Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Maplelea, AG,Newberry, Journery girl etc. hair..

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Maplelea, AG,Newberry, Journery girl etc. hair..

So I hear their hair is a big difference. My kids have journey girl dolls and they really can't even brush their hair because it comes out so badly. Is there any of the cheaper versions that their hair does not come out?

I'm thinking of springing for the Maplelea or the AG dolls for Christmas but am wondering does their hair really hold up? Has anyone been able to compare the Maplelea to AG? I think at this point my one DD likes the look of the Maplelea better so that is likely the way I am going to go.

I was wondering if anyone who has one could give me input and I also would like input on the cheaper versions as well because I am planning on going that route for my 2 year old as I know she will want a similar doll but I don't think I would buy her an expensive one at this point because she's so young. I just want to know if any of the cheaper ones like Newberry, what their hair is like.

I'm disappointed with the journey girls. I wish they would cost a bit more and have better hair because the dolls themselves are adorable and otherwise they are really good quality.

Expert Forum User

For the cheaper dolls, I really like the Our Generation dolls, Target in the US has them but I saw them at Costco just before Christmas last year. The hair doesn't come out as badly as the journey girl dolls, their eyes open and close and they hold their pose, like sitting better, however their bum is non existent so I find pants and skirts fall down more than they do on a journey girl.

We have both the journey girl and our generation dolls in our house and there are things I like about each of them, but I must say my friend's dd has the AG doll and the hair is amazing.
    my2babies likes this.

Expert Forum User

I don't know if it would help or not with hair falling out. I have heard using a metal comb on the hair works best. Like for a dog comb. We also have the journey girl. We just don't comb hair very often. Pick a hair style and keep it! You'd think for the price of these dolls the hair would not fall out.
    my2babies likes this.

Expert Forum User

The AG hair does get gnarly but smoothes out nicely when we use the AG brush. We have Our Generation and she's pretty darn close. But the AG doll is a tad nicer...hair, pose-a-bility etc.
    my2babies likes this.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

We have AG dolls. My dd is always styling, brushing and combing their hair. Over and over and over! Yes be sure to use the metal brush that AG sells. Also you can mist their hair lightly with water which does help Their hair still looks amazing! I am super happy with the AG dolls. My girls think the maplelea dolls look kind of creepy lol I personally agree and don't think they are as cute. You can get bitty babies and bitty twins from AG too which are meant for the younger set. The twins are about the same price as the reg dolls and the bitty babies are even cheaper.
    my2babies likes this.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Thanks for your input. I'll make sure whatever doll we get the right kind of brush. Thanks for the tips on that.

We have a bitty baby as is, which has been a big hit but now they are moving on to the 18 inch dolls. Bitty baby still get's a lot of play though. Generally she's played with daily as are the journey girls.

The whole hair thing is my thing. My oldest does not care that she can't style the journey girls hair but our middle was pretty much heartbroken when she found out how much hair would come out when she brushed it and loves styling hair. She's also just newly 6, so I know she will probably enjoy whatever doll we get her for a while yet.

So I am kind of thinking for the youngest the OG dolls sound good, I am not as big on the look of them as I am some of the others. That is kind of why I want to figure out if the Newberry dolls hair is any better.

I'm just trying to get all their gifts figured out, I hate waiting till last min. and want my shopping done soon!

Expert Forum User

DD has Kaya and some other AG doll (Caroline maybe?) Kaya has beautiful hair (it's in braids) the other, well it's a hot mess. DD is two and doesn't brush it though. I will have to look into that comb. I have no experience with any other brands, but have heard decent reviews of Our Generation dolls.

AG definitely has the nicest hair... aside from that option, i'd recommend Our Generation. Target at Westmount mall has a bunch. Definitely find a brush with metal teeth. You'll likely find one at Walmart or Target... if you can't find it in the hair section, try the craft section and buy a macrame brush; they're essentially the same thing. Also for really messy AG hair, we spray a little leave in conditioner or a small amount of fabric softener into the hair and then brushing is easier.
    pumpkinsmom likes this.

Expert Forum User

When did you see them at westmount JB? I just called there & they think they're sold out because they couldn't find any.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Ginny sold me on the Maplelea dolls. She mentioned their hair among other things. The girls are getting them for Christmas from my MIL, so I don't know what they're like IRL. I think all these dolls are creepy looking I was hoping to avoid them, but now the girls' friends have them so they're hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinsmom View Post
    When did you see them at westmount JB? I just called there & they think they're sold out because they couldn't find any.
    It was a week or two ago. And then I saw them at Target in Port Huron on the weekend as well. The one at Westmount usually has them in stock though... I've only seen them out of stock a few times before (and yes... we seem to have to walk by them every time we go to a Target). Shannon's getting a "big horse" for Christmas this year, and a small lab looking doll, and the camper.

Expert Forum User

jb -- did you see the camper in London, or a US target? I need to get that!

Expert Forum User

Does anyone else sew/knit/crochet their doll clothes? I just finished 1 poncho, 1 shrug, and two dresses for them. Just wondering if there are any recommended patterns?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinsmom View Post
    Does anyone else sew/knit/crochet their doll clothes? I just finished 1 poncho, 1 shrug, and two dresses for them. Just wondering if there are any recommended patterns?
    have you checked out pinterest?
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Now I am kind of kicking myself I didn't order when AG had free shipping! I am leaning towards that for my middle daughter. Still considering Maplelea and not sure about little DD. I prefer the look of the newberry to the OG but the OG seems to be highly reviewed. Thanks for all your input. Any more I'd be happy to hear.
    Last edited by my2babies; 11-14-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast