Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Plugged duct? HELP

Expert Forum User

Default Plugged duct? HELP

I am pretty sure I have a plugged duct, it started last night after DS nursed there was still a hard spot that hadn't drained, he had been eating every hour since about 4pm and everything was fine and then all of a sudden the one side didn't seem to drain. It seems to have gotten even worse and the whole one side is rock hard into my arm pit, I have been starting him on that side which hurts so much I can barely stand it, and then he gets mad when there isn't anything coming out and starts punching me and of course that hurts even more.

What can I do to fix it? I am desperate it hurts to just move my arm. I have been trying to pump unsuccessfully from that side (normally I can get 3-4ounces) I have been using one of the "click" heating pad things but nothing seems to be working. Now my other nipple is in bad shape from he continuous nursing yesterday and all day today, Normally he just nurses from the one side not both. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this and fix it fast? Will I know immediately when it is fixed? Please tell me there is relief coming.

Expert Forum User

Try nursing him on all fours on that side....... if you start running a fever, you're going to need to seek medical attention.

You could also try nursing him in a tub of the warmest water you can both stand....... and drink, drink, drink until you think you're going to float away......

Sorry that's all that comes to mind right now....... mastitis is NO fun for momma or baby!
    planejane likes this.

Expert Forum User

Massage it until you want to die. Thats what I did. If theres a white dot on your nipple, pop it with a sterile needle. I agree with the all fours suggestion, but close your blinds!
    planejane likes this.

Hot compresses and breast compressions cleared mine in 24 hours or so... but by the sound of it yours might be more extreme.

I found that once I had one, I was more prone to getting them in that breast, so just keep that in mind going forward.

This link may be helpful, if you haven't seen it already: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

Last edited by Jomo; 08-29-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Expert Forum User

I ended up going in to the Dr it is mastitis so I have antibiotics, I have never been in so much pain wow.

Expert Forum User

Ooh no! I hope it clears up soon. Can you still nurse?
    planejane likes this.

Oh no! Feel better soon. I've never had mastitis so I can only try to imagine your pain.

Expert Forum User

Oh man........ sorry it got that far advanced! Like someone else already said, now that you've had it there, you'll be especially prone to it in that area. Just be aware of that....... are you using a bra with wire support? That's a big no-no to avoid mastitis.
    planejane likes this.

Expert Forum User

I think it was the bra I was wearing, it did have an underwire, I am going bra shopping today. Since starting the antibiotics and taking the advil nursing doesn't hurt as much, and yesterday night I was able to get it unblocked.
    Mammie and doda94 like this.

I love the Bravado nursing bras (Cheeky Monkey sells them, not sure where else). Not cheap, but comfy.
    planejane likes this.

I was coming on here to ask the exact same question. I have a hard spot under my breast that just wont drain. it started last night and it feels more and more tender as the day goes on. Just took off my underwire bra and put on my comfy bra, drinking lots, trying to massage it. Should I pump too? My son is over 4 months and this is a first for me.

Expert Forum User

Nursing will be more effective than pumping...... just drink as much as possible and nurse him as long as he will stay on.........

Expert Forum User

I started him on that side first at every feed, and still pumped after he was done eating, also warm compress just before nursing and since it hurt so much I used cold packs after. I also drank water until I felt like I was floating.

Compressing the affected breast while nursing got rid of mine in minutes every time. See Dr. Newman's website for more tips.

Expert Forum User

I am still on the antibioticcs, but it got plugged again last night, I think because DS has started sleeping 4hrs then 5 so he is no longer nursing every 2-3hrs. I got it unplugged, but I am thinking I am going to have to get up to pump the one time he gets up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast