Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: Streetcar shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_ View Post
    I dont think you should wave a knife and tell everyone to get off board, but I dont think you should shoot a guy nine times. Both made awful mistakes.

reminds me of the guy who ate the other guys ear on a bus a few years ago. Remember him?
    It didn't remind me of that guy, but it did remind me of the polish man who was tazered to death, though.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I have watched and rewatched that video now 100s of times

1) before the first set of shots he is still at the first of windows in the front of the street car and no officers near him

2) they still tazed after shooting him nine times

3)
    Blair confirmed on Monday that he had watched the video and had serious questions about the actions of his officers.
    to me that says alot that quote is from the article so if the chief of police is questioning the actions of the cops so should we.

4) yes age means squat here he was a legal adult

5) its was very rushed, in the start of the video you see a cab drive past they then blocked traffic and shot so no not alot of time was spent talking to the person or calming them down anything.

I agree with londoner mom here on what she says.
    gogomom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonerMom View Post
    It didn't remind me of that guy, but it did remind me of the polish man who was tazered to death, though.
    Edmond Yu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is actually what this case is most similiar too

I think it's normal to want answers, like SP mentioned even the Chief himself does.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    Edmond Yu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is actually what this case is most similiar too
    You are right, logistically they are more similar.

For me though, I was instantly reminded of the questionable police action in both of these cases (streetcar shooting vs death of the polish man).

You are right, logistically they are more similar.

For me though, I was instantly reminded of the questionable police action in both of these cases (streetcar shooting vs death of the polish man).
    I get that, my thought of Mr.Yu was the fact I knew him we both slept in front of the same place and he was always at scott mission the guy was harmless

I get that, my thought of Mr.Yu was the fact I knew him we both slept in front of the same place and he was always at scott mission the guy was harmless
    Wow, I imagine that must have had a big impact on you! I don't think I've ever known anyone involved in anything. My life is quite boring in that respect!

Quote Originally Posted by Happily Ever After View Post
    I was hoping you would comment Laurensmom.. you certainly know more about procedures from the rest of us
    I am curious as to why they would not have used the taser first? (unless they did and it has not be disclosed)... Would there not be steps that are suppose to be done first that are non-lethal before an officer fires?
    As I mentioned earlier, if you are close enough to taser someone with a knife, you are close enough to get stabbed by him.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

In no way do I intend to imply that police officers are disposable - I certainly do not agree with that at all. They are providing a huge service to the community and it's a great responsibility, I can only imagine. But the public has the right to question how things went down, because you never know when you or a loved one can get caught up in something.

I personally do not believe this person was a threat to the public at that time. He was one person with a knife against 10+ officers with guns and tazers. If he wanted to hurt someone, why would he have cleared out the bus? Maybe he was having some kind of break down, I can't imagine anyone in that situation not being in some kind of altered mental state. Could it have been a cry for help?

Yes, he was in the wrong without a doubt for putting himself in that situation. I'm not trying to defend him in that sense at all, but I have a very hard time understanding how him being on an empty street car with a knife should equal him losing his life.

The bottom line is that he was contained in a bus, he wasn't running rampant on the streets. The police could have blocked off the door to the bus and let him stew in it all night until they could calm him down or get him talking or get family involved. I thought the point was to de-escalate a situation. It seems like he was cornered and wound up dead. It just seems like it all happened very quickly and not enough time was spent trying to save him.
    He was shot when he attempted to LEAVE the bus through the front door, without dropping his knife.

Expert Forum User

In no way do I intend to imply that police officers are disposable - I certainly do not agree with that at all. They are providing a huge service to the community and it's a great responsibility, I can only imagine. But the public has the right to question how things went down, because you never know when you or a loved one can get caught up in something.

I personally do not believe this person was a threat to the public at that time. He was one person with a knife against 10+ officers with guns and tazers. If he wanted to hurt someone, why would he have cleared out the bus? Maybe he was having some kind of break down, I can't imagine anyone in that situation not being in some kind of altered mental state. Could it have been a cry for help?

Yes, he was in the wrong without a doubt for putting himself in that situation. I'm not trying to defend him in that sense at all, but I have a very hard time understanding how him being on an empty street car with a knife should equal him losing his life.

The bottom line is that he was contained in a bus, he wasn't running rampant on the streets. The police could have blocked off the door to the bus and let him stew in it all night until they could calm him down or get him talking or get family involved. I thought the point was to de-escalate a situation. It seems like he was cornered and wound up dead. It just seems like it all happened very quickly and not enough time was spent trying to save him.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by laurensmom View Post
    He was shot when he attempted to LEAVE the bus through the front door, without dropping his knife.
    UM when you watch the video he was at the front door for only a BRIEF second and then moved back away from the door BEFORE shots rang out

New Toronto streetcar video shows moments before shooting - Toronto - CBC News

sorry he was not standing at the door in this newly released video when he was shot he had moved BACK a few steps closer to the window AWAY from the cops.

He had a knife not a gun the police could have used a number of different ways to stop him like I dunno maybe calling the swat team or someone to negotiate first before shooting?

UM when you watch the video he was at the front door for only a BRIEF second and then moved back away from the door BEFORE shots rang out

New Toronto streetcar video shows moments before shooting - Toronto - CBC News

sorry he was not standing at the door in this newly released video when he was shot he had moved BACK a few steps closer to the window AWAY from the cops.

He had a knife not a gun the police could have used a number of different ways to stop him like I dunno maybe calling the swat team or someone to negotiate first before shooting?
    I don't see any shots happening in that video?

Streetcar shooting: Toronto police officer suspended - Toronto - CBC News

The Toronto police officer who shot a teenager on a downtown streetcar two days ago has been suspended from his job with pay, CBC News has learned.

The news about the officer's suspension comes hours after police Chief Bill Blair told reporters that people "have every right to be concerned" after an 18-year-old man armed with a knife on a downtown streetcar was shot repeatedly and killed by police this weekend — an incident captured by amateur video.

Blair said he has seen the video, which was posted online.

"I am very aware that the public is very concerned about this tragic event," he told media in a prepared statement. "They have every right to be concerned."
    from the article

I get Lm's point of view but I think we as a society need to question this but like I said when your own chief of police is concerned about what happened then something is wrong.

I am all for people facing the consequences of thier actions I have watched my kid at 11 get kneed in the gut by cops and taken by 4 at once and not once have I said overuse of force given the situation but this one damn straight I do fully believe the cop had a ton of other options other shooting NINE times.

and just to make clear its not as if multiple officers shot at once its one cop shooting nine times

Enhanced video - Shooting of Sammy Yatim by Toronto Police - YouTube

this video is very clear he was not in the entrance of the door before shots were fired.

Security camera footage of police shooting on TTC streetcar - YouTube

that video shows him go down again he was NOT standing in the doorway of the streetcar.

the only thing took 6 minutes according to the second video I linked to

Expert Forum User

Maybe cops are quicker to shoot now a days because theres been a lot of horrible things that have happened lately.
    Maybe they didnt known he only had a knife? What if he had a
    bomb and blew everyone up before they could wrestle him. I dont know, just thinking out loud.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast