Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best month for having a baby? Opinions

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by my2babies View Post
    Summer is easier for birthdays but the winter was nice because we got to hibernate and not stress about baby weight.
    I agree with this. We have a May, July and January and January was nice because we didn't feel the need to go anywhere for the first few weeks.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

My son was born in late July and it was a brutally hot summer! We also had no A/C. I was hoping for a spring baby next time but we are not pregnant yet, and hoping to be as soon as possible. I think spring would be the best time - maybe March or April. Warmer months are nice for outdoor celebrations though

I would say any month is a good month.....

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I had 3: First was August, then a May baby, then a November baby.

August - it was a pretty hot summer (the summer of the blackout actually) and she was born on the 18th so I had a tough summer with the heat. Luckily though, she was my first so there were no other kidlets to schlep around.

May - mid-may actually. Weather was really hot by then. A month earlier (mid april) would have been ideal. By mid/end May we were already into the really hot season and I had an almost 3yr old. But, it was nice to be able to let the older one out in the backyard and kiddie pool and I could just sit with the baby under the shade or lay her on a blanket under a beach umbrella. The worst part was nursing in the brutal heat of summer. I was pregnant through the cold months and if she'd been born a month earlier I likely could have got away with all cold-season maternity clothes. I ended up needing warm season stuff.

November - I LOVED having a Nov baby as it was so delicious to snuggle with him as the snow fell and the joy of the season was coming on (he was Mid November and we had snow by then that year, though it did melt a few weeks later). By summer he was sort of crawling around and was super adorable. The biggest problem was dealing with older kids and snowsuits, school dropoffs etc. If he'd been my first, it would have been perfection as we'd likely have hibernated, and ventured out for Christmas Shopping etc.

I think Birth Order definitely comes into play just as much as the season.

Overall I think March/April would be perfect.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

I have an April and August. April was good as the summer weather is nice to walk them in a stroller thru fall. Finding a winter coat at 6 months pregnant that does up is a pain. Birthday parties always have to be planned indoors. August was great to bring baby home and be able to be outside right away, but birthday parties at school age means many miss your summer parties, and rain storm means bringing the party indoors unexpectedly. We tried doing the party in Sept when everyone was back, but many others do that and people ended up picking whose party to go to....so, that's the downside. It is hard to hid a bike for an August birthday, but a great gift for an April birthday. I'm the beginning of January and that's a crappy time to have a birthday!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by IsisBaily View Post
    My first was December, I loved having him that month despite Christmas rush. Him being so tiny gave me an excuse to hibernate and keep him indoors away from the sick people and by summer he was already 6 months old and ready to explore more of the world around him.

My second was July, I don't really have an opinion about having a baby that month.

My third is due mid-October, I don't have an opinion about that month for babies yet
    I'd like to change my initial answer.

#1. December, like I said, was great because it gave me a reason to stay inside.
    #2. July - I think that would have been a really nice month as well because it would be warm enough that if we just wanted to go for a walk, we could have.
    #3 - October, loved it! She'd go with me while I walked the dog and it wasn't too cold, no nasty snow to fight with, and she'll be able to enjoy summer because she'll be moving around for it.

Overall, I think I like my "later" babies birth months better. They're on the go by spring/summer and going outside is an option.

I think it depends on how your life revolves. Dh is crazy busy in the spring for work (landscaping), so our first was an April baby and it was fine because she was our first and it didn't matter. I think dh was conflicted though and felt he was missing out. I also like that she was still small enough during summer so I could hang out at a friends pool and she tended to nap in the shade the whole time. Our second was October and much better because even though dh snow plows he is home a lot during the day.

Expert Forum User

I had mine in April and it was great. Didnt get sweaty pregnant in the winter, and by the time she was over the whole 24/7 nursing, it was summer and we could go for walks

Ds was born end of May and we loved it, although it was a hot summer that year and it was too hot to enjoy the outdoors with such a young infant. It's been great for birthday parties, enjoyed most of them in the garden. Like someone mentioned, he was given a lot of summer toys with all summer to enjoy them. Also, having christmas and Ds birthday roughly 6 month apart is great in terms of finances.
    Negative? Having to go back to work beginning of the summer...
    My friend who had a September baby liked it a lot and didn't find summer being pregnant that hard since she works in an office, plus she loved the following summer off with a 10-12 month old!
    I'm hoping for a fall baby next but we'll see

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12