Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best month for having a baby? Opinions

Default Best month for having a baby? Opinions

Which month of the year did you have your baby? Which month did you enjoy having a baby born? What were the positive aspects of having a baby born in a specific month? Interested to hear other's experiences!

I like months that are nice to have birthday parties in the backyard. I have summer babies. I think beginning of June would be good. Just starting to warm up. Then you could make better use of summer toys. Like a bike for their birthday, they then have the whole summer to enjoy it.

Any month is a great month to have a baby!
    My first was late July, so I had to endure the terrible heat at the end. It is tricky sometimes for birthdays because of vacations.
    My second was born in Feb., luckily not during a snowstorm. She's only two, so we haven't gotten into the birthday party issues yet, except that she's a Valentine's baby, so we end up going out on a different night for V day....so it's all about her on her birthday!

I had my son in July. I do not recommend babies in summer if you can help it. I want a spring baby next... that way I can be huge and pregnant in the cold months.
    Kelly & Owen

I have 2 kids in September and 1 in March. Both had their positives and negatives. I would say for September, back to school is a huge interference with planning parties, costs (back to school supplies / clothes, plus a party, plus presents etc. it gets expensive). It's hard to plan a party especially if the birthday is at the beginning of the month, handing out invites to their friends is tricky over the summer.

From a pregnancy point of view, I was lucky the summer that I was pregnant with DD1 it was a cool summer like this one, so heat wasn't bad at all. With DD3, the summer was warmer but luckily for me I like it hot! Overall though being pregnant over the hotter months is harder on you. Plus if you happen to have a baby in the middle of a heat wave, it can get hot if you are in a place w/o AC and have to hold, feed the baby. Finally, when having a baby in September, the weather is still pretty nice but you may not feel 100% for a couple months (like me I had c-sections) so just as you start to feel better and want to get out and about, the weather turns cold.

My March baby pregnancy was pretty great. I was warm and toasty through the winter with the built in oven. The only thing is my winter coat didn't fit so well towards the end . There had been a big snow storm just before I had DD2 but luckily the roads were ok for our trip into London. The only thing with having a March baby (I am one too), a lot of people go away in March so trying to organize a party with friends is also tricky. I usually have to find something indoors as well for DD2 and her friends so that is kind of a drawback of having a March (or even a Winter baby).

I don't think there is a perfect month for having a baby, every month has its positives and negatives. If I could pick a month though, I would pick either May or June.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I've had May, September and late October. The hardest was the May baby. Since you can't put sunblock on a baby, summer babies should really only be first babies lol. If you have siblings, it's hard to take them to parks, splahspads, beaches without being able to sunblock the baby. It's very hard to find shade, or avoid peak sun times with a baby all summer. Also, I find it is easier to keep baby warm (dress in layers, carry spare blankets, etc) than it is to keep them cool. And it's a great excuse to keep them in adorable cozy cuddly sleepers until spring By the time spring/summer rolled around, my fall/winter babies were able to sit in a baby swing at the park, or enjoy sitting in a puddle at the splashpad or slide down a slide in sibling's lap. It's handy having one kid's birthday farther from the other two and Christmas, but I definitely found May being more challenging than Sept/Oct.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Quote Originally Posted by OwensMom View Post
    I had my son in July. I do not recommend babies in summer if you can help it. I want a spring baby next... that way I can be huge and pregnant in the cold months.
    Did you have a midwife or OB? I'm trying to get other womens experience about how difficult it is to get midwife for summer baby.

Expert Forum User

I had a July and August. You'd think it would be good for birthdays, but everyone is away on vacation and it is hard to get invites out.

And yeah - no AC in my car for either pregancy, no AC at work (and add like 10c for 30-65 computers and servers running in he room I am in). Thank goodness for slurpees.

March was my favorite. The one downside was that everyone instantly knew bc I didn't drink all summer, which is weird at BBQs and weddings. But, I wasn't big until sweater season, so I could hide how gross I felt. Had her in mid-March, so had 3mos to hibernate in mat clothes before having to go out in public showing skin, but by then I wanted out and spent all summer walking with her. 9mos old at Christmas was adorable.

Expert Forum User

My first was December, I loved having him that month despite Christmas rush. Him being so tiny gave me an excuse to hibernate and keep him indoors away from the sick people and by summer he was already 6 months old and ready to explore more of the world around him.

My second was July, I don't really have an opinion about having a baby that month.

My third is due mid-October, I don't have an opinion about that month for babies yet

Expert Forum User

Anytime of year is great to have a baby!!

I have a June and April baby, and both months were great. I only bought one pair of mat shorts, and that got me through until mid June.
    The weather is starting to get nicer and going out is easier that time of year (not snowsuits etc). For birthday gifts they have received new bikes, and other summer items to keep them busy.

The hardest part during both pregnancies was being extra careful when walking on icy patches.

I found it comfortable to wear nursing tank tops during the hot summer days. When winter came around they were still small enough for the infant car seat. Christmas time was cute, at 6 mths just learning to sit up, and 8 mths is smiling a lot and sitting up, but not walking or getting into things.
    a_bun_in_the_oven likes this.
    DS June 2007
    DD April 2010

"No influence is so powerful as that of the mother."- Sarah Josepha Hale

We have August and September. I like the end of summer because the next year I have an almost 1 year old on vacation so that makes it a little nicer (we would go on vacation before I had the babies). Summer it's hard to get kids together for birthdays and since it's August you can't really do the buy them a new bike because they won't be able to use it long. I really like having Aug/Sept kids - my difficulty is that all of them have their b-days within 1 month (I have 4 kids) and my b-day is in there too (I don't care about mine but my in-laws sometimes ask about coming over for it)....so it just make for a really busy time.

Summer is easier for birthdays but the winter was nice because we got to hibernate and not stress about baby weight.

I have a late august and middle of November. August is nice because it's good for outdoor birthdays, baby is old enough by the next summer to enjoy vacation, enjoy the beach and splashpads ect. The downfall is the heat when you are pregnant!
    My November baby was better, they are small enough over the winter you can just hibernate at home and lose the baby weight, they fit in their infant carseat so it's easy to bundle, and by the time spring comes they can enjoy the walks and outdoors! Pregnancy was easier too, not too hot as ur not too big over the summer, Summer mat clothes are less$$ though....

I have a late august and middle of November. August is nice because it's good for outdoor birthdays, baby is old enough by the next summer to enjoy vacation, enjoy the beach and splashpads ect. The downfall is the heat when you are pregnant!
    My November baby was better, they are small enough over the winter you can just hibernate at home and lose the baby weight, they fit in their infant carseat so it's easy to bundle, and by the time spring comes they can enjoy the walks and outdoors! Pregnancy was easier too, not too hot as ur not too big over the summer, Summer mat clothes are less$$ though....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast