Default Typical sleep pattern?

Hi all...my dd is 20 months and I am trying to get a grip on her routine. She has been teething like crazy with her 2 year molars but I want to know if she is typical with her sleep (when she does sleep).

She is usually sleeping about 10 hours at night (8pm - 6am). Sometimes longer but 10 hours is about average. Her naps are about 2 hours to 2.5 hours.

She is at home with my DH so she isn't getting overly tired during the days. I know a lot of kids this age who are in daycare who are much more tired at night and sleep longer.

I miss the 12 hours at night but am I asking too much for her to sleep 12 hours and 2 hours during the day right now? Just curious.

Thanks for the thoughts.
    Leslie

You are lucky! Be thankful you get what you get! I am lucky to get 8 hrs in a row.
    Here is my thread on this very issue! If you know a secret I am open to options!
    http://londonmoms.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=57259#57259

Expert Forum User

It's like you were reading my mind. I was JUST thinking about this same thing when I went to bed last night! My DD is almost exactly the same in sleep. She is almost 22 months old and sleeps from 8 until 6 or 6:30 (used to be till 7) and has one nap in the afternoon after lunch (it varies but somewhere between an hour and a half and two hours). I was just thinking that I should probably see if I can find the average, healthy number of hours that this age should get. It's nice to know that your DD is about the same.

P.S. She is in daycare 2-3 days a week and doesn't usually sleep any different except that we find she's more restless in the night, moving around a lot. She's very quiet at daycare and I think she sucks up all of her frustrations and then thinks about them at night!!

ou are lucky! Be thankful you get what you get! I am lucky to get 8 hrs in a row.
    I am not trying to rub salt in your wound sharmom - my little nephew is the same way and I know it's very exhausting for my sister
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Quote Originally Posted by sharmom
    You are lucky! Be thankful you get what you get! I am lucky to get 8 hrs in a row.
    Here is my thread on this very issue! If you know a secret I am open to options!
    http://londonmoms.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=57259#57259
    I should say that she has not been sleeping through the night lately and that is one reason I am asking. She was a great sleeper as a baby and I knew how lucky we were but for the last while she has had rough nights. Either not going to bed until late or waking between 2 and 4am. Some nights she won't settle again.

When we do get a solid 10 hours in a row right now we are very happy! My secret in the past was a good routine and watching her signs. Now it seems more complicated.

OHNO! Does this mean I am in for another rollercoaster ride in a few more months??? I better enjoy it while it lasts!

My son goes to bed around 7:15pm and sleeps through until 6-6:15 am. He takes 1.5-2 hour naps. The past few nights he has been crying out in his sleep and his cheeks are red. I'm wondering if he's getting more teeth. I put my finger in his mouth to feel around and of course he chomped down! He doesn't have a temp or loose BM that have accompanied teething symptoms in the past. I'm lucky as he's easy to re settle if he wakes up.
    Mom to the Desmanian Devil ( May 05 )

Expert Forum User

My DD sleeps for about 11 hours at night (IF she doesn't wake up and this is very hit and miss). As for naps - some days she won't have one and some days it can be me waking her up after 3 hours. It depends on how well she slept the night before. I'd say that every LO has there own schedule and as long as they are happy and rested then it's fine for them (unfortunately just not for us at times - lol).

A little off topic here... HOW do you guys know what tooth is coming in. As per PP if I try to stick my finger in DD mouth, I seriously risk losing it!

My youngest will be 2 in May, and Im sad to say she does not sleep through the night...I had no problems with my other 3 and spoiled the last one off the top..and boy am I kicking myself now!

She goes to bed usually around 8pm..but needs to sit in her high chair with it reclined back, then you can carry her to bed once shes asleep. She will wake up once or twice during the night and is awake between 7-8am.

She does not nap much we are lucky to get her down for an hour. But I must add when I had her, she was the only newborn baby in the hospital that was awake all night..I had her at 455 pm, she slept the first couple hours, then I think it was 10pm the party began and she didn't sleep again until 5am...

My other 3 only my oldest sleeps through the night, the other 2 still wake up, but don't cause too much of a fuss.

Donna.

Thanks everyone for sharing...it helps to know we aren't alone I guess.

I have a feeling something is going on with her sleep right now. Either she is having bad dreams, she is uncomfortable in her crib and ready for a big bed or she is frightened of the dark. She is waking up a lot and this isn't like her. I hope it is a stage but it has been going on for quite some time now (3-4 weeks).

She gets between 11-13 hours total during the day and seems fine with it but I miss her sleeping from 7:30 to 7am! Guess I need to just suck it up for now. When she is a teenager we will likely need to convice her to get up in the morning right?