Default Typical sleep pattern?

Hi all...my dd is 20 months and I am trying to get a grip on her routine. She has been teething like crazy with her 2 year molars but I want to know if she is typical with her sleep (when she does sleep). I also posted this in the Wonderful 1's but wanted to hear about typical 2 year olds too.

She is usually sleeping about 10 hours at night (8pm - 6am). Sometimes longer but 10 hours is about average. Her naps are about 2 hours to 2.5 hours.

She is at home with my DH so she isn't getting overly tired during the days. I know a lot of kids this age who are in daycare who are much more tired at night and sleep longer.

I miss the 12 hours at night but am I asking too much for her to sleep 12 hours and 2 hours during the day right now? Just curious.

Thanks for the thoughts.
    Leslie

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Benjamin is 22 months and is almost the same sleep pattern.

He naps about 2-2 1/2 hours after lunch and when he goes down at night its at 9:00 and he gets up at 7:00 so its only 10 as well! I dont think that they need more then what they are sleeping!

But i know what you mean it would be nice for then to sleep longer! But then at there age there would be sleeping to much! that is what i think anyway!
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Expert Forum User

Julian is 2.5 and he sleeps 8:30-7:30 at night. Lately, he will go a couple of days without napping and then have a 3 hour nap the next day so his naps aren't consistent.

Check out this link for an idea of the average sleep needs of children of different ages:

http://www.babycenter.com/topic/7645...20070219:0:0:0
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Thanks that helps. I have a feeling something is going on with her sleep right now. Either she is having bad dreams, she is uncomfortable in her crib and ready for a big bed or she is frightened of the dark. She is waking up a lot and this isn't like her. I hope it is a stage but it has been going on for quite some time now (3-4 weeks).

She gets between 11-13 hours total during the day and seems fine with it but I miss her sleeping from 7:30 to 7am! Guess I need to just suck it up for now.

Little Mommy

Default Sleep

We found that our son, 2 in January, will not go to bed as well, or sleep as well or long if he naps too long. We need to wake him at one hour nap, or things in the night don't go well.

It's the waking a bit during the night that I question. He may be teething (only has 8 of his teeth so far), however just wants a soother and goes back to sleep (yes I know I should get rid of the soother too).

Any thoughts on the waking, I am open for ideas.

Default Re: Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Little Mommy
    We found that our son, 2 in January, will not go to bed as well, or sleep as well or long if he naps too long. We need to wake him at one hour nap, or things in the night don't go well.

It's the waking a bit during the night that I question. He may be teething (only has 8 of his teeth so far), however just wants a soother and goes back to sleep (yes I know I should get rid of the soother too).

Any thoughts on the waking, I am open for ideas.
    It just proves how different they are. If Abbi only gets a 1 hour nap she is a major grump and can't handle things until bed. We are going back to making sure she is awake when we put her to bed. She favours DH putting her to bed and he has been rocking her a bit and I think that is what has been happening. The last two nights she has gone to bed awake and has slept through.....I wish I had more advice but that is all we have found.