Expert Forum User

Default Baby needs to nap longer.... how can I make this happen?

My almost 16 month old takes one nap a day and while some days she'll sleep 90 mins -2 hours, most days she wakes up after an hour, or less! She is exhausted by 11am (wakes at 6:30) so I usually put her down around then or 11:30 but since she wakes up after an hour at noon, she is just hopelessly miserable by 5:30pm. I've tried putting her back down after she gets up by rocking or nursing and sometimes it works, but usually she just lies in bed yapping to herself for 20 minutes or crying so I give up and get her up.
    she does have a fan in her room for white noise and blinds to keep it dark.
    any other ideas??

[/url]

Expert Forum User

Dont give in and let her be. She isnt hurting herself, give her a sippy cup of water in her crib and go about your day.

Expert Forum User

I agree with lc, if she's just laying there talking, leave her be.

Expert Forum User

Has her napping always been like that or did it just start? I wonder if it is just a phase? Or she discovered that she doesn't actually have to sleep because you will come get her? What if you were to try putting her down for a 1/2hr in the morning around 10:30 and then longer 4 hours later? I say 4hrs because that is the schedule DD was on for the longest time, 4hrs awake and then some kind of sleep. Once I figured out that pattern she started napping much better.

Expert Forum User

Two things you might want to try:
    - Does she typically have something to eat before napping? If she's staying up until 11:30 could you feed her some lunch and then put her down. She may be waking early because she's hungry so a good meal before might help her sleep longer.
    - When a little person in my home (my own or a daycare child) is having one nap a day and wakes before the 1.5/2 hour mark I go back in to make sure they aren't dirty, didn't lose their soother or comfort item and are generally ok. Then I will tell them it's still time to sleep and lay them back down. I don't pick them up or speak to them just "It's still sleep time" and lay them back down. Yes, they cry the first few times but usually they fall back to sleep and after I do this a few times they start to understand that I'm not getting them up yet and go back to sleep easily.
    Good luck! Nap time transitions can be hard!
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Is this new, since the daycare started? Maybe it's more commotion so she's too intrigued and doesn't want to miss out?
    My first thought was, either move lunch up so you're lying her down with a full tummy, or, lie her down earlier, and then try again around three or something. Maybe two one hour naps?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc