Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rainbow Looms and Loops

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Rainbow Looms and Loops

Someone please explain these to me. I saw fun loops in the OTC coop, but I don't know what they are. Then my DD came home with a loom bracelet today?? And I keep seeing rainbow loom things. Are these all the same thing? She really loved the idea of a loom or whatever, but both this bracelet and the fun loops are rubber (latex) and that's a banned substance in this house. Are there other options?

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I found some latex free ones at the dollar store. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise I think of you every time I look for things like this lol. We made them by hand. A loom is only required for the more complex designs. My kids have made 2 different styles by hand and are quite happy. I didn't want to spend money on the loom since I know in a few weeks it will be put away to never be used again when the next fad comes along.

It's pretty popular at our school right now. Like the boys are wearing rings, necklaces and bracelets too! My kids made bracelets, hair pretties, necklaces and ones to hang off their back packs.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Rainbow Loom

D LOVES these and spends HOURS a day making bracelets she is doing hard level bracelets now and its awesome.

I wont buy the 1$ packs of elastics because she said they break easier and honestly at 3.99 a pack for the name brand ones I dont mind paying becasue there are huge numbers of em in a pack.

This has been a god send for her motor skills , focus teaching and patience teaching.
    Ingalls and pumpkinsmom like this.

Expert Forum User

My dd has the rainbow loom. I paid $18.99 for it at michaels. All of DD's elasticity are latex free. I only buy the name brand ones, but she came home from her dad's this weekend with dollar store ones (as they are glitter ones)

I didn't think dd would play with this after the first week, but it has been two months and her and her friends are always making something almost daily! She is 13.

Can't use those ones here, SP, DS has a latex allergy.

Thanks OOG, I'll look at the $ store. She's been moaning about them since she got home and I broke the bad news. Good thing DS isn't at school yet or there would be a lot of sad kids! :/

Has anyone used these? Potholders Book: Loom, Loops and Learn How In One Fun Book They're a cotton blend.

thanks HM3, I'll look those up!
    Last edited by AuntPetunia; 10-17-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Expert Forum User
    AuntPetunia likes this.

The latex free ones are listed on Masterminds toys website so the store on Fanshawe might have them
    AuntPetunia likes this.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by AuntPetunia View Post
    Can't use those ones here, SP, DS has a latex allergy.

Thanks OOG, I'll look at the $ store. She's been moaning about them since she got home and I broke the bad news. Good thing DS isn't at school yet or there would be a lot of sad kids! :/

The name brand ones from Rainbow Loom that SP linked are latex free. It states it on the outside of the box and on the bag of elastics inside the box.

I wouldn't guarantee the dollar store ones are latex free.
    sittingpretty and Ingalls like this.

OK, asked the SB world. Apparently some are not natural rubber, they're a synthetic rubber. The Rainbow Loom brand and the kind from Michael's (which may be the same?) are safe, as are some $ store. Others, possibly not. I don't know what my daughter brought home today, but it was powdery like latex. OMG, DD1 is going to be so excited. I wonder if I can hold out until Christmas!
    one ordinary girl and KathyM like this.

Expert Forum User

Michaels, Scholar's Choice and Chapters all sell the Rainbow Loom ones that are latex free. Just a heads up, Michaels won't let you use the 40% off coupons on the kits or the refills.
    AuntPetunia likes this.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by AuntPetunia View Post

Has anyone used these? Potholders Book: Loom, Loops and Learn How In One Fun Book They're a cotton blend.
    I remember doing those as a kid!

Aren't the 40% off coupons good for anything? How can they restrict that specifically? That's weird; isn't it?

Expert Forum User

Nope, not good for anything, read the fine print there are a lot of restrictions. I have one here in my purse I was trying to use, it's restrictions list:
    As Seen On TV products, MiDesign, Silhouette and Cricut brand items, Tulip Screenit, Fiskars Fuse Machine, Rainbow Loom and rubber bands, sewing machines, 4' and taller Christmas trees, books, magazines, DVDs, etc etc etc. It goes on for several more lines.

wow.... clearly i haven't been reading the fine print. Guess I've jusst been lucky so far and haven't happened to try to buy anything on their "exlusion" list!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    The latex free ones are listed on Masterminds toys website so the store on Fanshawe might have them
    They also have a store on Wonderland south now. Where Scholars choice used to be across from toys r us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast