Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Vaccine Court Awards Millions to Two Children With Autism

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

IMO the reason the mmr vaccine gets a bad rap is because of the age it's given at.
    You can really start to notice differences in development in children at this stage/age and its easy to say oh, it's that damn mmr's fault.
    WateryTart likes this.

That's possible Leigh.

See these charts always really make me think. If there is any validity to them then disease was obviously on the decline before vaccination.

(I'll have to find one that is not on a site because CB took that as me endorsing the site even though I stated I was pointing out the charts and that I stated I had not read it). I'm not out to offend anyone.

I think with sanitation and improved hygiene, it also was a big part in the decline of disease.

Also I came across Leicester Sanitation vs vaccination. It talks about in the same country how Leicester did not vaccinate but also upped their hygiene as all the other areas were and their rate of disease going down was comparable.

So that makes me think. Then things like Rubella, why not have that optional? like why all three at once. If you look at the statistics then there was one case of Rubella in 2011 in Canada.

I do see both sides of this issue, I really do but I would also like to see info on the pro side showing that disease actually was not on decline as much as it shows in those charts.
    Last edited by my2babies; 09-04-2013 at 02:22 AM.

I have to disclaimer I don't know what that site is about (all the content on it) and I can't say I agree with all of it either as I have not read the full site, just I've seen similar charts before. I would like for others to show their own charts. That's just a quick reference rather then try to explain what I mean by the charts.
    Last edited by my2babies; 09-04-2013 at 12:15 AM.

Expert Forum User

Why do you keep posting stuff if you don't know what its about or don't know if you agree with? The site you linked to is rabidly anti-vax, not just "child safety!". On the site children are "pin cushion profit centers" and "vaccines cause autism". Why would I trust data from someone who dismisses the bulk of all studies don't on an autism-vaccine link?

I think anyone who twists evidence around to claim that vaccines weren't directly responsible for the reduction of disease is giving equal credence to quacks and pseudo-science that they are to actual medical evidence and statistics. Since its just after 10am and I've got stuff to do, I'm not going to bother finding anything other than wiki at the moment:

Take a look at polio... "In the U.S, following a mass immunization campaign promoted by the March of Dimes, the annual number of polio cases fell from 35,000 in 1953 to 5,600 by 1957. By 1961 only 161 cases were recorded in the United States." That's not better soap or cleaner water, that's an effective method of controlling disease. Now, 1 out of 750,000 vaccinations lead to the person actually getting polio from the vaccine. Does that mean the vaccine isn't safe? Does that mean we should stop vaccination because of the risk that a minute number of individuals will react badly? No. Just like the encephalitis case you linked to, its a rare and unfortunate reaction. The benefits to society as a whole from vaccinations are greater than the risks injury from vaccines.

"By 2004, cases of poliomyelitis in Africa had been reduced to just a small number of isolated regions in the western portion of the continent, with sporadic cases elsewhere. However, recent opposition to vaccination campaigns has evolved, often relating to fears that the vaccine might induce sterility. The disease has since resurged in Nigeria and in several other African nations, which epidemiologists believe is due to refusals by certain local populations to allow their children to receive the polio vaccine."

Take a look at measles: Texas Megachurch At Center Of Measles Outbreak | Minnesota Public Radio News
    Maybe those texans just didn't wash behind the ears or maybe they were all drinking from the same contaminated church well. This church was preaching the same autism-vaccine bs. The only reason the anti-vax crowd around these parts isn't getting sick(er) is because of herd immunity. This church had enough non-vaxers that it lost its herd immunity.

Measles and other diseases are on the rise and their rise directly relates to the rise of the anti-vax movement and are seen most among non-vaxed populations.

My disclaimer explained why I posted it. Because there are charts out there showing the rate of decline. That site I specified it was just to show an example of the charts. Dissect it all you want, I specifically stated I hadn't read the site but rather then say charts, it at least gives people an idea of what I am talking about. You of all people should understand someone who has questions and why one might do a quick link with a disclaimer because you also have a disclaimer about wiki as your reference.

I have always said that I see the merit of vaccines. I think it's great to post pro articles, and I think that the article about Texas was good on the pro side.

PHI: Incidence Rates of Poliomyelitis in US I agree there was an obvious decrease.

Often in legal battles settlements are made in order to stop just put an end to the legal process as it can go on for years and be very expensive. Sometimes it is cheaper to pay out a settlement rather than continue to pay legal costs.
    Jenny McCarthy's son, as she discovered, doesn't actually have Autism, and know longer preaches that vaccines cause autism. As a public figure who influences others, she should be making a big apology.

New Report Says: Jenny McCarthy's Son May Not Have Had Autism After All - Hollywood Life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12