Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By doda94
  • 2 Post By a_bun_in_the_oven

Thread: before you vote in the by-election

Default before you vote in the by-election

Remember that the liberal government has given us,

all day kindergarten costing more than daycare and putting daycares out of business. having 3 year olds attending daily all-day school, including busing.

The Orange fiasco with hiring of untrained family and girlfriends, paying for university educations of family, paying for expensive Paris trips meanwhile there is a shortage of pilots and patients health and safety is at risk

OHIP issues with some people not being able to get the medicine or treatments they need. Long wait times at ER's and for surgery and cancer treatment while the Sunshine list of Hospital administrators and other personnel at health related agencies such as ehealth, Centre for Addiction & Mental Health, Cancer Care Ontario, etc. is humoungus Public Sector Salary Disclosure

Teacher's strike and no extracurricular activities in 2012/13

This Sunshine list for Ontario 'public servants' that we pay with our taxes and future. Public Sector Salary Disclosure SOmw of these employess are public municipal public servants, not provincial

EMDC overcrowding and safety issues for prisoners and workers

The daycare death of a child that the Ministry failed to investigate after two complaints.
    Last edited by nananana; 07-12-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Forgot what started me on this tangent was the stupid metered electricity. Those who are SAHM, homemakers, shift workers or retired persons are penalized for using electricity during the day. I would prefer to do the laundry early in the day so that I can hang it on the line, thus using less electricity ultimately.

Expert Forum User

And don't forget the absolutely ridiculous waste of taxpayer's dollars in the Green Energy Act!!!

And the HUNDREDS of million dollars wasted in re-locating the power plants solely for the purpose of *winning* the last provincial election!
    Nemo and britmum like this.

Expert Forum User

And what is the solution? These are some big issues, and I don't think one political party has solutions all of our issues.

If you reduce public sector pay -- the local economy will suffer. Disposable incomes will drop (as things like mortgages and car payments don't just go away) -- resulting in reduced spending within the community. Home prices will drop significantly, construction jobs will be hard to find. It all has a ripple effect.

Yes - I think the power plant situation is ridiculous.

FDK - ECEs have gone from mainly $11-13 to $20+ an hour working for the school board, taking them to a living wage.

Yes, there are wait lists in hospitals, that hasn't changed in a while. I'm not overly family with the jail situation, so I'm not going to comment.
    NicChick and ChinUp like this.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by nananana View Post
    Remember that the liberal government has given us,

all day kindergarten costing more than daycare and putting daycares out of business. having 3 year olds attending daily all-day school, including busing.

The Orange fiasco with hiring of untrained family and girlfriends, paying for university educations of family, paying for expensive Paris trips meanwhile there is a shortage of pilots and patients health and safety is at risk

OHIP issues with some people not being able to get the medicine or treatments they need. Long wait times at ER's and for surgery and cancer treatment while the Sunshine list of Hospital administrators and other personnel at health related agencies such as ehealth, Centre for Addiction & Mental Health, Cancer Care Ontario, etc. is humoungus Public Sector Salary Disclosure

Teacher's strike and no extracurricular activities in 2012/13

This Sunshine list for Ontario 'public servants' that we pay with our taxes and future. Public Sector Salary Disclosure SOmw of these employess are public municipal public servants, not provincial

EMDC overcrowding and safety issues for prisoners and workers

The daycare death of a child that the Ministry failed to investigate after two complaints.
    Don't forget HUGE severance packages for Dalton and for Laurel Brotten (former Education Minister).......both of whom said "There is no money" over and over during the teacher issue.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

"I'm not going to raise your taxes, but I'm not going to raise them either". Except for the health tax they rolled into th taxes already deducted from our pay, so we take home less.
    Which is fine if they actually spend it on healthcare. If they have I dont know where it goes. LHSC faces a budget cut or less than inflation raise every single year while being asked to do more and more each year.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    And what is the solution? These are some big issues, and I don't think one political party has solutions all of our issues.

FDK - ECEs have gone from mainly $11-13 to $20+ an hour working for the school board, taking them to a living wage.
    ECE wages could have been increased in a daycare scenario at a much reduced cost vs. implementing FDK in schools which is literally costing us BILLIONS of dollars to have virtually the SAME program as they would/could have had in daycares.

Unfortunately, you're right about any one party having the right solution but I can assure you that no Liberal will be getting any of my votes.

FYI, many of the people working in the FDK classrooms have the qualifications to be EAs but many CHOSE to move into the FDK positions because it was more $$$ and easier/"funner" which has created a shortage of qualified EAs.

Quote Originally Posted by doda94 View Post
    ECE wages could have been increased in a daycare scenario at a much reduced cost vs. implementing FDK in schools which is literally costing us BILLIONS of dollars to have virtually the SAME program as they would/could have had in daycares.

Unfortunately, you're right about any one party having the right solution but I can assure you that no Liberal will be getting any of my votes.

FYI, many of the people working in the FDK classrooms have the qualifications to be EAs but many CHOSE to move into the FDK positions because it was more $$$ and easier/"funner" which has created a shortage of qualified EAs.
    It may be the same program that they could have in daycares but the problem is that not every child had access to those daycare programs. Providing the programs in the school ensures that every child, regardless of the parents income or even if they are working, now has access to a good quality early childhood education. Personally, having learned about the full day kindergarten program while I was in school, I think it is money well spent. It’s about time the government acknowledges the importance of the early years and provides funding for it to ensure every child has an opportunity to have the best start to their education. While Canada still falls behind most countries in terms of early childhood programs, this is at least a step in the right direction.
    I wasn’t aware that there was a shortage of EA’s. Personally I would love to work as an EA, but from what I heard its difficult even for DSW’s to get positions, so as an ECE I would have an even harder time. I was told that the only way to get a position was to start as a supply, and while I would love to do this I can’t afford to not have a steady reliable income. Maybe there is a shortage in other areas of Ontario, but as far as I know for TVDSB there is a long wait to get an EA position.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mommy_to_2 View Post
    It may be the same program that they could have in daycares but the problem is that not every child had access to those daycare programs. Providing the programs in the school ensures that every child, regardless of the parents income or even if they are working, now has access to a good quality early childhood education. Personally, having learned about the full day kindergarten program while I was in school, I think it is money well spent. It’s about time the government acknowledges the importance of the early years and provides funding for it to ensure every child has an opportunity to have the best start to their education. While Canada still falls behind most countries in terms of early childhood programs, this is at least a step in the right direction.
    I wasn’t aware that there was a shortage of EA’s. Personally I would love to work as an EA, but from what I heard its difficult even for DSW’s to get positions, so as an ECE I would have an even harder time. I was told that the only way to get a position was to start as a supply, and while I would love to do this I can’t afford to not have a steady reliable income. Maybe there is a shortage in other areas of Ontario, but as far as I know for TVDSB there is a long wait to get an EA position.
    The same thing could have been accomplished by allowing the kids into daycares (where the most of the spaces already existed) vs. schools all at a much lower cost. Instead, the program has placed many, many daycares in a precarious financial position.