beth

[quote="Sleepless in London"] I spent half the time bringing her back to the class, the other half consoling her tears. Beth[/quote

Thanks for sharing, I thought it was only my son who did this!!! By the last class (20 months) he learned to actually participate!! We haven't signed up again thought and that was this time last year.
    Ethan&Carter\'s Mom

Expert Forum User

We put my daughter in gymnastics when she was two. Even at that age she found it difficult to stay at each station for 15 minutes. (This was at Gymworld.) But she really loved it and always wanted to go back. (Sometimes we couldn't get her to leave!) There were some younger children (probably 18 months) who had a tough time and I felt bad for their parents because they'd have to practically drag the child around screaming. Gymworld is pretty structured, but I've heard that The Little Gym is better for young children. One mother I met told me she much preferred it, and her son had been to both. It's more money though. They offer a free trial class there so I think it'd be worth trying. I guess it depends where you live though too. For the cost, maybe a gymnastics program from Spectrum would be good because if your child doesn't like it, you haven't put as much money out.

I think it all depends on the nature of your child and the coach you get. We tried the sample class at The Little Gym and did not like it. I signed my daughter up at Gymworld when she wasn't quite 18 months and she loves it! They're very accomodating with the little ones there and her instructor, Miss Vickie, is amazing with her! Ava adores her and loves going to gym class so much so that we've signed her up for the winter and will register her for the spring session, too!

Expert Forum User

Maia started in January. She to at the beginning had no patients waiting her turn and wanted to run around. Now she loves it and is learning to wait and has a little more patients. If you don't mind chasing after her I say put her in it.