Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PicklePig
  • 1 Post By one ordinary girl

Thread: Swimming lesson options

Expert Forum User

Default Swimming lesson options

I haven't put my kids in swim lessons yet, but would like to get my daughter started this winter so that we're not back to square one in the summer. What sort of options are available for 4 year olds who can't yet swim? I really want the class to focus on good technique.

Spectrum classes seem to be very hit and miss. I'm a bit worried about putting her in a class that will make her nervous.

We don't have Y membership. It might be an option if it's worth it.

Also, I'll have a crazy two year old in tow who won't sit nicely, so how does that work in terms of supervision? (For both of them.) Definitely something to bear in mind when picking a class I guess!

Wisdom very much appreciated.
    Granola likes this.

Junior Member doubletroublemoms's Avatar

We put our boys in private swimming lessons through the Chelsea Park Health Club. They're in the Chelsea Park retirement home across from Cherryhill Mall. I found the one-on-one instruction is great. They do not follow the Red Cross program as they do with the Spectrum classes though.

They are 30 min lessons and the parents can wait in an adjoining room, with windows to watch your kids. They have a salt water pool and the pool temp is super warm. I can't remember how much it costs. I think it was like $275 for both my boys, for 8 week sessions.

Expert Forum User

If you got a Y membership you could put your LO in the daycare while your older one is in lessons. I did that for 1 session. You could also try and coordinate a parent tot swim along with one for your older one so you are all swimming. I did that too. Once your LO is 3 they can be in lessons alone and you can sit on the sidelines and watch. With 2 kids in swim lessons and if you go every now and again for a program or to the gym or treehouse the membership is worth it.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Berkshire club also does lessons. I know it was pretty comparable to the spectrum classes price wise. My niece ( she's 2) has been going there since the summer and mom is quite happy. I'm also pretty sure she had one on one lessons too for that price.
    BabyLove likes this.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

We have our 4 and 6 year old in semi private lessons at Chelsea Park and love it! They are learning so much more than they have been through the spectrum. My 2 year old waits with me in the waiting area. He's good with watching for about 10 minutes, than 10 mins he's walking around and the other 10 mins is spent reading or playing with the leappad. They have a parent and tot class on the weekends and then a "free swim" Monday's at 10am. We haven't tried either of those yet but I'm sure they are great as well.

Expert Forum User

Thank you all! That's a lot of great info.

To be honest I'm not really interested in parent & tot classes, just the instruction. I'm in the water with them all summer.

Expert Forum User

The YMCA is awesome for swim lessons and my DS1 and DS2 have been doing lessons parent free since they were 3 years old. I really like the teaching style of the swim instructions and there is the option of private lessons (with a small charge) if needed. There is free childcare from 3months to 3 years while your older child(dren) are in swim lessons.

You do not have to be a Y member to have your children take swimming lessons as you can pay privately just for swim lessons.

Hope that helps.
    Granola is a Mum to 2 wonderful boys

Expert Forum User

Yes, that is very helpful, thanks Granola!

Expert Forum User

We really like Chelsey Park as well. You can have both of them take private lessons at the same time. I do not recommend semi private as your 2yo will demand more of the instructors time. DD1 is almost done at Chelsey They go up to about red cross level 3 / 4 (not an exact match for the program, but that is their guide). The pool is too small and too shallow for some level 4 skills. It is a great learn to swim program. They are taking registrations for their 4 week November session now, might be a good way to see if you like the program.

Finan is also good and you may be able to get them both in lessons there as well.

Swimming Lessons | London Ontario | Finan Swim School

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
    Finan is also good and you may be able to get them both in lessons there as well.
    Anyone know what the cost is like at Finan?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    Anyone know what the cost is like at Finan?
    I think it was about $10-12 per lesson, groups are 5 or less per instructor. It is more than spectrum, but less than Chelsey ($17/ private lesson).

Expert Forum User

We did YMCA last year after having done Aquatic Centre DD's first year and then a failed attempt at Boys & Girl's Club swimming lessons. YMCA seemed more skills focused and less fun focused and DD kept asking when they were going to play. However, it might have just been the change from Parent Tot swim lessons to "real" swimming lessons that we were noticing. The Y's pool was nice and warm, the instructors were great, we probably will go back again this year. We are not members and just paid a slightly higher rate for lessons than the members do.

Expert Forum User

How does childcare work at the Y? Does it fill up and you're left disappointed sometimes? Can you use childcare for a fee if you're not a member?

Chelsey is actually pretty reasonable if you have two children for a semi-private lesson.

I agree, some activities through Spectrum can be hit and miss, but I've found the swimming lessons to be great. I took my daughter to the south London pool, and she loved it. I plan on taking my 5mo old there soon for some water time as well.
    Amberley S . - Independent Distributor - Young Living Essential Oils. "Give your medicine cabinet an all natural, healthy makeover, today".