Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Nipple Shield?

Expert Forum User

Default Nipple Shield?

What exactly is a nipple shield and what does it do? Does it help with a bad latch?
    DD's latch has GREAT suction, so great in fact that you really have to wedge your finger in there to break it, she does NOT just slip off like others have described their babies doing.
    She is seriously killing my boobs, they hurt so bad and she's only a day old! She won't take formula so I'm going to have to just deal with this, but are there ways to make it easier? Would a nipple shield be beneficial? Her mouth is just so tiny, she doesn't open it anywhere near as big as the midwife/nurses would like to see...

Are you using nipple cream? It was a miracle ointment for me. I used lansiol (sp?). Purple tube in the infants hygienic section at shoppers. I used it many times a day.

Expert Forum User

Yes I have enough tubes and packets of lansinoh to supply a bfing army, lol. I've been using it, but it doesn't solve the pinchy feeling I have during feedings... I'm certain it's a latch issue, but even when it's more tuggy-feeling, it's still pinchy when she feeds.

Maybe try a different position so your nipples get a break? You could try the football hold, laying down, on all fours? Or the breastfeeding clinics that run through the city. Sorry, I don't have experience with nipple shields. https://www.healthunit.com/well-baby...inics-schedule

Just hang with it. Your nips are getting calloused. It hurts at first, but it gets better

Expert Forum User

I've used a nipple shield with Natalie (in the sub-6lb days). Personally -- it was just annoying. I used it for about a day before I stopped.

Natalie also had great suction. It's okay to break her off with your pinky and start again if she's not got more then the nipple in there. The aim really is to shove as much areola in her mouth as possible. Don't let her slurp (no other way to describe it) the nipple in. Bring it to her with her mouth open (you've gotta be fast about it though).

Even with a good latch you'll likely feel some pain/discomfort for the first 20 second or so (at least I found it to be true). It goes away after a few weeks -- if the pain is any longer then that then relatch, try again.

I remember the nurse squeezing about mid breast (small boobs here) and just shoving it babies mouth. You don't want her on the tip of the ice burg.

Expert Forum User

I'm endowed in the breast department. DDs here, I almost feel like it would be easier if they were smaller though because I wouldn't have so much boob to work with lol.
    jennerama likes this.

My larger chested friend use to wrap a receiving blanket into a tube and put it under bed boob to elevate it. Maybe that would help with positioning?
    IsisBaily likes this.

It will get better! Ds had a bad latch at the beginning and it hurt so bad, within the week he started to get better and learned to take more nipple in his mouth. By two weeks I had no pain. There are breastfeeding/well baby clinics at the early years center. The ladies there are amazing at helping with a latch issue so if you have a chance had over there and get some help. Also try lying down on your side, it makes it easier because you dont have to hold baby so you can use both hands to manage boob. Also wanted to add that I never did compression with any of my kids, I just kind of let them at the breast and they did their own thing, it worked for us and that way I didnt have to fumble around trying to hold them and my breast.

Hope it gets better quickly for you, I dont know if you nursed M or not but if you can stick by the initial discomfort then breastfeeding is so so rewarding! You will soon look forward to the bonding once you dont have the pain. Give it a couple of weeks- remember S is learning how to nurse too!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I know I didn't succeed with breastfeeding but I remember someone saying to me there's a reason they call it breastfeeding, not nipplefeeding. They need as much of the aereola as possible, the nipple is where it comes out yes but their little jaws working the....glands? Iforget ... in the breast itself are what makes it come out. So try to open her mouth, even stick your finger to the side kinda like a horse's bit? and get her mouth on, not just lips. Good luck. Hope it works for you. And if it doesn't, don't let anyone guilt you.
    one ordinary girl likes this.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Have you tried different positions? DD1 killed my nipples with her latch initially. Once I switched to football with her she nursed much better.

It does hurt at first. They say it doesn't but it is normal for it to hurt but it shouldn't be blinding. Once you get latch figured out it might still hurt while your nipples heal
    I know a fabulous Scentsy consultant

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Can you get to a breast feeding cliic asap?
    https://www.healthunit.com/well-baby...eeding-clinics
    tough times don't last but tough people do

Get your midwife to prescribe All Purpose Nipple Ointment. It was the only thing that healed my nipples when dd2 had a bad latch. Thankfully it only lasted a couple weeks. That will help when they start to get chapped and painful. You don't really want to use a shield because she will get used to latching on to that and it isn't your nipple.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast