Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: Streetcar shooting

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDavis View Post
    Yeah. I feel the same way.

And on that note, I am all done with this thread. I will no longer be reading it or responding to it. Just an FYI.
    Last edited by laurensmom; 08-01-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by laurensmom View Post
    Yeah. I feel the same way.

And on that note, I am all done with this thread. I will no longer be reading it or responding to it. Just an FYI.
    Woo Hoo!

Oh givemeafreakingbreak. You cannot honestly say that if a mentally ill person killed your spouse of child you would be thinking it was OK that the police chose to allow that to happen vs stopping the threat when he demonstrated violence and a refusal to stop moving toward the public. Bull.

I would state to my nephew's parent, my spouse or anyone who asked, that I would rather the police shoot a violent person in a psychotic stated than that person kill someone else. Without a doubt.

I wonder what the family of that guy on the bus in BC would say out it?
    First the Tim Mclean murder was on a bus near Manitoba

Killing of Tim McLean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and in that case they OMG manged to NOT shoot the man once he was ALONE on the bus they tasered him and had him surrounded.

also in that case there was no warning of what he was about to do.

These two cases are still extremely different

1) the Tim Mclean case the guy showed no indication of what he was about to do and the cops acted right they surrounded him, tasered him and talked with him becasue they realized the guy was by then ALONE and no longer dangerous to anyone

2) Mr.Yatim hurt NOONE was ALONE and killed with in SIX minutes by NINE shots

yeah big difference

Bolded part

You would seriously say that to your nephews family? Im just speechless I am seriously speechless

god I sure hope your nephew never has a mental break lest you pray he is shot cause god forbid he be alone and upset and alone in a situation you deem dangerous enough to warrant death and thank god you are not a cop cause honestly we have enough bad ones with out adding to it

Let's look at it this way ladies. If anything, the police did stop a crime. He was only a danger to himself being on that bus alone. They stopped any chance of him killing himself. After all, suicide is illegal in Canada. I am sure his parents are so relieved that he won't be doing any jail time. Yay...

Quote Originally Posted by LondonerMom View Post
    Let's look at it this way ladies. If anything, the police did stop a crime. He was only a danger to himself being on that bus alone. They stopped any chance of him killing himself. After all, suicide is illegal in Canada. I am sure his parents are so relieved that he won't be doing any jail time. Yay...
    yep all the did in the end was exterminate one more person with possible mental health issues they saved the government money great for them

On a serious note I bet if this was not a young guy in 14 division (which if you are from Toronto or do a bit of research you will know they cover the hardest areas so they see this stuff all the time and have a horrid rep for abuse of power) and instead if it was a clean cut middle age guy in a suit in a rich area I betcha they would NOT have shot they would have talked all night if need be.
    pink-lily likes this.

Expert Forum User

I am really sticken by the way this thread has turned out... Wow.

It is not okay to shoot someone with (or without) a mental illness because they aren't hearing/listening to instruction properly and took 1 step forward. It's not like he took that 1 step aggressively, it was a slow step.. If he had started running at the front, okay that's more aggressive I suppose, but he didn't. He took 1 step forward.

I'm really glad that not all officers think the way you do Laurensmom otherwise I likely wouldn't be here either.

Sometimes all anyone needs is someone to TALK to. It didn't appear that anybody even tried that... they were all so quick to draw their weapons and take aim. I don't believe this man had intentions of hurting anyone in the general public, otherwise he wouldn't have ordered everyone off the bus.

It makes me crazy that you're not seeing that... I wouldn't have felt as if I were in danger in that moment. I would probably have tried to talk to the guy honestly. And I can say what I would do, because I have.

I don't like the shoot now, ask questions later theme going on in the officers defense... it's just not right. Plain and simple.
    Last edited by IsisBaily; 08-01-2013 at 07:40 PM.
    pink-lily likes this.

WOW I didn't think this would escalate as far as it did

The kids life has been taken away by the police officer and he didn't get a chance to get the help that he need it.
    I don't get it, it was a small knife not a gun and he could have been contained by the officers. Instead they went to the most extreme possible way of dealing with the situation. I think they mishandled it and probably get away scot free after another water down investigation. So much for the truth and so much for justice.

I thought he was killed 2min after the police got there, 6 min after the car stopped?
    sittingpretty and pink-lily like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntPetunia View Post
    I thought he was killed 2min after the police got there, 6 min after the car stopped?
    LOVE you.

I rewatched the video from the corner store that shows start to end

second video

For Sammy Yatim?s death, no explanation will ever be enough: DiManno | Toronto Star

I was VERY mistaken saying six minutes its the film is 6 mins he is actually shot (you can see him go down) at the 58 SECOND mark.

it goes from the start where you see regular everyday joe folks in view of the camera to falling from the first 3 shots in a whole 58 seconds.

not even a whole minute was the young man given to drop the weapon
    not even a minute spent waiting for crisis task force or mental health folks
    not even a minute till the guy was dead

society should be outraged that a mans life was not considered worth even a minute of time when he was all ALONE on a streetcar surronded by cops

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    LOVE you.

I rewatched the video from the corner store that shows start to end

second video

For Sammy Yatim?s death, no explanation will ever be enough: DiManno | Toronto Star

I was VERY mistaken saying six minutes its the film is 6 mins he is actually shot (you can see him go down) at the 58 SECOND mark.

it goes from the start where you see regular everyday joe folks in view of the camera to falling from the first 3 shots in a whole 58 seconds.

not even a whole minute was the young man given to drop the weapon
    not even a minute spent waiting for crisis task force or mental health folks
    not even a minute till the guy was dead

society should be outraged that a mans life was not considered worth even a minute of time when he was all ALONE on a streetcar surronded by cops
    Wow that is WRONG!
    He doesn't look threatening at ALL to me either standing in that street car... he moves toward the dash, looks like he put something down (the knife?) and then he's shot.. the guys pacing! He's distressed, not acting aggressively! UGH

Here is a video you should watch. Play by play analysis by a cop. I agree with most of what he says.

Watch: Former police officer analyzes streetcar shooting video - Toronto | Globalnews.ca
    I don't mean to jump in late in the game, but I just got a chance to watch this and unless its edited since first posted, I did not hear the officer say the shooting was at all justified. He gives many suggestions at the end on how it should've been handled, never says that the guy was showing overt aggression and is very neutrally pointing out things he sees. If anything, I would consider his views more in line with members here and the general public following this case regarding questions that should be asked, not the officer who shot nor the one that tasered. His suggestions were completely logical as were the questions raised about why no one TALKED to him, closed the doors, used a bike... Anyway. Sad thing is, I'm pretty sure this is going to amount to nothing, even with all of the video evidence. The cop will get a slap on the wrist, if that.

Also, the reason no one tasered him instead of shooting was not because of a fear of being stabbed through their Kevlar vest as was suggested here but according to the former officer in that video it was because none of those cops had tasers, only their seargent or whomever it is that carries tasers had one. They chose not to wait for him, but instead to shoot him dead and then taser him a minute later when he arrives.
    LondonerMom and sittingpretty like this.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Really? I always thought that all cops were equipped with tasers! The things I learn.
    pink-lily likes this.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    On a serious note I bet if this was not a young guy in 14 division (which if you are from Toronto or do a bit of research you will know they cover the hardest areas so they see this stuff all the time and have a horrid rep for abuse of power) and instead if it was a clean cut middle age guy in a suit in a rich area I betcha they would NOT have shot they would have talked all night if need be.
    I bet you are right on this as well.
    sittingpretty likes this.

Why does it matter what they would have done, should have done, could have done if the guy was white, old, clean, etc?

That is irrelevant. Its happened, its done.

I havent read more than this last page but I dont need to. Unless you were at the scene when it happened then I dont see how you can really judge.
    laurensmom likes this.