Thread: Amblyopia

Default Amblyopia

My 6 year old daughter just got diagnosed with refractive amblyopia. The doctor we have recommends glasses and significant patching. I am very worried for her. I found there are several other doctors in London who are prescribing SHAW lens glasses and no patching for this problem. Has anyone heard about this or have a child with SHAW lenses? Any information would be helpful. Thank you. I just want to make an educated decision for my sweet baby.

My DD has this AKA "lazy eye" I posted about it a month ago in a thread about eye see eye learn program. She now has glasses that were free from this program, not sure if your DD would qualify or not. We had NO IDEA she couldn't see out of her one eye, she a bright kid and there was no indicators she even had an issue we just got her checked out before she went to school as they recommend. Not sure what the lenses are that that you are talking about.. Hers are really magnified on the bad side. Dr. said hers was so bad her brain likely wasn't even registering that there was a second eye because she was relying on her good eye only. We have to be aggressive with treatment because of this! we go back at the end of this month (she's been wearing the glasses since sept.) to see if there is ANY improvement if not we will do the patching...but if there is improvement we can continue to use the glasses... Best of luck feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about it
    Families are like fudge... mostly sweet with a few nuts.
    -- Author Unknown

Expert Forum User

I have a lazy eye. As a child I was patched for quite some time. I remember having headaches for the first while as my eye had to work that much harder to focus. It ended up correcting itself to the point that I didn't require glasses for many years. There weren't any other options than patching back then and I wore the patch to school. I wear glasses again now. I looked into laser surgery but when I last asked you couldn't because it is a stigma that they can't correct through that form of surgery. I think my youngest many also have a lazy eye. I see signs when she is tired, etc.

Thank you so much for the information. The eye see eye learn program is only for children going into JK and our daughter is in first grade. We too caught it late, we just went in for a regular check up, and had no idea she couldn't see out of one eye. She reads at grade level and plays a ton of sports and there was no indication of any problems. I am happy to hear they are trying glasses alone first to see if there is improvement. There are about 8 doctors in town that are working with this Shaw lens no patch program and I am just trying to make an educated informed decision about what is best for her. If I can save her hours of frustration and emotional trauma with patching, then I feel obligated to at least try. I just never know what the right decision is, or if there is a right decision at all. Thank you so much for your reply.

Expert Forum User

I missed this thread! 2 of my 3 kids have amblyopia. We treated my son's with patching, glasses and surgery and my 3 year old daughter's with patching and surgery. We caught my daughter's early and we only had to patch her for 2 hours a day and for about a year before she had the surgery. She's being followed but at the moment it seems she's 'cured'. we have no need for any patching or glasses at all.

My son's however was a worse case. We had to do glasses (one of his lenses is at +6!) and significant patching. At one point he was patching for 11 hours a day (all but one waking hour). He adjusted very well though, to both the patching at the start and even the all day patching. He was only 3 at the time though. He had the surgery and now we are just patching an hour a day for maintenance and he wears the glasses. He is doing really well. His corrected vision in his one eye was 20/200, now it's 20/25.

I have no experience with shaw lenses or anything.

[/url]

Expert Forum User

My youngest was diagnosed around age 2. Started with bi-focal glasses and then and began patching around age 4. The patching ramped up from 2 hrs daily to 5 hrs daily over about a year and is now back down to maintenance at 1 hr every other day.

I really struggled with the patching. His weak eye was so poor that he really struggled to do anything with it on at first. Most of what I read online said it wouldn't really help. But I did find that there have been some pretty recent studies and research done and it's now felt that the eye can benefit from patching regardless of the age you start. And I did notice over time that it made some difference. There were days where he would put it on around 10 am and then forget until long after the "required" time. His ability to see out of only the weak eye got better and better.

As he grows (he is almost 9) the connections continue to develop between the brain and his "weak" eye. Not sure if the patching made the difference or simply the growing ... but he too went from 20/220 to 20/50. It's my understanding that in his case surgery won't help with the vision as it's not a physical issue per say but more how the brain registers which eye to use. There are so many reasons for the deviation ... knowing exactly why it's happening in your daugther's case may help you with your decisions.

And if you do end up doing the patching route - there are some pretty cool websites to order some pretty cool patches (we use the fabric ones ... the stick on kinds never seemed to stay put for us and hurt when they were coming off).

Hi - I'm curious to know if you ended up getting the Shaw lenses. My son has been patching for 2 years with some progress. But over the past while we seem to have stalled in terms of results. Plus he absolutely hates the patch and it's a battle every time he has to put it on. His Dr has suggested the Shaw lenses. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra cost of just a gimmic. Would love to know if you tried them and if so, what you think of them. Thanks!

Expert Forum User

My son patches. He's been wearing one since the summer. Our eye doctor said that 4 hrs a day is sufficient. We just saw him today again and he's had a significant improvement in his vision since we started patching. Hopefully he'll only have to do if for 3-4mths. I don't know anything about the lenses...patching has worked, is relatively inexpensive and for the most part he's cooperative.

Social Media Guru

I know nothing about SHAW lenses but I know a friend that has to patch both of her kids and they went back just recently and the doctor has noticed a difference!