Question Dd is getting hives

Dd is almost 17 months old and for the last 24 hours been getting hives. It started yesterday at my MIL house. When dd woke up from her nap my MIL noticed her cheeks were red so my MIL a retired nurse stripped dd and found hives on her back. She knew I was going to be their soon so she wasn't worried. I went to the drug store and got benadryl and the pharmasist said they didn't look to bad. We gave dd a bath a bedtime and noticed her back looked better but she had some hives on her legs now. This morning the ones on her back were gone but she had some on her butt and at nap time I found one on her shoulder. Dd has been fine every other way. They don't seem to be bothering her at all.

Nothing is new to her. No new foods, soaps, clothes or diapers. I called telehealth and she said as long as they don't get worse and there is no swelling or breathing issues to follow up with the family doctor on Monday. I am at a loss as to what could be causing this. Any one have any thoughts on what could be causing this?

The only thought we had was yesterday she ate a scrambled egg for lunch. She has had a ton of foods with eggs in it but not a lot of straight eggs. Coyld hives continue for more then 24 hours after eating them? There are no food allergies in our family.
    Proud mom to ds born Sept. 2009 and dd born May 2012

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

hives can also be due to a virus.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

I get hives on a daily basis..to me hives are an allergic reaction to something. maybe a soap or laundry detergent that was different at grandmas house that shes never been exposed to..

Quote Originally Posted by one ordinary girl View Post
    hives can also be due to a virus.
    Maybe that is it. Dd has spent a ton of time at grandma house. She is there 2 days a week. She just woke from her nap with more including a couple on her face. I wish I knew what was causing this.

Default update

So day 4 of hives and they aren't getting better. Our family doc thinks it is some kind of allergy, not a virus. We are being reffered to a peditrican but if it is food I don't know where to start. She hasn't had any new foods. I might start with eggs and strawberries and go from there since she has eaten both in the last fee days. I hate the idea of her having to go through a bunch of tests.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

hopefully you get some answers soon
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

as a baby i was allergic to laundry soaps (especially tide, couldnt touch any clothes washed in it or i would break out in hives) plastic diapers (had to have cloth diapers) any clothes other than 100% cotton, and including my socks had to be white and white only. Most soaps i was allergic to as well..my poor mother.... start out by what laundry detergent does she use? what kind of fabrics is she around?

We have been using the same soaps since she was born. Both dh and I have sensitive skin to soaps and detergents

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    We have been using the same soaps since she was born. Both dh and I have sensitive skin to soaps and detergents
    \

but if she is napping etc? at your mil's place, maybe it is what she is using as per detergents? like the blankets? i hope you find out what it is!

Quote Originally Posted by mendala View Post
    \

but if she is napping etc? at your mil's place, maybe it is what she is using as per detergents? like the blankets? i hope you find out what it is!
    She does nap there but she is there twice a week. I don't think they changed detergents but it can't hurt to ask. I know it can be so hard to figure this out. Dh had hives for months before we figured out it was the dryer sheets causing them.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

It very well could be the laundry detergent your MIL is using, especially if she has recently changed brands. I am highly allergic to Tide, as well as other kinds. I can only use the sensitive kind for babies, even to this day & I am 40 years old.
    Good luck figuring it out. Allergies suck, as do hives I suffer from both of these things on a regular basis.

We saw a pedictrician and he said it was a virus. They went away after a week so I hope he his right.

dd2 had hives start last Sunday and we took her to the Dr on Monday afternoon because they were getting worse. He said give benadryl for a week and then stop and if they come back we would have to send her for allergy testing. Also no changes that we were aware of (except she also stayed at grandma's but she's done that before too).

Talking with a friend - his son also had the same thing show up shortly after my dd (and they have not been around eachother).

Just looking at the date you posted - it seems really weird...her's started around the same time as your child.

dd2 had hives start last Sunday and we took her to the Dr on Monday afternoon because they were getting worse. He said give benadryl for a week and then stop and if they come back we would have to send her for allergy testing. Also no changes that we were aware of (except she also stayed at grandma's but she's done that before too).

Talking with a friend - his son also had the same thing show up shortly after my dd (and they have not been around eachother).

Just looking at the date you posted - it seems really weird...her's started around the same time as your child.

glad to hear it went away! hope my ds goes away soon too!
    Last edited by southerngal; 10-23-2013 at 11:47 AM.