Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: Streetcar shooting

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Streetcar shooting

Is there already a thread about this?
    I just was reading about it tonight and watched a YouTube video - what do you all think? Excessive force?
    AuntPetunia likes this.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default 18yo killed by TO Police

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

I was looking for Curious George videos on youtube this morning and this was the top video, so I watched it not really sure what I was watching. Crazy. I didn't realize he was killed. The video was so confusing since you can't hear what's going on, but wow, all those gunshots?? I'm glad it's being investigated.

I just created a thread on this too - unreal
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

He was advancing on them, with a knife. He was told, MULTIPLE times to drop the knife and did not. I knife WILL puncture a bullet proof vest. His age is irrelevant.
    planejane likes this.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

In the video, I can't see any movement at all. I don't understand why they wouldn't taze him first. Why 9 shots? If he had a gun or if there were hostages involved, I can understand brute force. But as it appears now, I'm heavily leaning towards police brutality on this one. Didn't he even order everyone off of the bus? Doesn't sound like he was an immediate threat to the public in that moment. I guess we won't really know everything until the investigation is over.

Expert Forum User

I dont think you should wave a knife and tell everyone to get off board, but I dont think you should shoot a guy nine times. Both made awful mistakes.

reminds me of the guy who ate the other guys ear on a bus a few years ago. Remember him?

Expert Forum User

I do feel 9 shots is excessive. 1-2 shots in limbs would have been more then ample (or a tazer). Don't tazer him after he's already been shot.

Yes, he is advancing toward the exit on the video. If you are close enough to taze a suspect with a knife you are close enough for them to kill you.
    planejane and Carol like this.

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    I do feel 9 shots is excessive. 1-2 shots in limbs would have been more then ample (or a tazer). Don't tazer him after he's already been shot.
    Police are taught NOT to aim for limbs the probablity that you miss is too great. You aim for large body mass. Tazed because he was STILL holding the knife and they HAD TO get close to him.
    Last edited by laurensmom; 07-30-2013 at 06:54 AM.
    planejane likes this.

I was hoping you would comment Laurensmom.. you certainly know more about procedures from the rest of us
    I am curious as to why they would not have used the taser first? (unless they did and it has not be disclosed)... Would there not be steps that are suppose to be done first that are non-lethal before an officer fires?

Expert Forum User

His age is irrelevant IMO he was a threat, how would everyone feel if they attempted to taze him and he managed to kill a police officer in the process? The police are out there putting their lives at risk, I am sure none of them woke up in the morning thinking I am going to shoot some young man today and use excessive force because I am a big bad police man. He was a danger to the public that is what we have them for to protect us. 1 shot to the head or 9 to the body same result, he dies and is no longer a threat to the public.

It is horrible that he died yes and I am sorry for his family, but he CHOOSE to have the knife and not put it down when he was told.

Expert Forum User

seriously why does laurensmom or anyone have to defend the police every single time something happens.
    why are police officers "disposable" they have kids and families too. no way in freaking hell would i be coming anywhere near a psycho kid god knows on what drugs waving a knife. yeah i would shoot him. they couldn't get close enough to taze him, he was in a metal streetcar.
    planejane likes this.

I dont see anyone asking them to defend them at all? I said that I was glad that she chimed in because she knows more about procedures etc... and could clarify things.
    No one said a police office is disposable but neither is anyone, including that young man. People are upset about what occured. To me that is understandable regardless if the police office was right or wrong. I see nothing wrong with people questioning and discussing what occured? The more we learn about how things are done or why, the less 'outrage' there will be regarding situations.

In no way do I intend to imply that police officers are disposable - I certainly do not agree with that at all. They are providing a huge service to the community and it's a great responsibility, I can only imagine. But the public has the right to question how things went down, because you never know when you or a loved one can get caught up in something.

I personally do not believe this person was a threat to the public at that time. He was one person with a knife against 10+ officers with guns and tazers. If he wanted to hurt someone, why would he have cleared out the bus? Maybe he was having some kind of break down, I can't imagine anyone in that situation not being in some kind of altered mental state. Could it have been a cry for help?

Yes, he was in the wrong without a doubt for putting himself in that situation. I'm not trying to defend him in that sense at all, but I have a very hard time understanding how him being on an empty street car with a knife should equal him losing his life.

The bottom line is that he was contained in a bus, he wasn't running rampant on the streets. The police could have blocked off the door to the bus and let him stew in it all night until they could calm him down or get him talking or get family involved. I thought the point was to de-escalate a situation. It seems like he was cornered and wound up dead. It just seems like it all happened very quickly and not enough time was spent trying to save him.
    AuntPetunia, gogomom and pink-lily like this.

Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast