Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By AuntPetunia
  • 1 Post By newmum2
  • 1 Post By Happily Ever After
  • 1 Post By NikkiJ

Thread: Canker Sores

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Canker Sores

What are your best DIY canker sore relievers?? DD1 and I both have one right now and they're killing us. I usually put salt directly on it, but that seems a little cruel to do to her. Help??

Expert Forum User

I usually don't do anything. DD and I both get them and they hurt for a few days and then start to feel better. I remember as a kid gargling with salt water to help them but it did sting.
    Shannon

Nothing is Impossible, if you just Believe

Salt would irritate it more no?

when i get it I dab a bit of toothpaste on top of the canker sore. ( assuming it's not inside of your mouth)
    Last edited by elvira; 11-06-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Stop eating the Halloween candy. Usually I only get them when I am eating too much sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by elvira View Post
    Salt would irritate it more no?

when i get it I dab a bit of toothpaste on top of the canker sore. ( assuming it's not inside of your mouth)
    What do you mean? All canker sores are inside my mouth! And most toothpastes have SLS in them which causes cankers.

I told DD it was from Halloween candy and she looked devastated. Hers probably is. Mine isn't.
    pink-lily likes this.

'Orajel' canker sore numbing treatment - works instantly and lasts awhile
    AuntPetunia likes this.
    tough times don't last but tough people do

Expert Forum User

I've never heard of salt...... I usually lick my finger then dip in baking soda and then apply that to the canker sore.....

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

have her rinse with salt water instead of just putting it on the sore directly. I find mouthwash helps too.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntPetunia View Post
    What do you mean? All canker sores are inside my mouth! And most toothpastes have SLS in them which causes cankers.

I told DD it was from Halloween candy and she looked devastated. Hers probably is. Mine isn't.
    my started inside the lip and spread to the outside. According to some info I read on line it said to stay away from salty food but rinse your mouth with salt and water. Very confusing.

There are many things you can try at home to relieve the pain caused by your canker sores:
    • Eat soft, bland foods that are easy to swallow, such as yogurt or cream soup. Cut your food into small pieces or mash or puree it. Avoid coffee, chocolate, spicy or salty foods, citrus fruits or juices, nuts, seeds, and tomatoes.
    • Drink cold fluids, such as water or iced tea, or eat Popsicles. Sometimes fluid touching the canker sore can cause a stinging pain. Use a straw so the fluid doesn't touch the canker sore. Hold ice on the canker sore until it is numb.
    • Rinse your mouth with salt water. To make a salt water rinse, dissolve 1 tsp (5 g) of salt in 1 cup (250 mL) of warm water.
    • Buy an over-the-counter medicine such as Orabase, Anbesol, or milk of magnesia to put on your canker sores. Use a cotton swab to apply the medicine. Put it on your sores 3 to 4 times a day.
    • Take a pain reliever, such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), including aspirin (such as Bayer), ibuprofen (such as Advil), or naproxen (such as Aleve). Do not give aspirin to anyone younger than 20 because of the risk of Reye syndrome.

Expert Forum User

A canker sore is an ulcer. They dont exactly why people get them. Sometimes they can stem from a wound, like a bitten lip or toothbrush jab.
    Anything that irritates the ulcer such as salt, acidic foods, etc will make the healing time 10x worse. (My mom used to put lemon juice on mine which was awful advice but she meant well).
    "Kanka" works well to numb the pain but honestly you just have to ride it out. I used to get them ALL THE TIME. They would turn black on the middle they were so deep.

I don't know, salt totally works for me. I did it yesterday and today it feels mostly healed. Looks better than DD's.

I always use salt too - stings like crazy but seems to help. I always thought it's because the salt causes it to shrivel up, so it doesn't feel as inflamed and sore.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

If it is from Halloween candy I would be devastated to. So what I have learned I can eat all the candy and if I get a canker I rub salt on it. Check! I get them all the time but it is because I chew in the inside of my mouth as a nervous habit. I normally just let them heal on their own.
    pink-lily likes this.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Quote Originally Posted by Happily Ever After View Post
    If it is from Halloween candy I would be devastated to. So what I have learned I can eat all the candy and if I get a canker I rub salt on it. Check! I get them all the time but it is because I chew in the inside of my mouth as a nervous habit. I normally just let them heal on their own.
    Same here!

I've also read that lack of nutrients and stress can cause them. I am starting to get them often now, I'm assuming thats why lol They suck, I just suck it up and deal with it!

Expert Forum User

I used to get them a lot when I was younger. My mom always used to make me drink black tea as hot as I could stand it. It always worked. I would put the tea in my mouth and swish it around the canker within he hour it would 'pop' and be fine the next day.
    AuntPetunia likes this.
    I'm

[/B]