csl2063

Default Sleep patterns for 2-month old

Zia is almost 2 months old, and I'm getting concerned about how much she is sleeping. We've not been out of the house today, as I needed a rest, and she has spent most of the day sleeping.

I sometimes get very tired, and find it exhausting to try to keep her 'entertained' all day. I suffer from depression (though I've been doing really well for the last few months), so I try to avoid sleeping during the day as it is not good for me and makes me very lethargic. Usually I take her out for several hours every day (doctors appointments, the mall, swimming, the library, etc.) so she gets lots of stimulation, but on the days when we stay in I feel guilty because I just want to sleep and don't have the energy to be doing fun things with her.

While other people talk about their babies having 'naps' as though they're awake most of the time, Zia seems to sleep most of the time and has periods of being awake (usually 2 to 4 hours at a time). Is this normal, or is she sleeping too much?

Default sleeping

It sounds pretty normal to me. My DD is 4 months and only manages to be up for 2-3 hrs at a time if we are in the house all day. She wakes at 7, naps at 9.30 for a couple of hours then up till 2 then naps till 3.30ish then goes to bed for the night at 6.30 - 7 and I think that is normal. .... please someone correct me if I am wrong as I don't know, DD is our first!

If we are out doing things then she will be up for longer or may even nap more as the car sends her to sleep.

I think babies sleep when they need to so I should not worry about it, I think I read somewhere that they should sleep for 15 - 16 hrs in total for a 2- 4 month old?????

Expert Forum User

My DS is almost 7 weeks old and he sleeps most of the time still. He's usually up between 8 & 9 in the morning and nurses then he's asleep again until lunch time. He wakes up and eats then is usually up for about 1-1 1/2 hrs. then sleeps until about 2:30. He nurses again then sleeps until about 5 or 5:30 when he nurses then he has his longer waking period of about 2-3 hours. Then he has a couple of little cat naps/wake up periods until about 10:30 when he nurses and goes to bed for the night. He wakes every 3 hours at night to eat but he's asleep anywhere from 5-30 minutes after eating until his next feeding time.

I think your DD sounds very normal and the fact that she's awake when you're out is probably because she's curious (as my DS is also ) and she wants to see what's going on. Being at home, there isn't as much stimulation to keep her attention so she's sleeping, but she wouldn't sleep if she didn't need too.

Check out this link for average amounts of sleep a child needs at different ages:
    http://www.babycenter.com/topic/7645...20070219:0:0:0

Hope this helps.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

I love that link! I did a simular post not too long ago... My little man is 5 months now and still sleeps alot but is within normal range according to that chart. It is nice with my baby#2 on the sleepier side because it gives me time to do stuff around the house or spend time with my other son!

MBM
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

Senior Member Madie&Logan's Mom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie
    My DS is almost 7 weeks old and he sleeps most of the time still. He's usually up between 8 & 9 in the morning and nurses then he's asleep again until lunch time. He wakes up and eats then is usually up for about 1-1 1/2 hrs. then sleeps until about 2:30. He nurses again then sleeps until about 5 or 5:30 when he nurses then he has his longer waking period of about 2-3 hours. Then he has a couple of little cat naps/wake up periods until about 10:30 when he nurses and goes to bed for the night. He wakes every 3 hours at night to eat but he's asleep anywhere from 5-30 minutes after eating until his next feeding time.

I think your DD sounds very normal and the fact that she's awake when you're out is probably because she's curious (as my DS is also ) and she wants to see what's going on. Being at home, there isn't as much stimulation to keep her attention so she's sleeping, but she wouldn't sleep if she didn't need too.

Check out this link for average amounts of sleep a child needs at different ages:
    http://www.babycenter.com/topic/7645...20070219:0:0:0

Hope this helps.
    Logan is 2 months and sleeps/is awake EXACTLY the same as Owen! Even the 3 hour stretches through the night!
    ~Christine~

Mom to Madison Anne (5) and Logan Douglas (2)

Expert Forum User

Logan is 2 months and sleeps/is awake EXACTLY the same as Owen! Even the 3 hour stretches through the night!
    That's funny! It's nice when they start to get on some kind of a schedule isn't it? Then at least you can know kind of what to expect everyday.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Jennifer

Default Sleeping

Hi Everyone,

I am a first time visitor to this forum. I recently became a first time mom on May 4, 2007 to my daughter Madison. She was almost 6 weeks early and luckily no significant complications. I have been struggling with the sleep issue as well. Night time sleep is not a problem now. She sleeps 3-4 hours at a time at night and will nicely return to the bassinet after her feeds. It is the daytime that is the issue. She will sleep two hour stretches if I hold her but she wakes almost everytime I try to put her down into the bassinet. My doctor says I haven't and can't spoil her at this age but I am afraid she will never sleep on her own during the day. Because she is a preemie I know sleep is important to her so I feel the need to comfort her. Any suggestions to help with her daytime sleep regime. This forum has had very helpful information and I would truly like any suggestions you all may have. Thanks

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Re: Sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    Hi Everyone,

I am a first time visitor to this forum. I recently became a first time mom on May 4, 2007 to my daughter Madison. She was almost 6 weeks early and luckily no significant complications. I have been struggling with the sleep issue as well. Night time sleep is not a problem now. She sleeps 3-4 hours at a time at night and will nicely return to the bassinet after her feeds. It is the daytime that is the issue. She will sleep two hour stretches if I hold her but she wakes almost everytime I try to put her down into the bassinet. My doctor says I haven't and can't spoil her at this age but I am afraid she will never sleep on her own during the day. Because she is a preemie I know sleep is important to her so I feel the need to comfort her. Any suggestions to help with her daytime sleep regime. This forum has had very helpful information and I would truly like any suggestions you all may have. Thanks
    My DS is almost 6 mths and still does this.. lol sry no suggestions just know you arent alone

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

My first dd was born 6 wks early. She slept almost all day at the same age as your little one. What I did was sleep too. Okay so that's no help to you but it was sure what we both needed. Oh and by about 3 months or so she was going to sleep on her own.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Default Re: Sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    She will sleep two hour stretches if I hold her but she wakes almost everytime I try to put her down into the bassinet. My doctor says I haven't and can't spoil her at this age but I am afraid she will never sleep on her own during the day. Because she is a preemie I know sleep is important to her so I feel the need to comfort her. Any suggestions to help with her daytime sleep regime. This forum has had very helpful information and I would truly like any suggestions you all may have. Thanks
    If you feel the need to comfort her you should. My suggestion - get a ocmfortable baby wrap or snugli or whatever works for you and let baby sleep on you - but if you have a carrier, your hands are free to move about.

My personal philosophy in babies is to cater to their every whim for 6 months. Whatever they want they get no questions asked. Slowly, from 6 - 12 months, I start bringing about more structure and helping baby adjust to the world around her - which may mean she has to wait for her lunch while I clean up her brother's toileting accident - or that she cries for a few minutes at night ebfore I rush in to feed her, etc.
    K
    Mom of two sweeties

Expert Forum User

Jennifer wrote:
    She will sleep two hour stretches if I hold her but she wakes almost everytime I try to put her down into the bassinet. My doctor says I haven't and can't spoil her at this age but I am afraid she will never sleep on her own during the day. Because she is a preemie I know sleep is important to her so I feel the need to comfort her. Any suggestions to help with her daytime sleep regime. This forum has had very helpful information and I would truly like any suggestions you all may have. Thanks
    I don't think you have anything to worry about! My daughter was exactly the same way, slept lots if she was held and cried when we put her down, even if she was asleep in our arms first. I was worried as well, but when she was a little older and we started putting her into her crib and teaching her to fall asleep on her own, she began to love her crib and wouldn't sleep if we held her lol! I would enjoy the time now cuddling her! Just a word of warning, even when you do start to have her nap on her own, chances are she'll only sleep for 40 minute stretches when she completes 'one cycle' but eventually that will become longer as well!
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)