Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CMR78
  • 1 Post By NikkiJ

Thread: Tried and True Thanksgiving recipes?

Expert Forum User

Default Tried and True Thanksgiving recipes?

Share stuff with me. I'm missing home!

Do you have a way to make the perfect turkey? Secret ingredient to mashed turnips to make them palatable? Recipe for the world's best stuffing?

Post them here! I'm entertaining some british people for thanksgiving dinner so I'd like to impress. My cooking is usually not impressive....

I use something called a "look bag" to cook my turkey in.It's essentially a self-basting bag. I rub the turkey with butter or oil then pop it in the bag and it seriously comes out looking like a Martha Stewart ad.

Expert Forum User

I cook the turkey breast side down - it doesn't make for a "pretty" turkey (like what you see in a commercial), but the breast meat is SUPER juicey!!

I also do slow cooker stuffing. If you search on here, I'm sure you'll find it. Yum. O.

ETA: Found it for you, courtesy of the lovely Zoo and Pancake. Man, I miss them...Crockpot Stuffing

Damnit...I'd better make it to Thanksgiving supper this weekend! C'mon, baby...be born already!
    Last edited by CMR78; 10-08-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    KathyM likes this.

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
    Secret ingredient to mashed turnips to make them palatable? Recipe for the world's best stuffing?
    LOL- No one knows how to make turnips palatable - it's the "sock" smell - gets me every time.

Stuffing I can do however and it's super easy...
    1/2 onion and 2 stalks celery chopped and fried in butter.
    Add to about 1/4 loaf of torn bread
    Add about 2 tbsp of Chicken Seasoning (I make my own, but the store bought is fine).
    Salt and Pepper to taste.
    Increase or decrease quantites depending on the size of the bird and amount of people your feeding. The quantites above are OK for a very small turkey or meduim sized chicken.

Using tin foil lining stuff the turkey - make sure you add 20 minutes to your total cooking time for the stuffing and your good to go. I usually end up eating a lot of the stuffing before I even serve the bird.

I've done lots of other stuffings - one's with almonds and cranberries etc etc etc, but I always come back to my Grandmothers stuffing - the one you see above.

Expert Forum User

We do the turkey in our gas grill. Fab!

Expert Forum User

I wrap the turkey in a cozy bacon blanket. The turkey is happy as well as all who eats it. Turnip I love I add a bit of brow sugar. I do my stuffing in a crockpot and I add raisins I love raisins in my stuffing. Sometimes when I'm really going all out I will make my own cornbread and do a cornbread stuffing.
    Sunrise likes this.
    I'm

[/B]

Expert Forum User

I like stuffing inside the bird, and I always chop up 1/2 an apple to add to the stuffing. The apple makes it so nice and moist. I've never had dried up stuffing when I've added the apple.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

I always make a Brine for my bird... hands down its the BEST turkey you will EVER make! takes more preparation the day before, but so, so, so worth it! Cuts down on cook time too so watch your birds.. and the drippings make to-die-for gravy... here's the one I use Turkey Brine Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    Families are like fudge... mostly sweet with a few nuts.
    -- Author Unknown