Exclamation Hand, Foot and Mouth Virus.. What do I do??

I believe my son has caught this horrible hand, foot, mouth virus! What do I do for him? Is it worth to take him to the dr? I read they wont give antibiotics for a viral (only if its bacterial)... do I just give him baby Tylenol and constant liquids/freezies etc? My son is 13 months... what do I do?? He doesn't seem bothered by spots and no fever but has bad rash on bumb and hands especially and near mouth. Ive been using desitin cream on bumb is that ok?

Go to the doctors.

My niece caught that at that age, the Dr told her mom to rest, lots of fluids and let it run its course. One of the sores got infected so she was prescribed a cream after a week but no antibiotics or anything. It's common and just needs to work itself out, take him in if ur concerned or if you are not sure that it's hanf/foot/mouth

Expert Forum User

My son got this when he was 17 months old. It sucked!!! 10 full days of misery. I did take him to the docs but they didn't do anything besides confirm it was hand, foot & mouth and told me it had to run its course as it's viral. My son was miserable b/c of the sores in his mouth. It was difficult for him to eat. He had lots of popsicles & freezies. Hope he feels better soon.

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~

My son and daughter both had it last year. I felt so bad, but the same thing. The Dr just said Advil for the pain and fever and let it run its course.

Expert Forum User

My daughter got it when she was one. 2 weeks of hell. She was a thumb sucker then sucked the blisters off her thumb and then she just cried for 3 days straight. I had to give her benadryl (doctor told me to ) so she could sleep it was heartbreaking. But yeah there isn't much you can do for it, fluids, tylenol rest. And keep her home until the blisters have scabbed, it's super contagious.

[/url]

I think my 18 mth old son got this virus as well. My son love eating; eat and drink a lot all the time. But starting from 3-4 days ago, he refused to eat nor drink. Since he didn't have any fever, I though it was only some canker in his mouth. But today, I found 4-5 tiny blister under his foot and bumb. But now his mouth is totally fine and start eating again, no more upset. Should I still bring him to the dr? Should I keep him home or keeping sending him to school since his symptom is gone?

Expert Forum User

I'd let his school know that he has it, and it's probably infected other babies. But if he's feeling better he can probably go back. I'd call and ask your doctor.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

If your pretty sure that's what it is, then I would just call your Dr. and see how long they recommend you keep him at home for. I think if you noticed he has new sores that he still could be contagious. I think it's most contagious the first week.