Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Parent Teacher Council

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Parent Teacher Council

Is anyone on their schools PTA or whatever your school calls it? What made you join, what do you do on it, how much of a commitment is it?

Expert Forum User

I go to the PTA meetings. I don't hold a position but I have helped with the planning of the fun fair, read-a-thon, fundraising, etc. It is one night a month for us to meet and they stick to the 2 hour allotted time. They end the meeting right on time generally. It isn't a huge commitment at our school. I just went to the school for 30 minutes to help another Mom change our school sign. I like to be informed. Our Principal and Vice Principal generally show up to meetings so we hear updates, etc.

No. I went to a few meetings last year. I feel guilty for not being on it, or at least going to the meetings, and plan on getting more involved after this baby comes.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I also go to the meetings and help out when I can. I do not hold a formal position but have voting rights.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Expert Forum User

I've gone to a few meetings - but have managed to avoid having to sit on the council itself through a series of evasive moves ninjas could be proud of.
    Really, I just don't have time for any more commitments so I attend when I can - and when I can't I read the minutes.
    SpringChicks likes this.

I am! We meet once a month for a couple of hours in the evening. I also do a ton during the day for the parent council because I'm the only one who doesn't work full-time outside the home - and because I LOVE it.

Expert Forum User

I am. I very much enjoy being involved and contributing to the well-being of our kid's school.

We meet once/month usually in the evening usually for about 1.5 hours. Outside of that, it's up to me what I volunteer to help with and what I don't.....

This is our first year (first day actually) at school but I won't be doing it. I'm currently on the board of DS2s preschool so I'm already committed to that. When he goes to "big school" I will probably go to meetings and participate as much as I can but I don't know if I will hold an official position

Expert Forum User

I am too! I have been going to meetings since my oldest was in SK, so I'm into my 5th year. Last year I was the treasurer and will probably do that job again (not a lot happens at our school so it isn't a big commitment). I help with whatever I can, whenever I can. We meet once a month for about 1 hour.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I used to be on ours. I was the secretary for 2 yrs. I ended up giving it up when it conflicted with my kids activities and after asking if we could change the time by 30 mins or even the night and was told. "We're doing fine without you" I quit. I was pretty upset about that comment. Ours are between 1-2 hrs. The chairman does his best to stick to the 1 hr time limit. They meet once a month. You kind of help make decisions for where funds go ( at our school anyway cause both the School COuncil and Parents Association are one) They are supposed to set up events to get parents involved in the school. We've had info nights, quest speakers and luau's etc..
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

I was on it at our old school - I was treasurer - I joined because I wanted to be more informed about what was going on at the school and to have some say in things. When we changed schools I went to a few meetings was dissed by the clique, my old chair who was then district chair mentioned to the chair at the new school that she was missing out on a huge resource in me (since I worked with her and she worked at district I had learned a lot of valuable info that principals generally do not offer up = not that parents council can't know) and I was still dissed. Also the principal was not following the rules that he was supposed to particularly about transparency, I stood up to him and no one would back me - decided I had better places to spend my time. So no longer on council

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I am! We meet once a month for a couple of hours in the evening. I also do a ton during the day for the parent council because I'm the only one who doesn't work full-time outside the home - and because I LOVE it.
    This! Only I work. I love being involved at the school. I was treasurer last year and will be stepping into the chair position this year.

We hear lots of updates as well.

I also organize our monthly pizza lunch at my kids school as well.
    Last edited by Jodi; 09-05-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Expert Forum User

The first couple years I didn't hold a position but did last year simply because our school's parents kinda suck and there wasn't even enough people at the meeting to cover all the positions! I would think at a school of 500 kids that more then 4 or 5 parents could show up to the monthly meetings. And I haven't been able to make it to every meeting, they are very flexible and even offer free child care if you need it and about half the time someone does have their kids. Meetings are from 6:30-8 and are pretty well on time now (they didn't used to be with the old chair and principal).
    I like to know what is going on in the school and why. I also volunteer with special activity days, etc.

Expert Forum User

I actually started the Home and School for our school...so president for a year and ran the pizza lunches twice a month for two years. I am now just an active member with no official position but help out with everything I can.
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Expert Forum User

I did when I was on mat leave. I didn't hold a position though and I felt a little odd being there with only my SK kid in the school. Many of the issues didn't pertain to us in particular but I liked being aware of what was going on and having some insight into how and why decisions were made. It made me feel a part of the school community. Next year when both kids are both at the same school, I plan to go back. It's tough with my work schedule to be able to attend but I'm hoping I'll be able to work something out. Eventually I'd love to hold a position on the council. They meet once a month in the evening for an hour or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast