• 1 Post By my2babies
  • 1 Post By Nemo
  • 1 Post By ChinUp
  • 1 Post By my2babies
  • 2 Post By my2babies
  • 1 Post By Annie

Thread: Just a few questions!

Default Just a few questions!

Hi everyone! I'm looking into possibly homeschooling J. He's 3 as of now so I do have a bit of time to make my decision. I just need to figure out if it's right for him.

First question: What is the difference between homeschooling and unschooling? I've never heard of unschooling until now.

2nd: In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of homeschooling?

3rd: Is there a guideline/curriculum I need to follow?

4th: I'm no longer in London. I'm in Waterford (Simcoe) so where would I find the workbooks he needs?

I'm just not impressed with the schools anymore. There's way too many things going on. The latest thing to throw me off is the "fat letters" being sent home. (I'm not getting into a discussion about it here, I just don't feel it's right.) The only reason I am thinking about putting him into a school is the social aspect. Aside from myself and our family, he doesn't know anybody. I want him to make new friends his age.

What's a "fat letter"? No need to discuss it, but could you define it for me?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Unschooling is following your childs lead and not really having a set out curriculum.

PRO: your own schedule, if your child is a night hawk you can work with that
    no more rushed am
    you set the rules , there is no you have to learn this by this day

CON: you are always together and that gets old fast

3rd: Is there a guideline/curriculum I need to follow?

No, there is nothing you need to follow all you need to do is "provide satisfactory instruction"

4th: I'm no longer in London. I'm in Waterford (Simcoe) so where would I find the workbooks he needs?

he does not need work books, you can print stuff online , make your own sheets up. if you do want a work book I like the Canadian curriculum ones from chapters.

I love homeschooling D its the best thing ever

we do math when we shop and cover other topics as interest arises.

She learns geography by talking to people and learning where they are from and then marking it on our map, right now she is working on Canadian geography on a deal with Mrs.Davis that she will get a globe when she learns it all.

socially she visits my friends, kids in the neighborhood and other places IME she learned more bad stuff at school than good so its worth it.
    pink-lily and momx2 like this.

1. Unschooling is not following a curriculum. It is child led learning. So for ex. Math can be taught through baking, measuring around the house, counting money in games. We unschooled for a while. I do believe in the philosophy.
    Homeschooling is teaching them with curriculum. Homeschooling takes many shapes and forms. It all depends on your family and your goals. Some families sit at a table and do school at home. Some families put different curriculum together. Some families buy a set box and do it that way.
    2. Pro's and Con's. Cons could be maybe not having as much time to yourself? To be honest, I personally do not have a con. There are some but they don't apply so I will let others answer that. Pros are them being home with me. They get a more thorough education. One on one time. No school influences. We mostly do it for the social reasons. We go to a lot of outings and social get togethers. Flexibility. I love it in the morning when I am having my coffee in the winter and the bus stops to pick up kids and mine are nestled warmly still in their beds. I don't know why but it gives me a cozy feeling.
    3. There is no guideline in Ontario. The law is that you teach your child satisfactorily. That is it. You can unschool or you could follow the school curriculum. So much to choose from out there!
    4. Before you go out and buy curriculum, research! Figure out how you want to school him first. They don't legally have to be taught until the age of 6 so you have time.
    We use a Charlotte Mason approach. Most subjects are taught through literature. So for history it is reading good novels about history. They are living books. Not text books. For math we use Right Start. My kids love it. There are just so much to choose from! Give yourself some time to look some things over online. Find out what your goals are in teaching at home and go from there. It can be overwhelming in the beginning but you find your groove and don't look back.
    momx2 likes this.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I believe she is referring to the schools that do BMI testing and send letters home to the kids who are 'obese'. I believe this is just in the US but I read that some Toronto schools are going to start BMI tests as well.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Quote Originally Posted by Happily Ever After View Post
    I believe she is referring to the schools that do BMI testing and send letters home to the kids who are 'obese'. I believe this is just in the US but I read that some Toronto schools are going to start BMI tests as well.
    Yupp this is it! I've heard that TVDSB is talking about doing the same thing.

I read in the paper this week that they are not going to do that, or have no plans as of now anyway. (Just in case you missed that article. It was in the one paper you get with the flyers).

First question: What is the difference between homeschooling and unschooling? I've never heard of unschooling until now. I homeschool and I do curriculum like they do in schools for all the regular subjects. I think unschooling can really vary from learning from life activities to doing books but as your child is interested in them. I know there is a lot of good books on it. I do tweak their schooling to things they are interested in though aside from the books we do. I think every parent unschools to a degree even if their kids are in the school system. We're all our child's first teacher and it's just natural to always be teaching our kids IMO.

2nd: In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of homeschooling? Where to begin? Pros first...tons.

School is for so many hours of the day. Why inflict that on your kid? they learn so much faster and get so much more done on a one parent couple kids vs teacher and whole class. We are done sooner and we get to do many fun things aside from the books.

I feel you get to know your kids in a way you wouldn't if you didn't spend so much time with them.

I like being able to tweak their school to them. If they are advanced they aren't held back by the class and if they are struggling with something you can keep working on it, until they get it solidly.

You get to have more of an input on who their friends are. I feel very in touch with who their friends are because not only do I know them but I also know their at least moms well. (Sometimes Dads).

I don't co-parent with a teacher. The reality is during the school year kids are with which ever teacher they get. They are with them for more hours in the week then they are with their own parent. They grow up so fast. I'm so happy I haven't had to miss that many hours of them being little. There's something like 194 school days a year times 6 plus hours a day.. that adds up to a crazy amount of time.

There are tons of HS groups. To find one that works for you is a nice addition to HS. My kids love our group and have met many really good friends there.

I love it. There are the little things too. It's a lot more cozier to get up and not have to rush out. Sick days if we have them are no biggie. No last minute scrambling to make adjustments.

Cons - If you are not good about getting out and taking care of yourself, you have to learn to because it can also get exhausting to be with the kids 24/7 for the most part. You need to make "you" a priority.

-sometimes the kids get on each other, so it's important IME with my kids to split them up when I can. If they have friends in the same family, we have traded kids for the day.

3rd: Is there a guideline/curriculum I need to follow? No but I always buy books to their grade level and try to make sure they are where they should be, if not ahead.

4th: I'm no longer in London. I'm in Waterford (Simcoe) so where would I find the workbooks he needs? I find a lot of my stuff online. You learn a lot from other more seasoned homeschooling families who have btdt and been successful as in their child did enter back into the school system or went on to collage/University with no real issues.

I'm just not impressed with the schools anymore. There's way too many things going on. The latest thing to throw me off is the "fat letters" being sent home. (I'm not getting into a discussion about it here, I just don't feel it's right.) The only reason I am thinking about putting him into a school is the social aspect. Aside from myself and our family, he doesn't know anybody. I want him to make new friends his age. The social aspect I love about homeschooling. There is no shortage of friends amongst HS kids. It's nice to not only really know their friends like I said but also their families. I can't say I have met all their friends Dads, many in passing but most are generally at work during the day when we'd be getting together.
    momx2 likes this.

Expert Forum User

Question! Sorry to hijack.

how do kids who are unschooled or homeschooled get into post secondary?
    pink-lily likes this.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_ View Post

They get in, if they want to go. I forget the process it was explained on here before, didn't sound like it was too big a deal.

Someone will have a better answer!
    Kaiden'sMommy likes this.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_ View Post

They would apply like anyone else. A lot more people homeschool now. From the site I am posting for in our area to give you an idea of what it takes for the London schools. OFTP
    Fanshawe College

In June 2001, the admissions officer at Fanshawe College wrote the following:
    "At Fanshawe College we . . .allow homeschooled applicants to apply without an OSSD. For persons who are under 19 years of age, a homeschooled applicant can still be considered provided that he or she can supply the college with proof of graduation from the school centre which provides the curriculum. This is a step forward for homeschooled applicants. The only additional requirement is that all homeschooled applicants write the challenge exams (at a cost of $70 per exam) for any prerequisites (i.e., grade 12 English and grade 12 Math for our business programs). The only exception to this rule is where the homeschool courses taken are ministry approved.
    The college recognizes that homeschooling is fast becoming an option for many families. Homeschooled applicants are encouraged to apply."

-------------------------------------------------

Home School - Canadian Secondary School Admissions - Welcome to Western - Western University

Home School

Home Schooled Applicant Assessment Criteria
    At Western University, homeschooled applicants are evaluated for admission on an individual basis. In order to make a knowledgeable assessment, Western requires the following documents and supplementary materials.

• Transcript of grades indicating all subjects taken and grades earned from grades 10 through 12. These may be graded either by an independent homeshool agency or by the applicant’s parent(s). The transcript should indicate the name of each course or subject covered, the grade received in each course, and the duration of the course including the number of hours and weeks.
    • Standardized Testing Results (such as SAT I, SAT II, or ACT) sent directly to Western from the examining board.
    • Portfolio including a cover letter, course descriptions, copy of a graded essay, and a resume. For more details on the portfolio requirement, please visit the Checklist for Homeschooled Applicants.

--------------------------------------------------------------

You can click on the checklist for western to see specifics.

Kaiden'sMommy likes this.

I think if people knew just how rewarding it was the numbers would be higher. There are teachers manuals you can buy to go along with your curriculum that spell out how to teach it.

I understand it's not for everyone but I would hate for people to not do it because they thought they couldn't.
    Kaiden'sMommy and momx2 like this.

Expert Forum User

I realise I am bumping an older thread but just thought I would respond in case someone stumbles upon this thread later.

The following is a blog post I have written with our reasons for homeschooling & there is a lot of helpful information in it:

http://anniesadventuresinhomeschooli...schooling.html

There are also 2 great FB groups:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/lond...ers/?ref=br_tf

https://www.facebook.com/groups/306612649480909/

Expert Forum User

I am late in answering this question partly to do with my daughter being sick... but here goes...

First question: What is the difference between homeschooling and unschooling? I've never heard of unschooling until now. I am an unschooler meaning learning in my house is child led. That doesn't mean we don't do things out of textbooks because we do but our learning is based on my daughter. I have many books that I are in her homeschooling cart.

Pros:
    Shortly hours for schooling... I can specialize her learning to suit her learning needs!! HUGE PRO for me and my daughter.

visiting places in off hours and off season means we don't have to wait in line as long.

I get to really know my daughter since we are together all the time.

We get to have our lessons during the daytime hours making most nights free from activities. I love this!!! Piano and vocal during the day is totally awesome!

We are connected with area HSers and we do many activities with them each week.

We are also given many opportunities to give back to our community because we can go in during the daytime hours.

It really works for us but I guess that should be the first PRO now that I think about it.

Cons - Finding me time for some is an issue but I don't have that issue.

3rd: Is there a guideline/curriculum I need to follow? NOPE

4th: I'm no longer in London. I'm in Waterford (Simcoe) so where would I find the workbooks he needs? There are many resources online and Costco sells the graded books all year round pretty much we usually get some from there.
    momx2 likes this.
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie