Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KerryLee17

Thread: Breastfeeding a toddler

Default Breastfeeding a toddler

Who's breastfeeding a toddler? Who's breastfed a toddler in the past? How old is your little one? What do you enjoy about it and what irritates you? Does/did anyone disapprove?

I'm still breastfeeding my 24 month old DD and like Shakira I want to keep on going until she's in college!

Expert Forum User

I ebf my ds until he was 4 yo. My dd1 only until she was 15 mo bc we were expecting again and due to extenuating circumstances, was concerned that I wouldn't be able to maintain the pg if I continued to bf. Now with dd2, I'm only at 14 mo and am not planning to stop anytime soon but not sure that I'll do the 4 yo thing either.

You're best not to ask if anyone disapproves because the answer for sure is going to be yes. Quite frankly, I'm not sure why that matters. As a mother, what matters to me is that I make the best choice for my child, my family and myself. (Probably in that order.) Whether anyone else approves or disapproves matters not a lick.

I enjoy the closeness. I like how it forces me to sit down and take time with that child. It's so easy to get caught up in the "to do's" and busyness of life. It does feel constraining at times like when I'd like to go away for an overnight but worry that the baby is going to be ok without me. But, over-all, I'm thankful that I've had an easy time bfing all of my little ones and wouldn't change a thing about it.

Expert Forum User

I weaned my son in May just before his 3rd birthday. He would probably nurse until he went to school..but we I felt it was time. He was still nursing through the night and we both needed more sleep. I loved nursing him that long..and would still be doing it if he slept better. We only did it at home. Lots of people had opinions about it, but I don't really care. It was an amazing experience. It created a fantastic bond and its wish its something I would have done with my older kids. It was best for us...and that all that matters.

Expert Forum User

I bf my first to almost 20 months, my second weaned herself at 10.5 months and I pumped until she was 14 months () and my third is still nursing now.
    benefits- tantrums are more easily solved, I get a break to plop my butt down with the baby several times a day, I don't have to wean the baby Disadvantages- she usually nurses before naps and nights so it's still very hard for DH to put her to sleep. Also, it's awkward if we're staying over at the inlaws or somewhere where others don't approve.

[/url]

Expert Forum User

My third child is 2.5, we are still breastfeeding and co-sleeping. What I like: I can comfort her and/or put her to sleep anywhere, the snuggle time we get, the nice quiet time, it's time that I get to read whatever book I'm on. What I dislike: sometimes I don't want to breastfeed when she wants to I don't worry much about what other people think, I do rather enjoy breastfeeding in public....I look at it as a public service! lol The more people get used to seeing it the more accepted it will become! I am very comfortable breastfeeding anywhere (except in public washrooms) and I think it is a most natural thing to do or witness, I hope that people adopt my attitude. I think my own family think it's time to stop, but I do what's best for our family and apparently I've always done what I wanted so no one says anything to me I do have a very supportive group within our homeschool community (it's probably the norm with them...lol) and my husband is completely supportive.
    Last edited by momx2; 10-30-2013 at 09:44 AM.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

I breastfed up till 18months with DD until I dried up due to this pregnancy, she will ocassionally dry nurse but usually ends up getting upset and bites hard! YOUCH! I am really hoping she wants to start breastfeeding when the baby gets here, or when my colostrum starts coming in. She still has lots of interest and misses it! (Same as I!) My hope was to breastfeed her till 2, now I'm aiming for 3 if she picks it back up!) Hoping the next baby wants to breastfeed awhile too! I love it but the gym-nurstics can be interesting at times!

DOULA IN Training with toLabor, with Mother Essence Birth Services in Sarnia!

I nursed until she was about 30 months old. I didn't necessarily tell anyone about it because I know people have different opinions, and this was of no ones concern. I finally stopped because I was the only one who could put her to bed at night, and I wanted to take cold medication without worrying. You know, the good stuff, like NyQuil and Neocitrian!

Expert Forum User

DS1 nursed for 22 months (tandem for 3ish weeks)
    DD nursed for 26 months (tandem for 1 month)
    DS2 is still nursing at 28 months.
    I really enjoy the closeness and the bonding the comes with breastfeeding. The older two stopped shortly after I had a new baby. I'm not sure how long DS2 will nurse for but it's working for us right now. DS2 is very demanding so sometimes I don't like when he grabs at my face or my shirt and asks for his "milks". I don't think most people know that we are still nursing but I don't hide it either. DS2 generally nurses at nap and bedtimes and through the night (co-sleeping).

Still nursing DS at 30 months. I love the closeness and that it is something only he and I can do. It is also a wonderful, wonderful way to soothe tantrums and ouchies. I've nursed at the park, the car at Dollarama, etc. He typically nurses before nap, bed and first thing in the morning. Nice for me to have some downtime when I cuddle with him. We had pretty much been co-sleeping up until a couple months ago and he was nursing through the night then. I fully expected this pattern to continue but then he suddenly started sleeping through. I am loving the extra sleep and some personal space to myself at night.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I nursed ds until 13 months when I got pregnant with dd#1 and nursed her until 16 month when I got pregnant with dd#2. I nursed dd#2 until she was just over 3. Partially because I wasn't sure how to wean when not pregnant! The other two pretty much self weaned when I got pregnant. But also I loved the bonding and the ease of stopping fussing. The only downside was our families, no support there for ebf!!
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User

I bfed #1 until her 2nd b-day.
    #2 I am still bfing. Family on both sides and the very few friends I have told are pushing me to stop. I get hounded at daily to stop, and all the "you don't want her to ask for boob...."

I am enjoying the bonding, being able to calmer her down, the awesome cleavage, and the cheaper grocery bills. I am 44 yrs old, this is my last baby, I am not in a hurry to stop.
    a_bun_in_the_oven likes this.

Expert Forum User

A few crappy people have already pressured me to stop, and my dd is barely 10 months old. Its "weird", "just wrong when they can ask".

Expert Forum User

I nursed my boy until he was 3 ( weaned about a mth before his birthday). Everyone had an opinion about it, but I really didn't care. It was an amazing experience for both of us. I wish I would have lasted longer with my other kids. He never slept through the night while nursing so I think that was the worst part...but other then that I loved everything about it.