Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dexter6
  • 1 Post By a_bun_in_the_oven

Thread: Byron Southwood Public school

Default Byron Southwood Public school

thinking of sending our daughter to Byron Southwood. Has anybody heard anything about the school? good/bad

My daughter goes there. She's in the intermediate grades now and has been going there since grade three. Opinions are just that and everyone will have their own but you will probably hear mostly good things about Byron Southwood as well as all Byron schools. My daughter has missed less than 2 days of school in more than three years because she loves going so much so if this is any indication ....
    elvira likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter6 View Post
    My daughter goes there. She's in the intermediate grades now and has been going there since grade three. Opinions are just that and everyone will have their own but you will probably hear mostly good things about Byron Southwood as well as all Byron schools. My daughter has missed less than 2 days of school in more than three years because she loves going so much so if this is any indication ....
    It's super close to where we live, so it would make sense to choose that school.

Yes, but like everyone has mentioned in other threads, you don't get to choose your school and sometimes the closer school isn't the one you are zoned for. I'm sure you have looked into this already but just in case you haven't, you can choose between French Immersion, Catholic (if you are Catholic), and Public, but you can't choose between public and public if you happen to be zoned for Byron Somerset instead of Byron Southwood (for example). You can look this up or if you are not sure, just tell me where you live and I will tell you where your child is most likely to be placed. Either way, you're good because Somerset is an excellent school too!

Expert Forum User

We go to this school. DD1 is in grade 1 now I have nothing negative to say. Great communication home, no issues with any of the teachers/staff. Parents are very involved. Decided to keep her there rather then busing her to FI halfway across the city.

Edulog WebQuery

That will tell you which schools you are zoned for and if you are eligible for bus service.
    elvira likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter6 View Post
    Yes, but like everyone has mentioned in other threads, you don't get to choose your school and sometimes the closer school isn't the one you are zoned for. I'm sure you have looked into this already but just in case you haven't, you can choose between French Immersion, Catholic (if you are Catholic), and Public, but you can't choose between public and public if you happen to be zoned for Byron Somerset instead of Byron Southwood (for example). You can look this up or if you are not sure, just tell me where you live and I will tell you where your child is most likely to be placed. Either way, you're good because Somerset is an excellent school too!
    yes. I know about the school boundaries. I am pretty sure that's the school. I google the boundary map, it covers my street in the shaded areas. BUT in case if I have a question I will pm you. Thank you I have nothing against the other schools lol

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    We go to this school. DD1 is in grade 1 now I have nothing negative to say. Great communication home, no issues with any of the teachers/staff. Parents are very involved. Decided to keep her there rather then busing her to FI halfway across the city.

Edulog WebQuery

That will tell you which schools you are zoned for and if you are eligible for bus service.
    not eligible for the bus service

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by elvira View Post
    not eligible for the bus service
    Then you must be closer then we are