Default Breastfeeding and your monthly cycle

For all moms who have continued breastfeeding after your period has returned I have a question. How has breastfeeding effected your cycles? When your period begins does it start out rather light or is it free flowing from the moment it starts? Some months is your period heavier and some months lighter depending on how often your LO is breastfeeding? My period has not been as regular and I'm wondering if it's stress or because of breastfeeding. Thanks in advance!

breastfeeding didn't effect my cycle at all or at least I didn't notice any changes. I must say before pregnancy, my period was not as heavy and minimal cramping or no cramping at all. Now after the baby usually heavy periods and cramping.

Mine always came back while I was breastfeeding, and it started out much heavier than normal for me. The first couple days were always awful! I was pretty regular, but mine have always pretty regular. I think stress affects me worse than breastfeeding ever did.

Expert Forum User

Mine came back right away. It was slightly irregular for a few cycles (like 29 days, 32 days, 31 days) - nothing crazy though. It was heavy, no/minimal cramping (and I was a curl up in the bathroom and cry cramper) -- I thought it was heavier from breastfeeding but that is my new normal now.

Expert Forum User

Mine came back it was light and last 2 days

Expert Forum User

My first two were ginormously heavy and miserable with no real schedule to them. Now we're down to a bit longish cycle and extremely light. In fact, so much so that I'm a bit worried about why they are so light.

Expert Forum User

Mine were fairly regular after the first few months. Before that they were all over the map. I think it's common for them to be off during bfing

Note mine affected my supply, my LOs would be super fussy (low supply) then I would get my period and would be engorged with too much milk (good time to stock the freezer). Every.single.month. Drove me crazy.

Expert Forum User

Mine have started out lighter than normal, but this month it's basically back to my pre-baby cycle. My cramps and PMS symptoms are non-existant which has been awesome. Every cycle has been 5 days late which has freaked me out.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*