Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: If you have a child entering J/K in September can they write their name?

Expert Forum User

Default If you have a child entering J/K in September can they write their name?

DD is 3.5 and is starting school in September and the school sent a preparing for school list thing and it suggests that they'd like her to know how to write her first and last name before starting.

DD doesn't know how to write her alphabet or anything like that and definitely can't write her name.

Can your soon to be J/Ker write their name?

My dd is 3.5 and can recognize the letter S, but she cannot write it. Her name starts with S. She cannot write any letters except O.

DS1 is starting JK and he has been writing his name for almost a year. He is behind on other stuff though so I think it all evens out

Expert Forum User

Yes. Just her first name though. She's been able to write her first name for a while, but she's not interested in learning to write her surname.

They'll learn soon enough!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Yes, DD will be 4 in Oct and is going to JK. She can recognize most letters of the alphabet and can print her first name in block capitals. (Her name is only 3 letters). She can also print Mom, Dad, and cat.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

DD can write her first name but not in the correct order and she leaves out 1 vowel...but no way can she write her lastname....she can cut with scissors etc...honestly I'm not worried I keep thinking I ended up ok and learned everything I needed to learn so not stressing about it.

my kids could not write their first name before JK...and well their last name - for those that know me on here would totally understand that my kids definitely could not write it....my oldest could spell/write our last name in grade 1....ds1 has absolutely no clue how to spell/write it and he will be going into grade 2

Expert Forum User

Yeah she's been writing her first name for probably a year and a half. And it's 6 letters. She can write all letters as long as you spell her the word.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

DD2 could barely last year (you know what her name is though ) and she had the teachers convinced she couldn't, I had to tell them to tell her to knock it off and write it at P-T interviews. That child... Anyway, lots of kids in her class couldn't/wouldn't either bc the artwork would have the letters to trace or the teacher had written it for them.

My DS is a January baby, so he's 3.5 but has another year. He knows all of his letters but can barely draw a circle, never mind a letter of any kind.

DD1 could do first and last in preschool. Guess we slacked off after her
    Last edited by AuntPetunia; 08-16-2013 at 11:47 PM.
    one ordinary girl likes this.

Expert Forum User

DS3 is going into JK and can print both names and a few other things since last summer. He is a January baby and was totally ready last September except he was two weeks too young.
    DS1 is a Dec. baby though and he could also write before JK, my April baby could not write anything and is now going into grade 1 and he can do everything that he was supposed to be able to do in kindergarten. Every child is different, she'll be fine. At our JK orientation in June we were in groups of 6 and DS was the only one that could do his name (first or last) and the only one that knew how to hold scissors and cut around the lines, but I'm sure the other kids will be fine too.

My son is 4 1/2, starting JK in spetember and can only sort of write the first letter of his name. He has no interest in learning his letters and numbers (although they teach them at daycare). They never requested this when my daughter started JK and judging from other kids I've seen it sounds liek to much to expect, some kids will know already, many others will learn in JK.
    Last edited by lulismommy; 08-17-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Expert Forum User

Every child enters with different abilities. I wouldn't stress over it!

Expert Forum User

Mine have not been able to write their names by JK- they have learned, at least to a basic extent, to do it during JK. Ditto with cut with scissors etc, mine are not very advanced at that kind of stuff I have a January baby too so he won't be going this year, which is a good thing because he isn't ready.
    I have 4 boys ages 7, 5, and 3 and newborn

Mine could right her first name, but not her last name.

Expert Forum User

Mine could not. A lot of JKs can't, they have them trace their name until they can write it. It took him a couple of months. I don't think he even knows how to spell his last name and he's going into SK (oops?)

[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast