Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: EVERY HOUR we need HELP

Expert Forum User

Default EVERY HOUR we need HELP

DS is 4 months and EBF, he slept for three or four hours at a time or through the night, for some reason now he is waking up every hour or two to nurse through the night and it is killing me. I am so tired, I thought at first it was a growth spurt and went with it but we are going on week 2 and it doesn't seem to be stopping. I finally gave in on Thursday night and we gave him a bit of Avacado and he slept for 4 hours then up for about 1hr nursing then slept for another 3 I really didn't give him much avacado, and there were other factors, like I put him angled up on the nursing pillow, I had stopped eating dairy for two days before that. I don't know if any of this did anything but I need to find a way to get him back to sleeping.

He won't nap unless I am holding him usually, I can never get him down for the night without holding him or being next to him and then being up with him every hour I am not getting any kind of brake at all. I am so close to giving up and going with formula so maybe he will be fuller and sleep and DH can help. I haven't been able to pump for the two weeks because he is nursing so much there is nothing to really pump. He is also a BIG boy at 4months he is 18 pounds and is wearing 9month clothes. Also we do co sleep. HELP

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Sorry you are going through it. I think most of us have BTDT. Regarding switching to formula....I caution you to not believe the "old wives" tale that it will make them fuller and sleep longer. My BF baby slept much better than my formula fed baby.....and, it is a LOT more convenient, when you're up every hour, to BF rather than trudging up and down the stairs to make/warm bottles JMHO. If you cut out dairy and elevated his sleeping space with good results, I'd stick to that and see what happens.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

Sorry, I can't read the whole post due to the black bar but is he actually eating every hour or just soothing? Does he take a soother? I would attempt to give him a soother if it's been less then a few hours since he ate last and see if that will help soothe him back to sleep and, hopefully, he'll start to sleep longer between waking.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Are you producing much milk? I needed to take diclectin in order to breast feed for 2.5 years, and started it when dd was about 7 weeks. I was not able to pump very much at all during the 2.5 years.

I wish I could offer some suggestions but DD does the same thing

Expert Forum User

He is Grace. She was exactly the same.
    shes still not where we'd like but its managable. I think shes slowly getting better with age.
    will you DH cosleep with him in a different bed? Thats what we do. She'll sleep all night with him, and my boobies arent tempting her to snack.

Expert Forum User

G is also a big baby. Shes in the 85th-90th percentile for her measurements and in 9-12 month clothes.
    planejane likes this.

Expert Forum User

Sounds dreadful, you poor thing. I can understand the temptation to supplement with formula because it can get to the stage that *you* need a rest, and that's a good enough reason. It may not solve the sleeping issue though.

What could be the cause? Early teething? Silent reflux? (My reflux baby fed a lot and napped horribly in the early months, although he puked all the time I understand that's not always a symptom and mothers milk helps soothe reflux so they feed frequently. If that's the problem then formula would likely make things worse.) Developmental - early crawling? Has a draught suddenly appeared in the room with the season change?

Expert Forum User

Try putting her in another room to sleep. I moved both babies out of my bed when they started feeding every hour or less. Hey mom is right here let's sooth. That helped. They still woke up to eat 1-2 times a night but much better then every 45 minutes.

Expert Forum User

I Had thought possibly reflux because he slept so well propped up, I know I am producing enough because through the day he goes 3 hours no problem and he will nurse and nurse barf while nursing and still want to eat. It is such a change from thinking he was sleeping to much. Once he actually gets a good sleep he sleeps a lot, on me though. I am terrified to leave him to Co sleep with DH cause Dh passers right out and is dead to the world. I just keep hoping when I go to bed every night it will be a good night. I plan to try him in his crib tonight which is in my room.

Expert Forum User

Both my boys were the same way. DS1 got better at 6 months and starting sleeping 2 hours at a time, and finally slept through the whole night at 12 months. DS2 was every hour, but at about 6 months he would sleep for a few hours, but then wake every hour after that till about 18 months. He would sleep in his crib, then come to my bed to sleep after his first wake up, since he refused to be set back down. Even if I pumped him full of cereal at bedtime he would still wake up, so food didn't work. He started sleeping all night just before his 2nd bday. I find it is just all part of being a parent.
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 11-11-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Expert Forum User

I had him in his crib last night and he was up every two hours, half the time I don't know why I even bother trying to go to sleep I should just stay awake it is worse trying to sleep and not getting any then not trying at all. I really don't think I can go on like this forever. I have no energy to do anything and feel crappy because I am so tired.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

When you say he was "up", are you responding as soon as he makes a noise (since you are in the same room)? Or are you letting him fuss a bit first?
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

If it will help you feel better, invest in some nursing mothers tea, if he truly was not getting enough milk, you would have known waaay before now. Be careful about giving him food or formula because while your milk supply is well established, it's a slippery slope. breastfeeding is all about supply and demand. could he be teething, having a growth spurt or maybe both? could it be gas even?. I know you probably feel like your going crazy right about now, but, what about looking up some sleep tips? (if you haven't already) 31 Ways to Get Your Baby to Sleep and Stay Asleep | Ask Dr Sears® | The Trusted Resource for Parents. Good luck I hope you get to the bottom of the problem quickly.
    Why yes I'm a Doula! (in training) come check out my Facebook for more info!. Or PM me!
    https://www.facebook.com/greatexpectationsdoula

here is my doulamatch profile: http://doulamatch.net/profile/6878/kate-williamson

Expert Forum User

I do leave him to try and settle back on his own because sometimes he does, I always do the quick go back to sleep and sleep more before he starts to cry thing. I am pretty sure I have enough milk he certainly isn't starving because he is gaining weight really well. Although I do know that the one side has less than the other since I had mastitis. I spent the day just trying to have him nap in his bed and made plans for my mom to come and take care of him tomorrow afternoon so I can nap. He just slept so well before I don't understand what is going on now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast