Expert Forum User

Default Martial Arts....where to begin?

DD1, who is 8, really wants to join karate. I do not know the first thing about the different types of martial arts. I only know that there are a bizillion of them. I don't really want to make a big commitment right now financially, until I know that it is something that she is going to enjoy. I have looked at the Spectrum book at the different classes offered, and I end up getting even more confused.

Has anyone ever had their LOs in martial arts through Spectrum? If so, is there a class that you would recommend, especially for a beginner?

I don't know where to begin! TIA.
    Formerly known as London skye

Check out my Kijiji link! Lots of great stuff priced to sell!

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ425988249

Expert Forum User

We did TaekwonDo (not through Spectrum).
    Most places offer a trial (2 - 4 weeks) for free or a reduced cost.
    I don't know about other martial arts but FYI - Tri Star TaeKwonDo was up to 5 days a week that we could attend - they focused on different parts of the art on different days. It was encouraged to attend at least 3x per week in order to advance through the levels (belts). After our trial period - we had to sign up for a year committment (which was a long time IMO). Our cost was around $90/month + testing (went up in $$ for each belt - but was on average $75 every two months) + extra uniform and t-shirt ($45) + sparring gear ($300)..... so you need to be EXTRA sure that your kiddo is going to stick with it if you sign them up. We finished our year and haven't been back. Oh and I have a full set of sparring gear worn like twice (he didn't like the sparring and refused to go on Monday's when they practiced it).

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Family Karate

they do not charge for testing or belts

VERY reasonable costs and awesome schules you can go as often as you want or as little.

Expert Forum User

MY DS IS 9 and we just signed up for Oakridge Taekwondo. It was 6 months and a free uniform for $119. He is doing awesome and LOVES it. The teacher is FANTASTIC!!! Pm me if you would like more info or a referral name they have mon-thurs and sat for beginers. you can go 3 Times a week.

I don't believe she charges for testing for belts either,
    Last edited by MamaM; 10-25-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Junior Member doubletroublemoms's Avatar

We did a session through Spectrum at Carling Heights CC. I think it was for karatedo. I don't know, it's a variation of karate? Anyway, the boys were so-so on it. It was last winter they went, and about half way through the sessions, they got sick and missed 2 sessions and then they just didn't want to go back. So glad that we didn't put down lots of money for a real martial arts place.

We might try again with Spectrum but with a different discipline - maybe true karate or even kung fu, but it's just a matter of their wanting to go try it again.